FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I think the barrel length for the barrel the get in most SOC teams is about 13-14 not really positive and I know the Muzzle device is An AAC Im just not sure what.. Here is where my question is. The Muzzle device looks about long. About 3 inchs or so long to be honest. If I got a 13 inch SCAR heavy Barrel and put that muzzle break on the gun and got it pinned in could i get around NFA ing the gun? I really like the set up I just don't want the hassle

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
As long as you bring your barrel length back to 16" with the hider pinned. I believe you're thinking of the FN ECP hiders though. They aren't the easiest to get your hands on. Get the exact length that the flash hider adds to the barrel from the net. Then remove your PWS brake. Then use the length that you got from the net and measure backwards from the very end of the barrel itself and that's your sweet spot. Yes it is legal as long as its pinned and welded and equals 16"

Edited: I think I misread that. You want to buy a 13" barrel and want to know of you can make it legal by pinning a 3" flash hider on it? The FH is going to seat down on to the threads so you really can't go off of how long it looks. You need to find out exactly how much length that flash hider will add to the barrel. Post a pic of the flash hider in question.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I will have to take some measurement off of mine but I think you're still short of the 16" requirement. Like crapper mentioned, most of the length of MITER FH is covering the barrel and doesn't extend beyond it by much. If anything the stock PWS brake extends the barrel longer than the MITER FH.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Why not just SBR the 17s while you still can if you really want a 13" barrel?... I don't attempt to make my rifles look like copies of what others are doing, but from what I understand SOCOM guys that actually use Heavies tend to prefer a 16" barrel anyway.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I will have to take some measurement off of mine but I think you're still short of the 16" requirement. Like crapper mentioned, most of the length of MITER FH is covering the barrel and doesn't extend beyond it by much. If anything the stock PWS brake extends the barrel longer than the MITER FH.
Yes, still short with factory 13" barrel by 1.25". You would essentially would be pinning the MITER 1.25" further up the barrel and I don't believe you could even screw it on, which would leave a gap inside the FH. I don't know if that's a problem or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a scar if I send it in to get in engraved won't I have to wait for my paperwork before I can get it back even if I keep my factory barrel on it

·
Registered
671 Posts
With a scar if I send it in to get in engraved won't I have to wait for my paperwork before I can get it back even if I keep my factory barrel on it
No you can have your factory 16" barrel on it. You'll just have a long, but worth it wait to either chop barrel or buy a 13" barrel..:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would just buy the 13" barrel. That way you can shoot your SCAR now and then convert it over when you get your paper work back. Does anyone know what the current waiting period is? I heard as long as 6 to 9 months a year ago. I bet its even longer now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts