FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hey, Mate,

How long ago was it that your Tax Stamp was processed within 5 months?

I purchased 2 suppressors last year and received the Tax Stamps within 4 months of my applications being charged the fees. Like you, these were through a Trust.

The reason I ask is... today marks 6 months since my most recent purchase (SOCOM for the 20S 6,5CM) and processing fee charge, so I am a little antsy wondering if the new Administration, and their Marxist approach to freedom is going to impact the processing of Tax Stamps.

P.S. This is my third attempt at trying to type and send this... No idea why it is/was not posting correctly.

Cheers...
Feb 2020 submit/cashed check .... July 2020 approval...

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Within the last 365 days, my last 4 suppressors, a 3 lot "batch" and a singleton", were all approved within 4 months, 25 days. The singleton, which was approved on Feb. 9th, 2021, took the longest of the 4 by 10 days, but as of today, 21 days after approval, my dealer has yet to receive the stamped Form 4. This is the 1st time that it's taken longer than 7 days for my dealer to receive the stamped Form 4 in the mail.

Obviously either the USPS has developed some MAJOR problems or the Examiners/BATFE NFA HQ WV are now sitting on the approved forms for weeks/months prior to getting them mailed for some reason. Are they purposefully giving O'Biden a little extra lead time to sign an EO to shut down NFA transfers? "Just because you're paranoid..."
I think the Gods are smiling on me... I just got a call from my LGS and the Stamp showed up 5 mins ago... Exactly 6 months to the day of being charged the fee... :D

So, all is good.

Cheers

·
Registered
314 Posts
Running an Omega 300 and Blackhawk Gas Can (rebranded Omega) for my stuff. Both the 17 and 20 are tuned with gas jets and have home rolled buffer pads. Get a good can from the recommendations on here and tune if needed. Enjoy.

As far wait times go I have 6 cans, two Maxim 9s and an SBR. Waiting on another can. Shortest was 7 months, longest 13. All on a trust. Last one I did was for the Hybrid 46 because I needed a big bore for my 375 Raptor and that one was the 7 month wait. My SBR was the 13 month wait beginning back in 2018. YMMV

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have a Surefire Socom on the 17. It is neither the lightest or the most quiet can but it is a really well made can and the POI shift is less than other cans.

I actually think the Omega is a better can, especially for the money. That is just my opinion and really not factual. I have 5 Silencerco rifle cans and I like them all but if I had to choose just one can then I would probably stick with the Surefire Socom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Like everyone else, I have my favourites and have almost exclusively gone with SureFire SOCOM's in 5,56, 7,62 (both the R2 and the 300-Ti) and am waiting on a 6,5 version, which is still being held captive. Any day, now!!!

There are slightly quieter suppressors out there, but the SF's work great, and are built to last. Been shooting them on a 16 and 17 for years, and they have been flawless.

All suppressors that have been noted on here are exceptional, so good luck making your choice.
I am seeing that rising to the top of several reviews for the SCAR, the silencer co rep steered my away from the Nitro due to increased backpressure. Doesnt the 16s have a back pressure adjustment on the top and how much does that help vs changing the gas valve which I would prefer not to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Running an Omega 300 and Blackhawk Gas Can (rebranded Omega) for my stuff. Both the 17 and 20 are tuned with gas jets and have home rolled buffer pads. Get a good can from the recommendations on here and tune if needed. Enjoy.

As far wait times go I have 6 cans, two Maxim 9s and an SBR. Waiting on another can. Shortest was 7 months, longest 13. All on a trust. Last one I did was for the Hybrid 46 because I needed a big bore for my 375 Raptor and that one was the 7 month wait. My SBR was the 13 month wait beginning back in 2018. YMMV
Can the trust list anyone in the family such as my daughter and son

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I am seeing that rising to the top of several reviews for the SCAR, the silencer co rep steered my away from the Nitro due to increased backpressure. Doesnt the 16s have a back pressure adjustment on the top and how much does that help vs changing the gas valve which I would prefer not to.
Like all SCAR's, the 16 has an adjustable, 2 position gas regulator for suppressed / unsuppressed. However, as I think the LBC suggested, you can just switch this out for Mototech's 3 position regulator.

I have found that the 16 and 17 both function fine with SureFire's, but went ahead and put the replacement regulators on mine, and they do work. I think this, and/or gas jet replacement is necessary for those suppressors which have higher pressures.

I have been reluctant to mess with the jets, but have gone ahead and purchased a number of various sizes to play around with. I just haven't had time do so, yet. While the Mototech is an improvement over the stock, 2 position, I think the 17 and 20S SCAR's are still a little over-gassed. At least mine appear to be. I think with the combination of smaller jets and the 3 pos regulator, SCAR's can be tuned for virtually any suppressor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is a video post that speaks to this issue very well that someone shared in response to my general question and is a great video to watch. I wish I had a 20. The overpressure set up for the SCARs is intended to create a weapon that is likely not to fail in real world combat situations. Granted we are not in those so I guess we could tone down the gas jet and he explains his process to accomplish this for your personal set up. Made sense to me and I am in no way an expert....I might be a doc and understand the complexity of disease and people but I haven't studied this subject as well to make great decisions. The silencer company seems to have a good handle on this for the SCARS so I am going to discuss with them tomorrow and taking what I learned here.

·
Banned
105 Posts
There is a video post that speaks to this issue very well that someone shared in response to my general question and is a great video to watch. I wish I had a 20. The overpressure set up for the SCARs is intended to create a weapon that is likely not to fail in real world combat situations. Granted we are not in those so I guess we could tone down the gas jet and he explains his process to accomplish this for your personal set up. Made sense to me and I am in no way an expert....I might be a doc and understand the complexity of disease and people but I haven't studied this subject as well to make great decisions. The silencer company seems to have a good handle on this for the SCARS so I am going to discuss with them tomorrow and taking what I learned here.
PMM video:

·
Registered
548 Posts
All traditional cans will increase bolt velocity due to blowback...even "low pressure" traditional cans...

Only one that doesn't effect things is the OSS...

Good rule of thumb...if it meters really good...at the muzzle...it is going to be gassy back at the shooter...

Shooting a 7.62 can in a 5.56 also lowers pressures a bit...

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the local shop guy essentially called the SCAR a POS I decided he may not be the best person to ask which suppressor would be best for my purpose. I have the 16s and I dont have a problem getting a dedicate 556 suppressor if a dedicated one out performs one that can be used for many calibers. I am looking for good sound reduction without a lot of extra weight.

Also, will be getting the trust so I can pass on to my family and understand that can hold up the purchase for a long time.

Advice?
Anyone who refers to a Scar as a POS really does not know a thing about battle rifles and probably and other firearm. Something I really dislike gun store employees. Most are great and helpful but the ones that say stuff like that A don’t know **** about guns or B can’t afford a weapon like the Scar. Jealousy is a very ugly emotion. Lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a Sandman L on my 17

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an Omega on my 16 SBR. I was thinking of using it on my 17 but after that video...probably not. I want to get SureFire for both systems but I’ve been waiting since august on 2 cans and since October for the honey badger and trash panda. So the wait times are really deterring from picking up another.
All that being says I’d probably go with surefire

·
Banned
105 Posts
I have an Omega on my 16 SBR. I was thinking of using it on my 17 but after that video...probably not. I want to get SureFire for both systems but I’ve been waiting since august on 2 cans and since October for the honey badger and trash panda. So the wait times are really deterring from picking up another.
All that being says I’d probably go with surefire
You can't go wrong with a Surfire SOCOM RC-2 or a YHM for the SCAR. The Surefire is twice the cost of a YHM but it's built like a tank. The YHM is the best value based on cost & overall performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After the local shop guy essentially called the SCAR a POS I decided he may not be the best person to ask which suppressor would be best for my purpose. I have the 16s and I dont have a problem getting a dedicate 556 suppressor if a dedicated one out performs one that can be used for many calibers. I am looking for good sound reduction without a lot of extra weight.

Also, will be getting the trust so I can pass on to my family and understand that can hold up the purchase for a long time.

Advice?
I ran a AAC 762SDN-6 on my 16S and was very happy with it!

·
Banned
105 Posts
Yesterday I got the call from my dealer that the approved Form 4 for my YHM R9 suppressor finally arrived. This can is going to be dedicated solely for use on my Uzi Model 'A' SBR. From the date of approval by ATF, Feb. 9, 2021, until yesterday, that's 24 days to make the trip from BATFE NFA HQ WV to my dealer. Much better than possible 60 day wait quoted by the guy at NFA WV when I called to inquire about the suppressor. Somebody is definitely dragging their feet on getting the approved forms out and delivered and I suspect it's probably more the USPS than it is ATF/NFA, but whoever it is, I'm glad to be out of the NFA waiting game.

This is my final NFA application until the politics of what O'Biden & Co. have planned for gunowners becomes somewhat clearer. I have a pretty good idea which way it's going to go, so my next NFA wait may be at least 4 years in length.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to clarify the backpressure issue--this only affects the 17, not the 16. The 16 was the original design, and the tolerances are much higher; the backpressure is never a problem that could harm the rifle. That design was later upscaled to the 17 (technically the H), which resulted in a rifle with much lower tolerances, partly due to the requirement to keep the rifle under the weight limit specified by the SOCOM requirements. As such, the 17 cannot handle too much backpressure, and FN made a suppressor specifically for the 17 that was issued with the rifle. Civies are not able to get that suppressor. So, many suppressors on the market for civilians cause too much backpressure in the 17, which can result in BC failure, canting screws, etc. Since FN did not want to test the 17 with every possible suppressor on the market, they decided to simply rule that the warranty did not cover damage caused by suppressor use. In any case, this is not an issue with the 16, so you don't need to go out of your way to modify the gas on it, unless you just want to smooth it out a bit for whatever specific suppressor you have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat said:
today marks 6 months
Just like everything else, sales are at a record high. The offices are completely swamped with forms. And you have to keep in mind, the types of people they hire to process government forms are often disabled, low mental functioning types, etc. which is why it takes so long in the first place.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts