FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scar 20S Limited Edition - My custom project - Investment or just another gun

I had the opportunity to grab one of the packages (3rd owner - never fired).
Part of rationalization for buying such an expensive gun is that the prices I see for any that are on sale are $2k or more than the list price.
I have seen it listed for as much as $11k, although I doubt it will sell for that much. $7-8k is common.
My find was a package deal (with scope and cal legal mods already done), but I paid list price for the package alone.

While not paying the premium is a bonus (I got a good deal), I am now wondering if I should put it in the safe as an investment instead.
Since it has been modified (flash hider replaced with mk20 type surefire brake/adapter).
Do you think these mods already hurt the sale value of the package?

Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a second one to shoot.

Am I crazy for thinking about keeping it unfired? How much value do you think it would lose (if any) if I at least take it out and see what it can do?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well a standard rifle is $3,800 so you have to decide if the rest of the limited runs kit is worth, or will hold, a $3,500+ premium to you or collectors in the future.

My feeling is no, it will not but no one can see the future.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think it is a waste of money.
if you mean the package price ($5500), i have to agree, but the package itself is not that big of a gyp over the list price of the 20S alone.
if you need the hardcase, soft case and bipod, they would cost about 900 bucks (at online prices) before you paid for the custom foam.

that rifle wrap alone is $365. :evil:

this guy is impressed, but price seems crazy

it's the coin that makes the package worth the money! :mrgreen:

actually, i was able to rationalize the purchase because i got an awesome deal on the stuff that didn't come with the original package...
including a Leupold 4HD 3.6-18x44 H59 scope....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Can you remove the modification?

I believe like most collectibles that it'll only maintain that special premium if it's perfectly original.

If the answer to the question is no, you should LET ER RIP and enjoy it!

Reactions: theLBC

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you remove the modification?

I believe like most collectibles that it'll only maintain that special premium if it's perfectly original.

If the answer to the question is no, you should LET ER RIP and enjoy it!
i still have the original flash hider, so i suppose it can be returned to original configuration.
i have not pinned the stock yet, as i am figuring out the best way to do that without visibly changing the stock too much if possible.
stupid state considers the adjustable length of pull and as an extendable stock.

·
Vendor
1,742 Posts
I don't think it is an investment. I think it has a high price now because the first ones out were rare, but as production gets rolling and these things start shipping, the rarity will go away and the price will decrease. And when they come out with the Mk 21, or whatever the next iteration of the design is, the Mk 20 will lose its sex appeal.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it is an investment. I think it has a high price now because the first ones out were rare, but as production gets rolling and these things start shipping, the rarity will go away and the price will decrease. And when they come out with the Mk 21, or whatever the next iteration of the design is, the Mk 20 will lose it's sex appeal.
thanks, mang. i was just thinking the limited edition package (1 of 200) might hold some value, but i am not a gun collector so i have no clue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i still have the original flash hider, so i suppose it can be returned to original configuration.
i have not pinned the stock yet, as i am figuring out the best way to do that without visibly changing the stock too much if possible.
stupid state considers the adjustable length of pull and as an extendable stock.
So you are going to modify it anyway! Sounds like you should enjoy your bada$$ new rifle then and show it off everywhere you can, to get the value out of the price tag.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you are going to modify it anyway! Sounds like you should enjoy your bada$$ new rifle then and show it off everywhere you can, to get the value out of the price tag.
i am going to replace the spiral spring that allows the LoP adjustment button to move with some copper spacers.
this will require the stock to be partially disassembled to adjust the length, and i am hoping this will make it legal.

as far as showing it off, i am liable to run into as many haters as fans, but i'll have to deal with that.
heck, there seems to be haters even on this forum.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've always seen them as Safe Queen (no shoot) collector rifles and still do. I think they will appreciate in value, but very slowly. I think most current/future buyers have money and already have a standard 20S.

Reactions: theLBC

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think they will at least hold their value and appreciate minimally, but there’s always only a small market willing to pay top dollar. I’d compare it to the HK MR762 LRP packages... occasionally a few pop up and sell over what the base price was, but I don’t see either ever selling for a crazy number. And if you’re buying it as a shooter might as well get the base rifle at that point...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just for kicks, i priced out all the items in the limited edition package.

FN branded SKB iSeries hard case with custom foam insert

SKB 3i-5616-9 Custom Foam Case (I.D. 56" x 16.12" x 8.87")
Case with Foam: $624.12

FirstSpear R37 Rifle Wrap soft case / shooting mat

FirstSpear R37 Rifle Wrap-Coyote
$365.92

Harris Bipod, SBRM

Harris Bipod BRM-S and LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo

*********************************************************************************
Blue Force Gear VCAS sling with ULoop connectors

Blue Force Gear Vickers 2-Pt Cmbt SLNG
$45.70

BLF Black Force Unloop 1.25" Tan Gun Stock Accessories
$14.82 (2)

**********************************************************************************
FN Scar 20S field kit (combined cleaning and tool kit)

FNH SCAR Cleaning Kit
Code: 3148997030
$247.00

Fix-It-Sticks 62 Inch Lbs Torque Limiter (W/ T25 Bit) - For FN SCAR Rifles
$36.00

TangoDown FN SCAR Piston Removal Tool
$23.95

**********************************************************************************
Total Cost of Included Items
$1592.28

+coin+patch+branding

plus the gun and an extra mag.

Reactions: gr8ful

·
Registered
312 Posts
The way I see it it is a break even deal and has some extra yet limited collector's value. The complete kit sure is handy and probably better than I would do on my own. However, the boxed rifle is way weight heavy for me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The way I see it it is a break even deal and has some extra yet limited collector's value. The complete kit sure is handy and probably better than I would do on my own. However, the boxed rifle is way weight heavy for me.
hahaha, I know what you mean. the empty case weighs a ton!
I'll probably use another case for range trips, if i decide to shoot it.
Of course, after disassembling and cleaning the rifle upon receipt (per the manual), I can tell it has indeed been fired at the factory.
The FN America guy says each Scar 20S must shoot 5 groups 1 MOA or better before they will ship it.
If nothing else, I need to see what this guy will do.

For now, I started customizing the case even more (but nothing that cannot be reversed)
This will be my ultimate FN Scar 20S Limited Edition Multi-Scenario Combat weapons package :mrgreen:

Primary optic is a Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 Horus H59 Reticle
I love the H59 reticle for the ability to engage multiple targets at different ranges quickly, without taking time to touch the turrets.
Range the target, calculate hold, let it fly!

The scope is mounted with a Bobro Engineering SCAR Dual Lever Mount
I couldn't see having a rifle this capable paired with anything but top quality optics.
Since the Leupold is mounted with a rock solid ($300) mount that returns to zero every time, I can feel good about swapping it out for optional optics.

*****************************************************************************************
MOD 1
While the length and weight of the Scar 20S isn't ideal for close combat, it is an auto loader, so lots of firepower on tap in short order when needed.
The medium-long range scope can be used inside 100 yards, but a reflex sight is best in situations where speed is critical.

We can't have 20rd mags in California (unless we already had them before 2000) so that space is sort of wasted.
Instead, I am using that space for a Holosun HE510C-GR Elite (I already had) w/QD mount. The foam from the original box just needed 1/4" trimmed to fit perfectly.
I love the sight. Bulletproof, awesome battery life and it will run off the solar cells alone if needed. Big fan of the sharp green reticle as well.

This left a small area with just enough space to store a small GorillaPod tripod. I'll need this for the next mod.

The area for the log book and manual is a waste imho. The foam inside that big box is actually 3 pieces that are glued to the bottom layer of foam
these can be removed carefully, and kept with the log and manual in a safe place if you need to restore it to original.

That leaves as big area for whatever!

Mod 2
A semi-automatic rifle platform that can reach out beyond 800-1000 yards is awesome, but you need to know how far away the targets are to hit them
I had another rangefinder picked out, but found this at a really great price while searching for the best prices. Same place is selling it for 300 bucks more already.
To range targets and automatically calculate holdover (speed again) I chose the Sig Sauer Digital Ballistic Laser Rangefinder Kilo2400ABS.
And guess what? It has to be fate that the case fits that big empty space perfectly. What are the odds? :th_wow:

So this is what I have so far. I might find another use for the sling storage area. I have a padded sling more appropriate for carrying this beast, and I should be able to pack it with the rifle wrap. I'll probably also create some mounting solution for a handgun and some extra magazines in the top of the case, in the top right corner.

So here is my California legal version.
MIAD® GEN 1.1 Grip Kit — TYPE 1
Exile Machine Backfin Finned Backstrap
SureFire — MB762SSAL/RE Muzzle Brake Adapter
I did my own mod to block adjustable length of pull.

Going overboard?
I am not a collector.
In fact, I only had the same 3 guns for over 25 years (since my daughter was born)

Sig Sauer P226 9mm (West German) (bought new in 1992)
Mossberg 500 (bought new in 1987)
Winchester Model 88 .308 Win. mag fed, lever action (my dad's hunting rifle, bought in 1962).
After my daughter graduated from college, I got a new P226 and P229.

I never owned a semi-automatic centerfire rifle for fun or hunting, although I have shot many.
The way things are going, they will try to make them illegal to buy in my state. FUD? :th_confused0024:

I asked my wife said I could buy one. :-D

/at least my daughter's college is already paid for. ::
//but she's back at college getting her masters now. :th_angel-smiley-006

Reactions: gr8ful

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I picked mine up at the pawn shop the young fellow hauled it out and put it in my car. It really is that heavy. My scope is heavier than yours but I like your reticle. It's sad you have to block that grip. My buddy in CA tells me he can never assemble his 17S because they are illegal. I guess he doesn't want to register his and I can't blame him! The 10 rounds mags are preferable for what the 20S was designed--changing 20 round mags in prone position requires breaking position. Very creative approach. Great photos!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I picked mine up at the pawn shop the young fellow hauled it out and put it in my car. It really is that heavy. My scope is heavier than yours but I like your reticle. It's sad you have to block that grip. My buddy in CA tells me he can never assemble his 17S because they are illegal. I guess he doesn't want to register his and I can't blame him! The 10 rounds mags are preferable for what the 20S was designed--changing 20 round mags in prone position requires breaking position. Very creative approach. Great photos!
it isn't that hard to make the 17S california legal, so it is a shame. i know a lot of calgunners that love taking them to the range.

the fin grip is a bummer if you're carrying it around in a combat situation and not being able to wrap your thumb around it.
on the more positive side, nobody i know wraps their thumb around the grip for long range shooting from a prone or bench, so there is no drawback for distance shooting.
obviously at this point (hopefully) i won't be running this platform in 3-gun. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Incredible guns always wanted to invest in some of them. I think it can be a very prosperous business don't you think so?! Of course, you have to find a good market where to sell them but it can be great. To tell you the truth I was looking for some ideas about how to make money from the investment and found this blog https://themoneymix.com. There I read many useful things and found out that making investments is not as simple as I thought lol. So I guess that it can be very cool to invest money in this sphere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well if you want to save it as some sort of "investment" stop futzing around and mounting crap all over it.

Just a regular rifle to me though, might as well shoot it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts