FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will preempt by apologizing because this topic has been put through a meat grinder, eaten, digested, and crapped out a thousand times.

What I'm going to do is move my current setup from the 17 to the 16. That's a trijicon 3-9X40mm mil dot. Loved the mil dot for the 17 but was left wanting more magnification.

I am down to three optic choices for the 17.

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 Leupold
Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm
Leupold 115008 VX-6 3-18 Riflescope

Here's the kicker. I want a lit reticle. I have had great success with trijicons tritium dot accupoint and night hunting with a full moon. I want a lit reticle for that based on that but... Problem is my brain hurts when I think about the premium paid for a MK6 with a lit reticle. any time the Mk6 lit reticle is mentioned its akin to going full retard on price and deemed not worth it. I could do without the lit part if I could still hunt at night without a light. (Hogs) The VX6 is lighter and only 1.5 inches longer for 1/3 the price even with a lit reticle. The nightforce I have no knowledge of other than what I have read a lot about and it seams like a solid contender. The trijicon I have now on the 17 is 15 ozs including the mount and I could tolerate another 10 ozs or so. I'm conflicted. The buy once cry once method always works sometimes but 3,500$ is ridiculous and would require a lot of crying.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The 2 best things I did was read, and then called local shops to see who had actually them sitting there.
After actually feeling the turrets and tinkering, I came to further conclusions.
-it took months to find most of them in stock.

Be patient.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2 best things I did was read, and then called local shops to see who had actually them sitting there.
After actually feeling the turrets and tinkering, I came to further conclusions.
-it took months to find most of them in stock.

Be patient.
What did you wind up with?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've used a Viper PST 4-16x50 on another platform with great results, if you want an illuminated reticle and some extended range. You'd have plenty of money left in the bank for other add-ons or ammo and Vortex has a great warranty.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used a Viper PST 4-16x50 on another platform with great results, if you want an illuminated reticle and some extended range. You'd have plenty of money left in the bank for other add-ons or ammo and Vortex has a great warranty.
From my experience and research the glass and durability of a Vortex dont stand up to Leupold and nightforce. I'm looking for a permanent solution. I will admit that I have yet to run a vortex optic on any of my rigs. What do you think about this?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Currently I've started looking at the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50, not out yet but really interesting.
Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50 EBR-2C<br />(MOA)
Also the MK6 3-18 and the new Burris 3-15x50 XTR II, all 34mm tubes. None of these for my 17 but the SPR A5M I picked up that is still naked.:cry:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The nightforce is awesome in low light and the lit reticle is a must if you hunt at night. If you've got the coin for illuminated Mark 6, you might as well look at the new FLIR thermals.

·
Registered
150 Posts
From my experience and research the glass and durability of a Vortex dont stand up to Leupold and nightforce. I'm looking for a permanent solution. I will admit that I have yet to run a vortex optic on any of my rigs. What do you think about this?
I can't attest for the vortex durability but they have a superb warranty so if something did happen you'd be covered.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What did you wind up with?
An automotive bill!

I still have to compare the 2.510x32 vs the 42 to see which resides on a target 16s w/ 45 deg KAC micro offsets.
Likely a NF 2.5-10x42 w/ dual digi-illum.
NF unimount w/ a torque gauge ...and leaving it on.
-A small take-off wrench in the handle.

rearrearup.jpg 505588E2-EA35-4371-BB3B-[D130B66D579D.jpg NF uni.jpg

It's going to remind me of this included pic.
The rough run in the mud FDE 16s will get the Elcan 1-4x and if I hate it, then I will sell it.
OT and grumpiness should bring good things for 2014.

I passed on the First focal plane Mk6 1-6 for now, hoping for a Mk6 3-18x44 low profile when all the reviews pour in by 2015-16.

·
Registered
120 Posts
In the optics talk forum everybody recommends the SWFA 5x20 scope. It costs about $1500 compared to the vortex of $1000.

They all say it is built so much better and beefier than the vortex.

What do you think of the SWFA 5x20?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can get a Leupy Mark 4 L/RT 4.5-14x50m M1 Illuminated mil dot for about $1035, but my Mark 4 M/RT 2.5-8 is all I need right now. The NFs and Mark 6s were out of my current budget. Vortex may not be as stout as NF or USO, but good quality and they stand by their product. Try them all out and pick what you like best. It seems that Mark6s are the going consensus lately for those that have the expendable income.

Either way, let see pics when you get a scope installed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the NF 3x15 F1 (NP-R1) and the mk6 3x18 M5B2(CM-RW). Both have excellent glass and precise controls, but the mk6 turret feel is better and it's zero stop setup is easier. The NF illumination is adjusted with a small screwdriver which is a PITA. I too couldn't justify the $$ for illumination on the mk6, but I wanted the B2 turret anyway.

The NF has a bigger eye box, but that's to be expected with higher magnification and smaller objective lens on the mk6.

The mk6 reticle can't be used at the 7-800(?) meter drop at full power (18x) because it gets cut off. That disappointed me, but honestly I haven't tested it past 300 yards so it's not been a issue. Still.

I move them from gun to gun so the pain is lessened.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The nightforce is awesome in low light and the lit reticle is a must if you hunt at night. If you've got the coin for illuminated Mark 6, you might as well look at the new FLIR thermals.
Which ones? I have been looking at clip on night vision and thermals but they are like 6K$+ for the 3rd gen. And you still need a scope to boot (clip on systems).

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have yet to run into anyone that can justify the ridiculousness of what Leupold wants for the MK6 illum. I think paying an extra 1,000$ would make my brain hurt for a loooong time. Maybe the price will come down? As a matter of fact I have yet to read a review on the illum Mk6 by an end user. Its always "I couldn't justify the price so it isn't worth it anyway and I couldn't afford it" which is understandable. I must admit that the stupid thing has me gravitating towards it somehow. I'd hate to pay 3,500$ for one right before they drop the price to 2,500$...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts