FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that every time I take my bolt out it feels very gritty, like sandpaper. I assume that it must be dirt getting blown on the bolt through those holes on the side of the gun. Does anyone else notice this?

Why was the gun designed with all those holes, does it really need that venting?

Does the gun require extra cleaning because of this, or is it not a big deal?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Does your bolt feel gritty or is it the bolt carrier?

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
The feeling is normal.

The holes in the weapon are present for various reasons:
magazine insertion
bullets to exit the weapon
sling attachment points
So I can look inside the guts (My favorite)

Clean it as often as you like. you're not gonna hurt it.

-SS

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it would be called the bolt carrier? Its the big metal piece. You can see a lot of it exposed though the holes in the side of the gun.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes sir. The gritty feeling is normal. There is very little surface area that comes in contact with the receiver during normal operation and I assure you, those areas are smooth. Keep it clean and well lubed and you'll have zero problems. Also remember, the 17 is designed to run wet, muddy, dusty and dirty. (Not recommended) if you do have issues, please report back to the forum. There are very few (if any) threads on performance issues with the SCAR 17. Some guys on here have run several thousand rounds WITHOUT CLEANING to see when the rifle will fail and still haven't had issues.

Reactions: BillR
1 - 6 of 6 Posts