FN Herstal Firearms banner
2341 - 2351 of 2351 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
I'm just guessing! but it looks as if you would have to slide the optic roughly a 11/2 forward for the flip caps to open
You're probably right about that, the integral mount has that scope sitting very low which is a good thing IF it doesn't interfere with the BUIS. Like I said, I have no experience with Elcans so don't know how far forward the eye relief can be and how that will effect eye box issues. Again, I personally will never remove irons to accommodate an optic. If the eye relief/box is very forgiving the scope could be mounted forward enough to allow both eyes open like a scout rifle configuration.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update 2: So, I moved it back to where I had it last time it was zeroed (I’ll post old pics later), rezeroed at 50yds.

Then removed it again, removed flip ups, and put it back where the eye relief and balance was most preferred (like my picture). No zero shift at all.

So, having the flip cover rest on the BUIS really damaged the zero. Couldn’t hit anything. And couldn’t adjust it.

Thinking I’ll just keep it without the flip covers cause I refuse to remove the back up irons and I like the eye relief and balance more in the rear most position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Update 2: So, I moved it back to where I had it last time it was zeroed (I’ll post old pics later), rezeroed at 50yds.

Then removed it again, removed flip ups, and put it back where the eye relief and balance was most preferred (like my picture). No zero shift at all.

So, having the flip cover rest on the BUIS really damaged the zero. Couldn’t hit anything. And couldn’t adjust it.

Thinking I’ll just keep it without the flip covers cause I refuse to remove the back up irons and I like the eye relief and balance more in the rear most position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you've managed a solution and honestly flip covers aren't absolutely necessary. You can use Elcan bikini covers as an option.

Reactions: plaidium

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
In the event an optic interferes with my rear irons, and vice-versa... as with the 17 (Elcan, which I got just this past Friday :)) and 16 (Vortex, which I've had for years)... I mount the rear somewhere on the rail.

As long as I have the small Torx wrench, I am fine.

Not the greatest solution, but it's the best I could come up with. I never want to be without the irons.

Camera accessory Automotive tire Gas Machine Toy

Tire Automotive tire Product Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's where we were:

Two weeks after purchase: Elcan over bolt release. I was adjusting my body to make this setup work. Not terrible but, not ideal.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

Yesterday: Saw byoung's setup. This is the way I originally wanted it, but assumed the Elcan wouldn't work with the BUIS, as we've discussed. But, decided I'd move it, go to the range to see how it would work. Total disaster, however I think I know why. Gotta confirm something else first.
Trigger Air gun Grey Wood Gun barrel

How we're doing: Same as yesterday: but flip covers removed. We'll see how long my OCD can withstand the flips not being there. SCAR flipped while I was getting something and scratched the front sight. Not a big deal and I have another one if my OCD gets out of control. Need to shoot more, worry less, and probably see a therapist about the OCD.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Grey Gun barrel

Thanks everyone for the help and feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Here's where we were:

Two weeks after purchase: Elcan over bolt release. I was adjusting my body to make this setup work. Not terrible but, not ideal.
View attachment 149754
Yesterday: Saw byoung's setup. This is the way I originally wanted it, but assumed the Elcan wouldn't work with the BUIS, as we've discussed. But, decided I'd move it, go to the range to see how it would work. Total disaster, however I think I know why. Gotta confirm something else first.
View attachment 149755
How we're doing: Same as yesterday: but flip covers removed. We'll see how long my OCD can withstand the flips not being there. SCAR flipped while I was getting something and scratched the front sight. Not a big deal and I have another one if my OCD gets out of control. Need to shoot more, worry less, and probably see a therapist about the OCD.
View attachment 149756

Thanks everyone for the help and feedback.
Here, let me help with your OCD, drop the rifle on the ground then throw some dirt on it. Not only will it survive but you'll be over treating it like it isn't a military weapon. It's a battle rifle not a safe queen, treat it like you stole it.

2341 - 2351 of 2351 Posts