FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching this rifle for a while and waiting for the civilian version to come to market.

I had a friend of mine tell me that the civilian version of this rifle is not going to be made by FN Herstal. He also heard that FN sold the rights to the civilian version of this rifle. Has anybody heard anything like this?

I hope this is not true because FN guns are well made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shipwreck; I had a friend of mine tell me this; he is also waiting for the SCAR. However my friend could also be a complete idiot also!! That is why I posted this here in order to get the right information about the SCAR.

·
Registered
114 Posts
well, as far as i can tell all SCARs will be produced in Herstal, Belgium.

i don't quite see why they'd outsource it.

MAGPUL has a reason to outsource their Masada to Bushmaster, but i doubt FN would. and even if FN would, they'd outsource it "in house" (being to Winchester, Browning or FN-USA instead of FN-Herstal).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe they don't have enough capacity to build them? Read in a Belgian newspaper two years ago that the order book of the factory in Herstal was full one year in advance and FN had to outsource more and more of its production. This can ofcourse be a way to cut costs. (Unions want FN to hire more people, also because FN in Belgium has a relatively old workforce.)FN had a very good year in 2007 (even with the low dollar). FN is introducing new stuff all the time while as far as I can see they don't realy hire a lot of new staff. FN even closed a factory in the US (New Haven). I my opinion it's unlikely they will completely outsource the production but large parts of the SCAR will probably be made by third parties.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't see how they can produce the SCAR outside of the USA. With current ATF policies, they would not be able to import them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The statement about FN not producing the SCAR is completely false. FN will indeed be manufacturing the SCAR in the United States (at their Columbia, SC plant if I'm not mistaken) to the specs layed out by USSOCOM.

As far as outsourcing goes, it's possible that certain parts COULD be brought in by vendors, but the bulk of the system will likely be manufactured by FN. A perfect example is the small parts made by Matech for FN on the M249 and M240.

Tspeis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Damn

You guys scared the hell out of me for a second there. Take at easy on a brother.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts