FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for this in other threads but I couldn’t find anything, so please forgive this if it’s a redundant post. I am a relatively new owner of a SCAR 17 (about 200 rounds through it at this point) and it’s an amazing gun. I’ve never had any issues with it whatsoever until my suppressor got out of NFA jail. I am running a YHM Resonator R2 with QD muzzle brake. The ammo I’m using is Lake City M80 surplus. With the new muzzle brake I’ve had zero issues and the gun runs great, but as soon as I mount the suppressor and switch the gas block to the suppressed setting, it runs fine (although gassy and dirty) until the second to last round. When the second to last round is fired, the last round seems to pop up over the chamber and gets jammed between the bolt and the front of the receiver above the chamber. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Happens with all three of my OEM mags. This is my first suppressor so I’m asking this out of ignorance. My first suspicion is that it may be over gassed, so I was thinking about changing out the gas jet for a smaller one, but I’d like to have some experienced input before I start chasing a problem that doesn’t exist. Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You need to change out the gas jet to a 1.3mm...make sure you watch PMM's video on how....

SCAR is overgassed from factory...you add a not-so-low-pressure suppressor like a YHM...and it gets overgassed more...another thing you want to add is a mototech rubber buffer pad...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would also check your ejection...it will tell you how bad you are over-gassed...you pretty much want your brass to land 3:00 to 4:30 o'clock position with your suppressor on...

I can't say enough good things about the mototech rubber buffer pad. They also have adjustable gas plugs and three position gas plugs...but I have yet pluck down the $$$ as I can easily just tune with gas jets.

Just remember...you void the warranty once suppressed outside of the .mil unit that is approved...which is unobtanium for us.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you guys know what the difference is between the Mototech rubberized nylon buffer pad and UHMW buffer day pad? Like what’s the benefit of one over the other?

·
Registered
115 Posts
My understanding is that the stock buttstock assembly already acts as a buffer due to the polymer construction where it attaches to the receiver. IMO, the only reason you'd want to consider an aftermarket buffer is if you are running some type of aftermarket buttstock or buttstock adapter that is made of aluminum. You should be fine without a special buffer if you tune the gas system properly w/ the appropriate gas control screw i.e. "gas jet."

Also, I recommend the FN factory gas control screws as they are made of hardened steel and should stay within spec longer than aftermarket screws. The FN GCS are readily available from online vendors.

Keep us posted on your results, OP!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Do you guys know what the difference is between the Mototech rubberized nylon buffer pad and UHMW buffer day pad? Like what’s the benefit of one over the other?
It acts as another sacrificial buffer to the OEM design...I've been running one in every SCAR owned with no ill issues...I only use OEM stocks assemblies but if you are running an aftermarket aluminum adapter it is a MUST to have the rubberized pad because then you took away the OEM backup buffer (the polymer stock attachment).

·
Banned
676 Posts
The rubber one is "softer" and Mototech is discontinuing the UHMW buffer when stocks are exhausted. That should make your choice WAY easy or you can make your own by taking a tire intertub and cutting and Gorilla gluing your own to your stock recoil buffer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.