FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the story with the color?
The FN site shows the SCAR with a uniform sand color on all parts.
The SCARs that were released recently have a color mismatch between upper and lower. Is this mismatched color what we are waiting for?

·
Registered
362 Posts
No. The color is not correct. What I heard is that whoever did the anodizing messed it up, but because the demand is so great they went ahead and shipped them out anyway as a "special edition". The right color should be coming out next.

And the serial number being on both sides? The first time they engraved it, it was not deep enough for the ATF, so they had to engrave it again on the other side.

I guess you can make anything "special edition" and people will pay more for it. Personally I hope I get the ones with the right color scheme.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you, it's just a rumor. This will be the actual color of all future production scars. If you're waiting on a different color, it may be a while :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mgpatty said:
Sorry to disappoint you, it's just a rumor. This will be the actual color of all future production scars. If you're waiting on a different color, it may be a while :)
So, what you are saying is that all future SCARs will be made with mismatched color on upper and lower receivers.
The military SCARs have the same color on upper and lower, so, the technology is available to them. I have to assume that they purposely make the civilian SCARs look like crap.
I wonder why.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You say its just a rumor but where did you get that from? Are you assuming its a rumor? Or do you know for sure? When you disregard my post I hope there's more to it than just what you think or feel.

It seems to me that the "special edition" rifle pics I have been seeing are not all the same color. Some look brownish and some gold and others still look bronze. It doesn't appear that even the "special edition" color is consistent. For those that have seen more than one rifle in person, is this true or does it just look that way in pictures?

And yes, they should be able to make the same color as the military without any problem, but remember that the military rifles are made here in the US and the civilian ones are coming from Belgium. Different anodizing company perhaps?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I heard it from a unnamed source within FN who wishes to remain anonymous..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serious though, it is just a rumor. Short answer, there are folks who have worked with FN on the military project that have already dispeled this rumor. As they pointed out, two different contractors do the finish on the .mil and the civvy version of the SCAR. The .mil version has a different requirement to meet vs. the civvy version.

Long version....
On first thought, it would seem to make sense that something must have went wrong. After all, it doesn’t look like the ‘display models’ and specially finished .mil SCARs that have been photographed. However, when one further examines the idea it begins to fall apart. Truth is, the rumor that FN somehow messed up the anodizing is just that, a rumor. I know where the rumor originated from and put very little faith in it. Anytime someone starts a conversation with "I heard........but I can't tell you where I heard it from..." it's a little more than suspect. There are some things I can say with 100% certainty.
First, FN has been planning the release of the SCAR to the civilian sector for years. FN has certainly had enough time to refine the anodizing process. Furthermore, if you look at some of the pre-production SCARs the finish is very similar to the finish found on the production SCARs.
Second, messed up or not FN would not release the SCAR until it was right. Why would they risk the release of one of most highly anticipated weapon platforms in recent memory if it were substandard. No major manufacturer is going to release a flawed, high profile platform just because they don’t want to take the time or effort to correct it. This isn’t a Chinese knock-off scope. It just doesn't make sense.
Third, the notion that all 1000 rifle receivers were simultaneously anodized at the same time is incorrect. True, there could be slight differences between individual receivers in the same batch. However, it would have been obtrusively oblivious that something was wrong when the first few receivers (or batches) were finished. There are certain standards that must be met in any manufacturing process. Products are randomly checked during manufacturing to ensure that the process is progressing correctly. When any 'glitch' is detected it is corrected.
And finally, the argument that other SCARs will somehow look different is misguided in that there aren't 'other' SCARs to compare them to. Like it or not, this is going to be the color of all civvy production SCARs.

BTW, in the FNH I asked the question if FN was going to change the color scheme/anodizing process. We should have a 'official' answer from FN then. Personally, I would put more faith in that than a 'internet rumor' from unnamed sources who wish to remain anonymous.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I heard it from a unnamed source within FN who wishes to remain anonymous.....

Funny, I heard that it was a mistake from the same place.

Oh well...I guess my final thought on the matter is that if they did it on purpose, they have very bad taste. Gold/bronze color on a rifle that is so hyped up as the special forces rifle is just plain wrong. Putting it out on hundreds if not thousands of rifles is just plain betraying those of us that have been waiting to get a rifle as close to the military version as possible.

Gold colored...jeez...next I guess they're going to figure out how to attach some chromed bling to it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It seems as though the only negative comments anyone can come up about the SCAR is it's 'looks' or 'price'. The thing about the SCAR is that it was designed from the ground up as a mission specific weapons platform. It's design came directly from input supplied by those who wanted more than a pretty “safe queen”. I find it intriguing that those who are the most critical of the SCAR are the same folks who have zero 'hands on' experience with it. My suggestion would be to actually, physically handle one and fire it. Then come back and comment on it.

Personally, I am not into buying 'safe queens' so the color of the rifle is a low priority for me. Furthermore, it is something easily remedied. If you are able to buy a SCAR and are disappointed with the finish once you actually see it in person my suggestion would be to buy a can of Krylon. Krylon seems to be a popular item among the large number of folks who are unhappy with the color of their Black Rifles (M4....).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nraman said:
mgpatty said:
So, what you are saying is that all future SCARs will be made with mismatched color on upper and lower receivers.
The military SCARs have the same color on upper and lower, so, the technology is available to them. I have to assume that they purposely make the civilian SCARs look like crap.
I wonder why.
Meh...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Personally, I am buying the rifle to shoot it and not to be a safe queen. Does that mean I want an ugly gold color on the rifle? Of course not. There are some things you have to compromise on but not on this. I have no problem paying $2,700 for the SCAR seeing how bad ass its going to be (already have it saved up, just trying to find one), but when I pay that much, getting the color I was told it was going to be would sure be nice.

Would you still buy the SCAR if it came in neon pink? Or orange? Life is too short to have an ugly rifle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
spartanranger said:
Personally, I am buying the rifle to shoot it and not to be a safe queen. Does that mean I want an ugly gold color on the rifle? Of course not. There are some things you have to compromise on but not on this. I have no problem paying $2,700 for the SCAR seeing how bad ass its going to be (already have it saved up, just trying to find one), but when I pay that much, getting the color I was told it was going to be would sure be nice.

Would you still buy the SCAR if it came in neon pink? Or orange? Life is too short to have an ugly rifle.
I would have still bought one if it came in Fuchsia. :-D In reality, the anodizing on my SCAR and the other rifles I've handled isn't gold or bronze in color. I think part of the problem is the effects that lighting/camera quality/camera flash have on anodized aluminum. I've seen ARs that look beautiful to the eye but look like crap when photographed. However, the finish of the firearm is the one of the most easily correctable 'problems' (if you could refer to the color as one) that a firearm could have. There are many durable aftermarket finishes on the market that could be used to satisfy anybody. Most folks finish their ARs in every shade of color imaginable before they even fire a case of ammo thru it. Why is this acceptable but the thought of Duracoating the Scar objectionable?. I guess the easiest way to look at this is that I paid $3000 for the functionality and performance of the rifle itself, not because I expected it look a certain way. Why? Because ‘looks’ doesn’t equate into performance in the real world.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So the photos really don't do it justice? What color does it look like in person...unfortuantely I have not been lucky enough to get to see one in person...it makes me sad...

·
Registered
543 Posts
SCAR COLOR

Just an FYI on the anodizing color topic. Below is a pic of a "real deal" SCAR from the February 2007 SHOT Show. In particular, this is one that AAC was working with to develop and test its products. The anodizing color appears to be an exact match to that of our current 16s models.

I doubt that the 2007 real deal SCARs had an anodizing color screw up, and that the screw up was continued on the SCAR product right on up through 2009. It appears to be the color that FN wanted. I do agree that some pics, primarily publicity pics, appear to more of an anodized tan color.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mgpatty said:
Personally, I am not into buying 'safe queens' so the color of the rifle is a low priority for me. Furthermore, it is something easily remedied. If you are able to buy a SCAR and are disappointed with the finish once you actually see it in person my suggestion would be to buy a can of Krylon. Krylon seems to be a popular item among the large number of folks who are unhappy with the color of their Black Rifles (M4....).
I am a civilian who loves firearms and enjoys a good quality rifle. My life is not dependent on it in a foxhole and I will not drag it through mud. I will put thousands of rounds through it and I don't want to look at it and feel that after paying big bucks I got a second rate rifle.
Funny thing is that the people that get to drag the SCAR through the mud are getting the color matched rifles and we are getting mismatched seconds.
I have bought many FN firearms through the years and I expect quality.
I hope that FN, a world renowned firearms company, will decide to live up to their long history of high quality and not dump these mismatched monstrosities in the civilian market.
I don't see why I should consider the Krylon treatment, I don't even understand what their problem is. They are making the Military weapons correctly, all they have to do is fire the idiot on the civilian side that cannot follow instructions and get somebody who can.
YMMV

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nraman said:
They are making the Military weapons correctly, all they have to do is fire the idiot on the civilian side that cannot follow instructions and get somebody who can.
YMMV
How many .mil SCARs have you actually seen? Have you even seen the pics of the real .mil SCARs that have been on display @ Shot for the last 3 or 4 years? I can assure you that they look almost identical to what you feel is "mismatched" "screwed up" civvy SCARs. But don't take my word for it, look at the many dozens of pics of .mil SCARs out there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've played with every SCAR that has been at the SHOT show for the last three years. They have all looked the same in appearence. Even this year when holding the civie vs. the .mil. You guys who think we're getting different colored rifles are so wrong, I actually laugh out loud reading your posts. Sometimes they appear flat in color, especially in FN's catalog. Sometimes they appear goldish. It all depends on the lighting the pics were taken in. But, I can emphatically say there is absolutely no difference in colors between mil & civie guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mgpatty said:
FNBlack, thanks for the pic and info! :) Here's one more pic .....

There is a small variation between upper and lower in the picture which is understandable considering the different material, one being aluminum and the other plastic and I have no problem with that, I would buy it in a NY minute.
Some pictures posted here look terrible, bronze or golden instead of tan. If it is the lighting or reflections, I can understand. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on one.
I have only seen pictures never an actual rifle and the FN pictures show a perfect match.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts