FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had my 17S for nearly 10 years and only around 3k round count and at this point I'm interested in learning about what parts are considered consumable on this rifle as I intend on increasing the round count quite a bit as ammo prices are falling.
1. Is there really enough of a difference between the Mototech return spring vs OEM to justify the 6X cost of the spring alone?
2. Are firing pins known to fail in these guns?
3. Should I consider getting spare Ejector, Bolt Catch, or any other springs that are known to fail?
4. Does anybody have a list of other pins or retainers that are known to fail?

I appreciate any input, I have been scouring the forums for info for the last couple of days but I can only find bits and pieces of information.
I have an associates degree in gunsmithing from CST and I have handled plenty of guns but my SCAR 17S has too many small parts for me to get an idea of what will fail.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey Richie, sounds good. And welcome to the Forum. Good to have you here!

1. I don't know why Mototech's springs are so expensive. I'd just get the OE from Midwest or Shooting Sites at FN SCAR 17 Return / Recoil Spring – ShootingSight Get one of his SCAR tools too.
2. No, but I have 2 spares. You know the saying, "1 is none. 2 is one."
3. Yes.
4. There are some good threads in here Search results for query: spare parts that you can build a list from.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
so far, i haven't heard of a "common" failure item or part. even battlefield las vegas seems to have high regard for the platform, albeit the 16S version. i think you're probably going to wear out the barrel before anything else "breaks", but i would still get some basic parts if you can afford a little insurance.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I was looking at getting that Mototech regulator but is it really worth the price? Is it a noticeable difference in performance?
When shooting suppressed it's a worthwhile investment. If you're not shooting suppressed then the gun is fine from the factory.....although I'd still fiddle with a few things just because that's what I do with all my guns, I make them my own.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was looking at getting that Mototech regulator but is it really worth the price? Is it a noticeable difference in performance?
IMHO it is. Tuning the gas down on my 17 reduced the felt recoil noticeably. More enjoyable to shoot now. I think it also reduces the wear and tear on the rifle making it easier on optics and the recoil plate.

Reactions: jaflowers

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oh, and get the Scarburator if you aren't going to change the jet. The 3 select regulator requires some gas jet tuning to get it right, in my experience.

Reactions: jaflowers
1 - 14 of 14 Posts