FN Herstal Firearms banner

SCAR Buttstock

18K views 52 replies 32 participants last post by  josey88 
#1 ·
I'll be getting my Scar 17 soon and I'm not too sure if I like he factory "ugg boot" stock it comes with stock. I've seen VLTOE makes a receiver extension, does anyone run them? If so could you post some pics please? I've always been an AR guy but I've alwasys loved a Scars, so I finally decided to pull the trigger on one. So any help would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 ·
Welcome, that is the reason or the main one I never got one! Sad when u buy a gun such exp then spend another $350. for a trigger unit and another couple hundred for a decent stock!
Describing the stock as "Ugly" is being extremely kind!

#9 ·
Stryker Enterprises will have a solution for mounting an ACR stock to the SCAR. Check the forum for pics of the prototype.

#14 ·
I like the scar stock. So what if it looks like an ugg boot. Scars look ugly with vltor stocks and ar type stocks. The only ar stock ive liked on a scar is a magpul UBR. I was very surprised to see fm release that pic of the scar CSR with a magpul stock. Looks odd. the stock is unique to the rifle and it absolutely works, more solid than any magpul ive owned

#19 · (Edited)
I prefer my VLTOR stock (foreground) to the FN one because the butt pad is less concave where it meets my shoulder and has a nice storage compartment... and for the weight weenies it is a couple of grams liter. (click on the pic to zoom in)

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Machine gun

That's my custom PTR-91F behind it. The PTR is everything the Scar 17 isn't... 18" bull barrel that can eat endless streams of the dirtiest cheapest rustiest .308 steel ammo and still maintain incredible accuracy... less than 1/2 the cost of the Scar 17... but no where near as lite as the Scar 17 so it will build your muscles faster if you have to hump it around. The PTR is an old skool rifle for a REAL MAN!
(Those days are long behind me, which is why I bought and love my Scar 17 :p )

#24 ·
In this same section of the forum, it shows on my computer as being on page 4, thread titled "Ditch the Boot, Spring is Here". It is a direct fit and allows for any buffer tube to be screwed on. My post is on Page 18 of 18 in that thread. I bought off ebay (look further back and the eBay info is there, he just is not on the forum often he said). I installed a regular buffer tube and A2 stock, which just fits me really well and I do not care for collapsable stocks (just a personal preference). However, you could use a tube with the castle nut for an M4 or another type tube. Fit and finish is excellent as is shipping, very quick and answers questions quickly as well. Not sure if I have pictures on this computer but will post if I can. Adds little to no LOP from the extended "boot", and if does feel a tad long, an A1 stock would remedy that.

#26 · (Edited)
Sorry for the extra post, but installation is as simple as open the rifle, bump the factory stock out, slide the adapter in, close rifle. Then screw in tube and attach the stock, no wobble or loose play at all. Search "SCAR stock adapter", member name on eBay is iron6. Shows a picture of the machined part before anodizing. I do not recall what his forum name is.

#28 ·
Hey H1driver, I also have the same adapter from the Ditch the Boot thread. I just haven't set it up yet. That's a pretty unique idea with what to do with it...I'm thinking a skeleton stock, but you've got a one of a kind rifle there. Thanks for posting it...it's got me considering going that route. I'll probably be staring at that pic you posted for a while lol.

#32 ·
Vltors stock looks worse. Someone said it looks like an Ugg platform shoe.

Here's Stryker's prototype adapter for ACR stock people are referring to:

#33 · (Edited)
It's all a matter of personal preference. I swap my stocks around depending on the mood I'm in I guess, or where I'm going. I like the original Scar stock too. But I like the strength of the Vltor receiver extension, and the adapter from Power Technic from the ditch the boot thread, although I haven't set it up for use yet. I like to have different options and looks...it's part of the Scar's versatility. I'm also aware that many people don't carry their rifles any further than the shooting bench from their vehicle at the range. I prefer to see the other side of the mountain myself. The original stock is pretty sturdy, but these aftermarket ones are definitely a step up in strength, and I prefer it when hiking. And please don't go into "Well if it's tough enough for Special Forces".... I don't care...I'll go with the more durable option in the field. It's my personal preference. And H1driver, it would be great to see more pics. It's a one of a kind set up you have there !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.