FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got enough reviews and pictures to populate the website, that I am officially launching this product.

High Energy Hammer Springs (HEHS) for the SCAR 16 and 17 give about 60% greater force and about 40% greater energy to the firing pin. They speed up the hammer swing, so it drops from about 9ms to just under 8ms (about the same as an M14).

It is a drop-in part with zero modifications. I've got it up on my website. Cost is labeled as $12.50 with free delivery. To support this forum, I'm offering a discount - use coupon code "FNForum" (not sure if caps matter), and it is $10 delivered.

User feedback from a group of testers was posted in another thread, but it was 100% positive. Over 1,000 rounds fired in both 16 and 17 with zero failures of ignition, extraction, or cycling. Additional input is that the added force makes the trigger release and reset feel snappier and crisper.

You can see the picture below. My spring is on top. It uses solid wire for increased strength, and then adds extra coils to preserve flexibility, and an extra 1/8" in length for slightly more tension. Naturally, this adds more wire, which is why it was not the cheapest option going in - but I think it is a worthwhile upgrade.

If anyone buys my ShootingSight 2-stage adjustable trigger, this hammer spring will be included free, as an upgrade. Anyone who already bought my trigger, get in touch and I'll send you one for free.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is a great improvement on the stock trigger. Simple, inexpensive and effective.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Received my units and dry fired it and found it is advertised as stated. I can't quantify the actual % increase in force and energy but by feel and force needed to push back the hammer and the observation made to the release of the hammer, it is definitely a night and day comparison to the standard spring. I've also compared it with my shooting sight 2-stage trigger vs. stock trigger and I must say it is an improvement to both trigger set up most notably on the 2-stage trigger. In addition, no failures of any kind from >500 rounds use thus far between my 16S and 17S... Very pleased with the new hammer spring!

·
Vendor
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. The spring will also improve the Geisselle trigger.

I have not done any wear rate study on the firing pin, but then again, I've never heard of a firing pin wearing out. Wear is typically based on friction and sideways load. Since the firing pin is really only getting longitudinal load, I don't expect any issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts