FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
It borrows idea's from the G36 as well.

You could say the ACR is a SCAR knockoff (on looks).

The upper appears fairly similar, but beyond that I'd say no.

·
Registered
220 Posts
After watching this video I would definitely say it's more of a Scar knock off than the G36 except for the lower receiver.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SCAR upper is where their design effort went into, the lower is just an improved AR lower.

It borrows idea's from the G36 as well.

You could say the ACR is a SCAR knockoff (on looks).

The upper appears fairly similar, but beyond that I'd say no.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Hardly a "knock-off." FN would be sueing if they were, patent infridgement.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hardly a "knock-off." FN would be sueing if they were, patent infridgement.
Ditto. I have no doubt FN would sue if it was a straight knock-off or close enough to count. The 805 Bren shares some internal commonalities with the SCAR. Just like the SCAR shares some internal commonalities with other rifles. The same goes for some features. They also share a passing resemblance. But a lot of firearms share some external features/looks with one another as well.

There are only so many modern things/features/etc being done with small arms.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That isn't a passing resemblance. That's clearly meant to look like a SCAR. The stock is likely a different form for that exact reason.
Fine. They look the same. Whether it was "meant to look like a SCAR" is debatable. Though the Czechs easily could have been inspired by the outward appearance. And I suppose it's fair to say that the SCAR inspired the 805 Bren at the very least. But has had already been said. They're two different guns. And guns inspire other guns. Design details or even looks inspire other guns. They share other commonalities, but the gas systems are different for example. Differences in design and not being able to swap parts (you can't) do not make a knockoff or copy. If it was a knock off. Then I'd still think that FN would be raising hell about it. Especially since (for example) the 805 Bren and the SCAR-L were the final two picks by the Czechs in their competition for replacing the vz. 58. The 805 Bren won out narrowly, but had the advantage of being a home grown designed and produced rifle.

The Czechoslovakian vz. 58 used the same round as the AK-47. And it looked pretty damn similar on the outside. But they worked/operated very differently. Even though everyone and their mother lumps the 58 into the AK category when they shouldn't. Doesn't mean it's an AK. Same with the Bren 805.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts