FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I trying to get a comfortable sling setup for the ability to have this on my right side and pull up from the hip into the ready position incase needed while walking in the forest. Right now I am running a blue force 3" wire loop, along with tactical link single point bungee style sling. Issue I might be having or it shouldn't be is that its way to long. I am 5'7 but seems like the gun is almost on the floor. Is this normal. I have a pic for review. I see some guys having the gun being rested higher etc. I have adjusted the strap to its shortest setting. So I think im doing something wrong or I have the wrong equipment.,

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
A rifle on a single point sling is meant to hang center-line of the chest while you go hands free. Adjust the sling so the butt of the rifle rides 3" or so below the natural pocket of your shoulder.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
It's the combination of your bungee sling (which I never liked) and the BFG wire loop. Because the sling is designed to attached to the mount directly, the wire loop is adding additional length that's dropping your weapon lower than it's suppose to. Ideally the loop itself doesn't start too far away from the mounting point. This is my setup in a single point config (though I don't run it this way very often). If I wear the loop on the right side like you did in your picture, the butt of the rifle sits just under my armpit.

Personally when I run a single point sling setup I always wear it looped over my left shoulder like the pic below. So the rifle drop to the left side out of the way of my sidearm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a single point that was adjusted to shortest setting that wasn't short enough. Don't know if your sling allows for it, but I took the end out of the adjustment ring, cut it to fit, then burned the edges before putting it back together.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I like your style. :mrgreen:

The man is on the forefront of operators operational SOP. That tactical leg roll is for the new all terrain combat delivery vehicle:

Also captured in the photo is the army's new camo pattern.

Reactions: SapperMac and Kev

·
Registered
99 Posts
Get rid of the junky single-point sling since it's completely useless unless you're clearing rooms for a living. A two-point setup and knowing how to properly transition a rifle to the support side will trump a single-point every time.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Or get a convertible so you have both options available to you, just in case you DO have to clear some rooms ;)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Or you could just learn how to transition to your support side shoulder instead of using a crutch.....
Just because you prefer it doesn't mean it works for everyone. No need to get defensive. I'm not advocating for one or the other carry method, just that having more options is always better than being restricted to one (especially if you aren't compromising).

Reactions: American Infidel

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Hardest accessory out of everything I bought so far to figure out how to properly but together and what is the right way to wear a sling...I am so embarrassed to say that it took both me an my wife a couple of hours to figure out how to rig up my Blueforce Padded Cobra sling...we had to take parts off, put them back on in different places...cut buckles that were sewn on.....I was lost......second embarrassing point.....I never even knew you could even wear a sling this way? First time I have seen a photo like this....this makes perfect send to me and thanks for posting this. I took a screen shot of the photo so I would remember...thanks.

It's the combination of your bungee sling (which I never liked) and the BFG wire loop. Because the sling is designed to attached to the mount directly, the wire loop is adding additional length that's dropping your weapon lower than it's suppose to. Ideally the loop itself doesn't start too far away from the mounting point. This is my setup in a single point config (though I don't run it this way very often). If I wear the loop on the right side like you did in your picture, the butt of the rifle sits just under my armpit.

Personally when I run a single point sling setup I always wear it looped over my left shoulder like the pic below. So the rifle drop to the left side out of the way of my sidearm.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Get rid of the junky single-point sling since it's completely useless unless you're clearing rooms for a living. A two-point setup and knowing how to properly transition a rifle to the support side will trump a single-point every time.
Single points have their place. If the user is going to be in and out of a vehicle quite bit and not doing a lot of standing around, then a single point sling is fine.

I prefer to use a two point with a quick adjuster myself, but without knowing the OPs intent for his Mk 17, I wouldn't reject his choice of sling out of hand as "junk."

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just because you prefer it doesn't mean it works for everyone. No need to get defensive. I'm not advocating for one or the other carry method, just that having more options is always better than being restricted to one (especially if you aren't compromising).
IMO, learning how to properly transition a rifle is hardly a compromise, especially when the OP has said that he's doing a lot of walking in the woods.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hardest accessory out of everything I bought so far to figure out how to properly but together and what is the right way to wear a sling...I am so embarrassed to say that it took both me an my wife a couple of hours to figure out how to rig up my Blueforce Padded Cobra sling...we had to take parts off, put them back on in different places...cut buckles that were sewn on.....I was lost......second embarrassing point.....I never even knew you could even wear a sling this way? First time I have seen a photo like this....this makes perfect send to me and thanks for posting this. I took a screen shot of the photo so I would remember...thanks.
As alluded earlier, it's not the most comfortable way to sling a weapon system (two points setup is what you want if you are humping miles on foot). The biggest benefit is simply an easy and quick access and shouldering of your long gun.

Like I said, I personally don't prefer this setup as it dangles the weapon and tends to get in the way of any physical activities.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The man is on the forefront of operators operational SOP. That tactical leg roll is for the new all terrain combat delivery vehicle:

Also captured in the photo is the army's new camo pattern.

Awesome company posted (above).!
2013 Folding Bike Models | Montague Bikes
fparatrooperprolg2012.jpg

Montague technology folders... "paratrooper".
They offer a different design series w/ many models for users that want a certain grade components.
Basically LX, EX, DX, like a Honda.
I don't think they have the nifty lockout and auto release like the company Specialized yet.
Anyways, it's a nice bike if you want a folder.

Dream on MTX bikers...dream on!
Sweaty hands (warning).
Watch in full screen HD.

...and back to the sling hieghts.
Any Magpul 2014 MS4 sling fanboys?
Decent or no go?

·
Registered
505 Posts
That last video was Fng UNBELIEVABLE! I wouldn't even want to walk where he was riding that Mountain Bike! I hope he made allot of money for that .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts