5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools Needed :

T-25 Torx Bit
Ratchet or Driver
Torque Wrench adjustable or fixed to 62 inch pounds

Make sure weapon is unloaded

To Remove Barrel Assembly
1A: Disassemble Rifle, removing upper from rifle, removing bolt carrier assembly and charging handle.
2A: Loosen the 6 T-25 bolts holding the barrel assembly to the upper (bolts are captive and are not removed)
3A: Slide barrel assembly forward till the rear barrel extension clears the upper and lifts out through the notches in the upper.
4A: Barrel removed

To Reinstall Barrel Assembly
Just the reversal of the removal
1B: Place barrel in upper and slide barrel rearward to seat the barrel in the upper.
2B: Thread the 6 T-25 bolts into the barrel supports but do not tighten them down (may require wiggling the barrel a little to get the bolts to start)
3B: Set torque wrench to 62 inch pounds and tighten bolts, starting with one of the rear bolts and working forward in a criss cross pattern.
4B: With the barrel torqued now reassemble the rifle.
* Torque Sequence at the bottom *

#1A

#2A

#3A

#4A

Torque Sequence for barrel installation

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice how to. :?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

Thought it might be time for me to start contributing something worthwhile. :D

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Yes, this should be a sticky.

Sarge I see eleven, oh I hit +1. :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank-you Talhoffer for reposting this information: it is nice to know the specifics for properly maintaining this fine carbine.:th_thanks:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I was doing this yesterday and the damn T-25 bit broke off. The torque wrench that came with my LMT never did break even set at 10lbs. I heard a grinding noise at times so I quit. Guess I nee to buy the one off of Brownells for $104 to get the torque right.

Question: should I loosely tighten all the bolts before torque'ing them?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is the barrel installation procedure for the SCAR 16 (seen above) the same as the SCAR 17?
This would include the torque sequence and torque specifications.
I certainly hope so as this is a great comprehensive write-up.

Thank you
Pat

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the barrel installation procedure for the SCAR 16 (seen above) the same as the SCAR 17?
This would include the torque sequence and torque specifications.
I certainly hope so as this is a great comprehensive write-up.

Thank you
Pat

Yes, same procedure for the SCAR17 :?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Thanks Tal for this invaluable information. :?

It should be noted for those who remove their barrels for the first time. There will be a clicking sound when loosening the T-25 bolts, you may think as I did you've just stripped them out or broken your ratchet and want to beat yourself in the head with a blunt object. Do not panic, they all make the same noise, clearly there's more than meets the eye when it comes to these six T-25 bolts. After realizing I had not rendered my new 16s useless, I regained composure then continued loosening. I removed my barrel, felt right proud of myself for a moment then reinstalled the barrel, tightened the bolts following the provided torque sequence. Yes, I breathed a sigh of relief when it was all said and done! :th_phew:

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you tighten down the screws in the order provided. Do you do #1 until it is 62 lbs tight and then move on to #2? Or do you tighten each one in the order you provided a little tighter each sequence until each one is at 62lbs?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hand tighten in order and then tourqe down in the same order...

When you tighten down the screws in the order provided. Do you do #1 until it is 62 lbs tight and then move on to #2? Or do you tighten each one in the order you provided a little tighter each sequence until each one is at 62lbs?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks for the info Tal, I was just thinking about torquing my scar barrels, is the torque the same on both 16 & 17?

·
Registered
84 Posts
FYI

I was taught to never use a torque wrench to remove bolts and only to use it to tighten the bolts to the correct torque setting. I made that mistake once while wrenching on my car. I tried to remove a bolt that was stuck and broke my wrench.......lesson learned

1 - 20 of 51 Posts