FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the local shop guy essentially called the SCAR a POS I decided he may not be the best person to ask which suppressor would be best for my purpose. I have the 16s and I dont have a problem getting a dedicate 556 suppressor if a dedicated one out performs one that can be used for many calibers. I am looking for good sound reduction without a lot of extra weight.

Also, will be getting the trust so I can pass on to my family and understand that can hold up the purchase for a long time.

Advice?

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Add Surefire, AMTAC, Silencerco, and Gemtec to your list. Not sure what your budget is, but these suppressor manufacturers make outstanding cans and have equally outstanding reputations in can land...

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
149 Posts
After the local shop guy essentially called the SCAR a POS I decided he may not be the best person to ask which suppressor would be best for my purpose. I have the 16s and I dont have a problem getting a dedicate 556 suppressor if a dedicated one out performs one that can be used for many calibers. I am looking for good sound reduction without a lot of extra weight.

Also, will be getting the trust so I can pass on to my family and understand that can hold up the purchase for a long time.

Advice?
I use lantac dragon keymo brake on my 17s and 16s to accept deadair sandman S and cgs Helios suppressor. Both are very impressive but helios is a big surprise. It’s noticeably quiter than sandman s.

·
Banned
105 Posts

Advice?
Well woth the watch:

·
Banned
105 Posts
you might want to look into the 3 position gas regulator from mototech as well, and i think they just improved it. i don't know anything about them cause they are illegal here.
Agreed on the Mototech 3-position gas regulator & the rubber recoil buffer, both for the 17S, but the 16S 5.56 doesn't need either. No overgas condition exists on the "little guys".

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I really like my YHM R2...does all the things big $$$ cans do...its affordable and has a great QD setup...

My trust was approved in 5 months...
Hey, Mate,

How long ago was it that your Tax Stamp was processed within 5 months?

I purchased 2 suppressors last year and received the Tax Stamps within 4 months of my applications being charged the fees. Like you, these were through a Trust.

The reason I ask is... today marks 6 months since my most recent purchase (SOCOM for the 20S 6,5CM) and processing fee charge, so I am a little antsy wondering if the new Administration, and their Marxist approach to freedom is going to impact the processing of Tax Stamps.

P.S. This is my third attempt at trying to type and send this... No idea why it is/was not posting correctly.

Cheers...

·
Premium Member
167 Posts

Advice?
Like everyone else, I have my favourites and have almost exclusively gone with SureFire SOCOM's in 5,56, 7,62 (both the R2 and the 300-Ti) and am waiting on a 6,5 version, which is still being held captive. Any day, now!!!

There are slightly quieter suppressors out there, but the SF's work great, and are built to last. Been shooting them on a 16 and 17 for years, and they have been flawless.

All suppressors that have been noted on here are exceptional, so good luck making your choice.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Hey, Mate,

How long ago was it that your Tax Stamp was processed within 5 months?

I purchased 2 suppressors last year and received the Tax Stamps within 4 months of my applications being charged the fees. Like you, these were through a Trust.

The reason I ask is... today marks 6 months since my most recent purchase (SOCOM for the 20S 6,5CM) and processing fee charge, so I am a little antsy wondering if the new Administration, and their Marxist approach to freedom is going to impact the processing of Tax Stamps.

P.S. This is my third attempt at trying to type and send this... No idea why it is/was not posting correctly.

Cheers...
Within the last 365 days, my last 4 suppressors, a 3 lot "batch" and a singleton", were all approved within 4 months, 25 days. The singleton, which was approved on Feb. 9th, 2021, took the longest of the 4 by 10 days, but as of today, 21 days after approval, my dealer has yet to receive the stamped Form 4. This is the 1st time that it's taken longer than 7 days for my dealer to receive the stamped Form 4 in the mail.

Obviously either the USPS has developed some MAJOR problems or the Examiners/BATFE NFA HQ WV are now sitting on the approved forms for weeks/months prior to getting them mailed for some reason. Are they purposefully giving O'Biden a little extra lead time to sign an EO to shut down NFA transfers? "Just because you're paranoid..."

·
Banned
105 Posts
Like everyone else, I have my favourites and have almost exclusively gone with SureFire SOCOM's in 5,56, 7,62 (both the R2 and the 300-Ti) and am waiting on a 6,5 version, which is still being held captive. Any day, now!!!

There are slightly quieter suppressors out there, but the SF's work great, and are built to last. Been shooting them on a 16 and 17 for years, and they have been flawless.

All suppressors that have been noted on here are exceptional, so good luck making your choice.
I was considering buying the dedicated 6.5CM Surefire SOCOM for my 20s, but because it's the only 6.5CM that I will ever own, I decided to go with the YHM R2 or my 7.62 SOCOM RC-2. I don't think that there will be more than a 5dB difference between using a dedicated 6.5CM can or a 7.62 can which I can use on other big bore long guns.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Nice video and exactly what I wish the store guy to say.....heres what works best or heres a video.
Usually the dealers won't because, A. they have absolutely ZERO knowledge about such things and, B. It's their job to upsale the customer as much as possible. The end-of-year bottom line for selling 10 YHM N20's vs. YHM 10 R2's is at least double without a commensurate benefit to the purchaser.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Suppressor.

I've got Surefires, Thompson Machine and OSS Seppressors.

Out of all of them, the OSS (IMHO) is the better of them. That is not to say the others aren't any good. The OSS just shoots better and has less blowback.
Surefire has proven to me they stand behind their product, even when you use the product with firearms it's not rated for,

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Within the last 365 days, my last 4 suppressors, a 3 lot "batch" and a singleton", were all approved within 4 months, 25 days. The singleton, which was approved on Feb. 9th, 2021, took the longest of the 4 by 10 days, but as of today, 21 days after approval, my dealer has yet to receive the stamped Form 4. This is the 1st time that it's taken longer than 7 days for my dealer to receive the stamped Form 4 in the mail.

Obviously either the USPS has developed some MAJOR problems or the Examiners/BATFE NFA HQ WV are now sitting on the approved forms for weeks/months prior to getting them mailed for some reason. Are they purposefully giving O'Biden a little extra lead time to sign an EO to shut down NFA transfers? "Just because you're paranoid..."
Thanks for the info... That's my concern; the powers that be may have begun dragging their feet.

We shall see.

Cheers...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts