FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope my concern is a non-issue, I have missed my chance to test fire the SCAR last month at a state-wide LEO training seminar and conference :(, so I’m going by just examining photos.

I am very interested (okay sold) on the SCAR system, in particular that it is touted for ambidextrous use. Looking at the rifle as a lefty, I’m concerned about one thing: The charging handle position in relation to the ejection port. Bear with me as I try to explain.

With the charging (bolt) handle protruding on the right side (optimized for lefties to use their support hand), if one tries to clear an already loaded chamber (e.g. stoppage clearing); it appears the support hand would be positioned directly in front of the ejecting cartridge/shell:

From past experiences, if I’m not paying particular attention and my right arm (cover-supported, bench, etc.) or thumb (magazine hold) is in front of the ejection port and a shell is being ejected at that time, there is a good chance (believe it or not) that the brass will bounce back into the port causing a stoppage.

Here is an illustration on how the bolt handle would place the support hand directly in front of an ejecting shell:

Okay, is my concern unwarranted, or have I discovered an issue for us southpaws?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think it's unwarranted.

Tilting the action to the right when clearing a malfunction/feedway stoppage, to allow gravity to aid in clearing, will alleviate the situation you're describing to a certain extent.

If it doesn't, I don't think that running the charging handle on the left side of the weapon would be a major detriment either. I'm so used to the cocking handle being on the opposite of my strong side that it's been a non issue for me on other platforms like the AK.

Honestly, I think it's machts nichts...

*edit....here's Larry Vickers running a Mk.16 Mod.0, he's left eye dominant so he shoots long guns left handed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Templar said:
...I don't think that running the charging handle on the left side of the weapon would be a major detriment either...
I see what your're saying, my personal go-to rifle is an FAL para and I go underneath with my support hand to access the charging handle. But the ability to place the charging handle on the right side is much preferred and a big sell for me ... after all, isn't that the reason FN designed that capability?

Templar said:
*edit....here's Larry Vickers running a Mk.16 Mod.0, he's left eye dominant so he shoots long guns left handed.

I see the charging handle is on the left side making it not as southpaw friendly as if it were on the other side (hence the title of the thread :wink: ).

EDIT TO ADD:

I just realized that the support hand would block the ejection port with the thumb-side out, but if I were to grasp the bolt handle with the thumb-side in, my forearm would be horizontal and over the ejection port, not obstructing it . Guess I'll have to try both ways when I get my hands on a SCAR!

BTW, thanks for such a quick reply to my very first post here!

·
Registered
265 Posts
No worries and welcome to the forum!

I had an opportunity to get inside of a SCAR-L and run one at a Vickers 3 Day Advanced Carbine/Pistol class a few weeks ago.

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9124

Larry's shooting the SCAR with the charging handle on the left side because that's just how it was set up for Brett, the FN military rep.

I agree with you that if you manipulate the charging handle with your thumb pointed in, you won't have the issue you might with the thumb out.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
xiphius said:
If FNH totes the SCAR being ambidextrous, why not have an ejection port switch side option?
Becomes waaaaaay to complicated. They would have to re-do the bolt release along with the internals, which would pretty much need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Point noted, though maybe a future version... (I'm dreaming)

Having the controls ambi. and the Scar being the Next Gen. Lefties got to do what we've always, done adapt.

Anxiously waiting for word of the 17s to hit the shelves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts