FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some older articles and watching older videos about the SCAR(2011 old). Everyone seems to complain about the stock. They say it felt cheap, especially the plastic locking piece. And the stock require some force to lock up in firing position.

I never played with the stocks of SCARs in gun shops, so I can't speak about them. But for those who own one, did FNH do anything to "fix" the stock in the past 2 years?

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Some where along the line, they added this part to cut down on rattle. As far as force to lock, do you mean from folded? Because you do need to depress the button when opening the stock...or at least I do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only confirmed latches that I've seen broken on here were a couple that came that way from the factory. Possibly a bad batch of polymer.

Honestly you will find more examples of cracked or failed PMAGs and broken ARs, yet many of us will trust our lives to them and it's not a problem.

As for the reports of latches broken in SOCOM:

M4Carbine.net Forums - View Single Post - SCAR 17 and SEAL's??
Posted by Hootiewho:
As far as the stock latch; I personally saw with my own eyes, a member of SEAL Team 8 take a SCAR Mk16 to his knee from a downward thrust from over his head at the folding part of the stock 3 times trying to get the stock to break and fold up. It held twice and gave on the 3rd blow, but to my amusement it did not break the latch or the stock, the latch just gave and recessed allowing the stock to fold.
Hootiewho is a well respected member of M4carbine.net and wrote one of the most extensive writeups of the SCAR vs the AR. The Firearm Blog » In depth comparison of the FN SCAR vs. AR-15

That story about the Seal Team 8 member reminds me of rumors of people purposely breaking their M16s in Vietnam to show how fragile this newfangled plastic rifle was to their trusted M14s. Shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone because of all the invested egos sunk into the AR market.

As for the rattling of the stock. the latest batches with the tan stock latch seem to have corrected it.

Buttstock Bashfest: GearScout finds out just how far tough talk goes | Military Times GearScout

8lb weight, 3 foot drops, mounted on new receiver extension tubes.
DS Arms M4 Stock
1 drop pin broken, lever fell off
3 drops failure

Ergo F93 Pro Stock (Magpul design sold to Ergo when they created the UBR)
1 drop failure

LMT SOPMOD (One of the biggest players in the AR field)
1 drop pin bent, stock frozen
6 drops failure

Magpul ACS-L
3 drops pin bent
6 drops failure

Magpul CTR
1 drop pin torn out
4 drops failure

Magpul STR
11 drops adjustment lever broken, pin shifted. 12 drops friction lock slipping
14 drops failure

Magpul UBR
200 3 foot drops + 1 10 foot drop failure

Rogers Super-Stoc
1 drop pin shifted. 2 drops adjustment lever broken.
3 drops failure

Colt Super-Stoc
1 drop pin shift
4 drops failure

Troy Battle AX CQB Stock
3 drops failure

Vltor Emod
1 drop pin bent
2 drops failure

Vltor Imod
3 drops pin bent
5 drops failure

These drops were from 3 feet. Now people will look at the UBR and say "A-ha! That's like the ACR's stock!" But keep in mind that the UBR does not fold and it has a custom reinforced extension tube.

This issue obviously won't be settled until someone puts them head to head in a scientific test and even then both sides will probably claim "bad batch of polymer" if they lose.

But wait, what's this?

RomeoTangoBravo: Bushmaster ACR and EOTech EXPS2 take a spill...

The SCAR survived multiple drops from a Peruvian kangaroo court from around 8-10 feet onto concrete including onto the buttstock until the lower receiver failed (The steel magazine hit the ground while it was spinning and cracked the magwell on the opposite side). This ACR cracked after being dropped 5 feet onto concrete.

Not scientific in any way, but it's the best you're going to get. Leave the "feelings" to people who do not, can not or will not accept that yes, the SCAR has undergone drop tests as part of its trials before adoption.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
That little bit that Akita mentions is gold for me. My 17 does not have it, but my two 16s do and I can say that the lack of rattle does a lot to make the stock seem more quality. I know it's silly, because it's the same otherwise, but when you're moving around with the rifle and the stock is rattling it's just sort of a bummer.

That said, the SCAR stock is wonderful to shoot. Put it to your shoulder and your cheek and it's among the most comfortable that I've ever used. I went from "meh" to "hell yeah!" on the stock after shooting my rifles some. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
While I don't doubt there were some teething incidences with the SCAR when it was first released, and nothing is truly unbreakable, anyone ever notice the complaints amount to rumors that just won't die?
Most of the complaints about the SCAR in general are basically whining on its difference to AR platform.
FWIW on pg 120 of the military manual for SCAR it instructs that the proper way to unfold the stock is to 'aggressively open against the receiver plate in one motion'-(paraphrasing here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I don't doubt there were some teething incidences with the SCAR when it was first released, and nothing is truly unbreakable, anyone ever notice the complaints amount to rumors that just won't die?
Most of the complaints about the SCAR in general are basically whining on its difference to AR platform.
FWIW on pg 120 of the military manual for SCAR it instructs that the proper way to unfold the stock is to 'aggressively open against the receiver plate in one motion'-(paraphrasing here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old school take a long time to die, even when it's not a good design.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I put a shooting pad from Larue on my scar stock when I was shooting in negative wind chills. I took it off recently. I noticed that my cheek riser is now messed up and it moves up and down about a half inch when it is supposed to be locked in place. I do not know what happened, but I might buy another stock and see if the new one fixes the problem and will stay tight. I don't feel this should have happened in a $2500+ rifle though. My 17 is an earlier make without the added piece in the stock. Purchased in 2011.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a shooting pad from Larue on my scar stock when I was shooting in negative wind chills. I took it off recently. I noticed that my cheek riser is now messed up and it moves up and down about a half inch when it is supposed to be locked in place. I do not know what happened, but I might buy another stock and see if the new one fixes the problem and will stay tight. I don't feel this should have happened in a $2500+ rifle though. My 17 is an earlier make without the added piece in the stock. Purchased in 2011.
Where does that added piece go? The earlier thread about it wasn't very clear.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
If there's anything else you want to know about the platform, please email me a written request outlining everything you can think of. I posted these photos quite a number of times so I would imagine the search feature is broken, again.

Now I have a question for you: Do you own a SCAR that was manufactured in 2011?

-SS

100_3127.jpg

100_3126.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tape used in military images

There is an image on "war on terror" showing a scar with electrical tape wrapped up and down around the whole stock ... Wonder why

1 - 10 of 10 Posts