FN Herstal Firearms banner
2321 - 2340 of 2351 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
1st rifle, 2nd rifle I've ever shot*, 1st optic, 1st time shooting with an optic, ~2.5 weeks from stock to (mostly) this

live once, buy once, cry once

*1st rifle I ever shot was an FN FAL, so maybe this was destiny
Well Plaid, if that's destiny in a Pelican case you're destined for FN greatness. I see you've chosen accessories wisely too. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Beautifully set up! 👍 Congrats! plaidum on your first rifle
Thanks.

The one thing I can't seem to settle on is the placement of Elcan. I just changed to the location in the picture today after seeing byoung's 17 (pg. 116). However, I'm not sure if the flip cover resting the rear sight like that is going to mess with my zero. It seems like the rear sight would push up on the rear of the Elcan and move my zero down. And seeing as the elevation knob moves the whole optic, I would think I'm going to have some trouble with elevation consistency.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Thanks.

The one thing I can't seem to settle on is the placement of Elcan. I just changed to the location in the picture today after seeing byoung's 17 (pg. 116). However, I'm not sure if the flip cover resting the rear sight like that is going to mess with my zero. It seems like the rear sight would push up on the rear of the Elcan and move my zero down. And seeing as the elevation knob moves the whole optic, I would think I'm going to have some trouble with elevation consistency.

Each scope has a defined eye relief or the distance your viewing eye is from the ocular lens. Once you've established the eye relief that will determine the basic mounting position. Then you'll have to determine the optic's eye box before final tightening.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Each scope has a defined eye relief or the distance your viewing eye is from the ocular lens. Once you've established the eye relief that will determine the basic mounting position. Then you'll have to determine the optic's eye box before final tightening.
Yeah. When I first installed it, I adjusted my face to get the proper eye position, instead getting a correct and consistent shooting position.

So, I was finding that when (especially standing) I raised the optic to my eye I had to relax my shoulder back, which would slide my face forward. In the new position, I’m finding that I can brace my shoulder against it and not get the eye shadow I was getting. It’s also balanced way better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Yeah. When I first installed it, I adjusted my face to get the proper eye position, instead getting a correct and consistent shooting position.

So, I was finding that when (especially standing) I raised the optic to my eye I had to relax my shoulder back, which would slide my face forward. In the new position, I’m finding that I can brace my shoulder against it and not get the eye shadow I was getting. It’s also balanced way better for me.

The recommended eye relief should be in the manual that came with the scope. It is critically important your eye be in the same position everytime you shoulder the rifle.

The eye box I mentioned is the imaginary box so to speak where you see no distortion when you align your face/eye to the scope/weapon. Some optics are forgiving and allow some misalignment others don't. I have zero experience with Elcan.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of the eye/ocular lens relationship. It absolutely needs to be consistent, repeatable and near to perfect as possible. You do not want to be fiddling around adjusting your rifle, head and eyes. It is supposed to be one fluid and natural movement to shoulder the rifle, acquire target then engage.

Have fun and good luck, you have a fantastic rifle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The recommended eye relief should be in the manual that came with the scope. It is critically important your eye be in the same position everytime you shoulder the rifle.

The eye box I mentioned is the imaginary box so to speak where you see no distortion when you align your face/eye to the scope/weapon. Some optics are forgiving and allow some misalignment others don't. I have zero experience with Elcan.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of the eye/ocular lens relationship. It absolutely needs to be consistent, repeatable and near to perfect as possible. You do not want to be fiddling around adjusting your rifle, head and eyes. It is supposed to be one fluid and natural movement to shoulder the rifle, acquire target then engage.

Have fun and good luck, you have a fantastic rifle.
Thanks! I’m aware of the eye relief value for the Elcan. This is actually a time where I’ve been reading the manuals for everything to make sure I’m setting thing up correctly!

I had the concern of placing the Elcan resting on the rear sight like I’d mentioned. So, it was further forward (which I found wasn’t working with what I’m naturally doing, which seems to be “proper” technique) than it should have been.

Now, it’s back where it was when I initially was installing it. And I’m gonna reconfirm zero today.

This rifle stuff is a lot of fun. I could see myself getting rid of some of my handguns to get something else in the future. I appreciate all of the help from guys like you. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Thanks! I’m aware of the eye relief value for the Elcan. This is actually a time where I’ve been reading the manuals for everything to make sure I’m setting thing up correctly!

I had the concern of placing the Elcan resting on the rear sight like I’d mentioned. So, it was further forward (which I found wasn’t working with what I’m naturally doing, which seems to be “proper” technique) than it should have been.

Now, it’s back where it was when I initially was installing it. And I’m gonna reconfirm zero today.

This rifle stuff is a lot of fun. I could see myself getting rid of some of my handguns to get something else in the future. I appreciate all of the help from guys like you. Thanks again.

There are a wealth of books on the subject of scope mounting and use. Personally I wouldn't give up any handguns rather create a budget for long gun goodness.

Your 17s is an extremely capable platform chambered in an equally capable cartridge. I'd master it before I added another rifle like say a 16s or 20s keeping matters in the family.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are a wealth of books on the subject of scope mounting and use. Personally I wouldn't give up any handguns rather create a budget for long gun goodness.

Your 17s is an extremely capable platform chambered in an equally capable cartridge. I'd master it before I added another rifle like say a 16s or 20s keeping matters in the family.
Yeah. If I were to get something else, it’d be something way smaller. If the SC (or 433) ever came to be, I’d go with that. And I also really like AK’s. But on the whole, rifles just don’t interest me as much as (old) handgun designs.

But, I’m a long, long ways off from any of that. I got the SCAR with the intention of it being my first and last rifle and that still is the case. But, just keeping my mind open on rifles in general.

·
Premium Member
17,996 Posts
Thanks.

byoung states in post #2,306 the optic doesn't interfere
But Yes! it definitely seems like you'll have a issue if it's pushing up on the back of the Elcan you don't want any interference
Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
49 Posts
byoung states in post #2,306 the optic doesn't interfere
But Yes! it definitely seems like you'll have a issue if it's pushing up on the back of the Elcan you don't want any interference
Let us know how it works out!
Here's the way mine is looking at the moment. Seems to be the same as byoung.
Gas Camera accessory Office equipment Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Rim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
If that's the mounting location that makes it all work as intended and there's no contact between buis and scope, call it good. The Elcan has a quick release mount and they're called back up sights for a reason. Time to zero and enjoy...

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
49 Posts
If that's the mounting location that makes it all work as intended and there's no contact between buis and scope, call it good. The Elcan has a quick release mount and they're called back up sights for a reason. Time to zero and enjoy...
In the second picture, the flip cover is pressing against the rear sight. Here's a better picture.

Hood Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
In the second picture, the flip cover is pressing against the rear sight. Here's a better picture.

View attachment 149737
Flip cover is plastic no worries there, if it were metal on metal then there would be worries. Relax, zero, shoot, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Update: The placement did not work and zero can’t be adjusted with the flip cover over BUIS. so I either have to move the Elcan forward of the BUIS, remove the flip ups, or remove the BUIS.

:-(

If still within eye relief specs I'd be moving the scope forward. I personally won't remove BUIS, optics can fail irons rarely ever do.

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat
2321 - 2340 of 2351 Posts