FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

New to the forum and the the FN SCAR 17. Broke it down and cleaned it today and I noticed that inside the Bolt Carrier Group (Moving Parts Assembly) there are traces of light rust where the bolt sits and where the spring assembly sits. I cleaned it with CLP and a brush but none of it came off. Is this a cause for concern or should I just not worry about it.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
No cause for alarm, when I first cleaned my 16s the BC was covered with very light rust especially the RSA hole. It probably still has some rust dust in it since it was a royal PITA to get it out. I wouldn't worry just keep it lightly covered in the oil of your choice. Me, I Frog Lubed it but will soon be switching to FireClean. YMMV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cause for alarm, when I first cleaned my 16s the BC was covered with very light rust especially the RSA hole. It probably still has some rust dust in it since it was a royal PITA to get it out. I wouldn't worry about just keep it lightly covered in the oil of your choice. Me, I Frog Lubed it but will soon be switching to FireClean. YMMV
Yup that's what I did. Can't wait to shoot it. Got some Tango Down Accessories on order.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Right On.... Choot Dat Mudda.... !
I will admit that is one weapon that I never looked for rust on.... I can remember being a " lurker " reading for months it seemed before I bought my 17... To me at 1st it was a huge investment .... I never had bought anything of that price-range... I went and picked her up one evening , made a package deal for 2K of some 1990/91 Mil Surp " and a .308 Ret Acog.... It was a trunk to trunk deal down in Hamtramck with some crazed Pole-mobster from my past.... Rolled up out of there.... back down 8-Mile " armed to the teeth " and back to base camp. Don't ask me why they had a trunk full of 17's down there but you could say it's a war zone ( more or less ) LOL....
I believe I got it home , stroked her for a while marched around in front of a few mirrors... just to see how bad arse " I looked " ! ! !.... Then the next day went and shot 2-300 rds down the pipe !
I believe I got it so dirty there wasn't time for any rust to take hold....

( In all seriousness... I have seen some light surface rust on a few of my weapons but only in inconvenient areas... everything I have had always wiped off or I used some copper choreboy to help work it out of whatever miniscule corner it was in.... Hard to get away from a little surface rust since " IRON " is a key mineral in most metals ) I don't worry about that too much now a days... but early on in my shooting hobby " everything " used to bother me.... )

Here are some pics of "How we Roll " down 8 Mile over here.... TOP pic... Go ask Kid Rock !
Oh... Yea and a pic from Hamtown.... ( Look CLOSE...friends of mine ! ) too bad it's getting over run with other nationalities now a days... Used to be Hard Core Poles... they liked to drink & fight down there... was like it's own little country right down in the middle of the ghetto !

Hamtown2.JPG
Hamtown1.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts