FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

New FN SCAR-SC Subcompact Carbine
At Milipol Paris 2017 FN Herstal, the world’s leading designer and manufacturer of small arms, will unveil an innovative addition to its renowned FN SCAR® family: The FN SCAR®-SC subcompact carbine.
FN SCAR rifles have a proud tradition of usage by US Special Forces. The 5.56x45mm (.223) caliber FN SCAR-SC builds on this heritage with an extremely compact design that’s ideal for homeland security operations.
Specifically adapted for mobility and flexibility, the FN SCAR-SC has semi-auto only or selective fire capabilities, non-reciprocating charging handle and a wide range of add-ons.
This includes a red dot sight, tactical light, a variety of foregrips and a sound suppressor. All of these add-ons have been tested and certified by FN Herstal as providing reliable, durable performance in even the toughest circumstances.
The FN SCAR®-SC comes with a telescopic buttstock as standard. Optional buttstocks include fixed, foldable, adjustable (length and height) with either concave or convex butt plate and a foldable offset buttstock for aiming and shooting with anti-riot or bulletproof helmet visor. Existing users of FN SCAR® will already be familiar with how to operate this rifle, minimizing training time.
Technical data (with telescopic buttstock):
● Length: 536mm (21.10”) when fully retracted / 653mm (25.71”) when fully extended
● Weight: approx. 3.150 kg (approx. 6.94 lb)
● Barrel length: 190.5mm (7.5”)
● Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
● Cyclic rate of fire: 550-650 rounds per minute
Other rifles in the FN SCAR® family include the FN SCAR®-L (5.56x45mm/.223) and FN SCAR®-H (7.62x51m/.308) rifles, featuring interchangeable barrels, the underbarrel or standalone FN40GL® grenade launcher and the FN SCAR®-H PR precision rifle.
The flexible and mobile FN SCAR®-SC and the entire FN SCAR® range can be viewed at FN Herstal booth no. L110 at MILIPOL Paris 2017, November 21-24.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just speaking for myself.... of course....

1) Should have released with a pistol option. FN doubtfully ever will, heck they are probably only doing this after years and years because sales in FA industry are low.
2) 300 B/O
3) Not really as interested as I might have once been. Not sure the SCAR is the best PDW platform. Luke warm on PDWs to begin with. P90 is best PDW. Otherwise I will grab my rifle.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm working on getting my 17 SBR'd so it's a little too late for this to be on my interest list. I do dig the appearance of it though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the look, but honestly prefer the PS90. Just like the LWRC IC PDW (very nice kit, BTW), the LOP is, while necessarily short, is too short. And the muzzle blast, well, ridiculous. Sure, you can put a can on it, but then you’v defeated the purpose of the PDW.

GS

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think PDWs just have such a limited window of application for most.

I don't want a pistol, I need a pistol for certain storage issues - concealed, etc. A PDW isn't good for this either. Ultimately, I'd rather have a rifle round like 300 b/o Supers, 556 Green Tips, 6.5g.

The P90 is my favorite PDW style firearm. Unless I have a situation where I need a bag concealed firearm, I don't foresee a ton of application of it. I do have 300blk SBR ARs that are lighter. I'd be more confident in them stopping with 300 Supers than the P90, but the P90 has more rounds on board. I'd use either I guess. It just seems like a very small window of use.

·
Registered
463 Posts
there's an article about it on the firearm blog. someone has some insider info on the mk20 if you read through the comments.

·
Registered
211 Posts
there's an article about it on the firearm blog. someone has some insider info on the mk20 if you read through the comments.
Thise comments don’t match those from people I know who have been issued the MK20 in the past two years. Who knows.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We all know how FN is but with the current trend after the ATF blessed us with permission to shoulder a brace, with every company coming out with pistol options, I REALLY think FN would be missing the boat if they neglect to come out with a pistol and brsce for the SCAR line. I have been drooling over an SBRed 17 ever since I cut mine down as far as I legally could.

·
Registered
463 Posts
theres another article on the tfb on it. apparently, they have the caliber swap for it in 300blackout and the charging handle isn't reciprocating.

·
Banned
163 Posts
.. how does a multimillion dollar company take this long, and this much funding to come up with this mediocre bleh...?

...7.62 Galil/VEPR..?
.Gibbz upper?...

1918 BAR..?? LOL (Left/Non Recip)

Is the bureaucracy really got them in such a standstill..

You cant seriously think they could ever rely on the FA market with everywhere banning them, nobody major adopting them, and obvious shortcomings..

Look at HANDL..

FN is supposed to be cutting edge... theyve kinda been dawdling the last... decade.? .. So has most technological development, (Medical, Computational, Chemical)

5.7 is almost 2 decades since service issue......

Lets see FA get put on the NFA stamp list raise it to 2k, I don't give a ****. Its easier than this FFL/Business/ITAR ****. , Pull "Pistols", "Firearm/AOW", and "Solvent Traps" off.. its all a stupid joke..

Lets see FN, HK, SIG, all these major companies lobby WITH us. It would surely explode their sales if responsible adults could buy MGs as in the old days. Gangbangers and thugs will always use granddaddys colt 45 or a stolen glock. Any bonehead with a pulse is allowed to buy a gun, which is insane.. How is training NOT required.,,, but business license is,,? Maybe its the illusion that makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside.. like TSA. or Border patrol. The longest running post 9/11 joke to date....

/rant..

·
Registered
930 Posts
I really am happy FN is doing a Factory SBR. The fact that the charging handle is not reciprocating is icing on the cake.

Thank you FN!

I now have to tweak the family budget. I want to buy the first one I see and need to be ready with the cash in hand!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just speaking for myself.... of course....

1) Should have released with a pistol option. FN doubtfully ever will, heck they are probably only doing this after years and years because sales in FA industry are low.
2) 300 B/O
3) Not really as interested as I might have once been. Not sure the SCAR is the best PDW platform. Luke warm on PDWs to begin with. P90 is best PDW. Otherwise I will grab my rifle.
1. Oh yea. might come out depending on the competition
2. [Milipol 2017] FN Herstal has SCAR-SC with 300 BLK in development - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog
3. Agree with you. The P90 5.7x28 was made for medium distances and I believe the 300 black is just as good only needing 9in of barrel to burn off powder. But the PDW in 300BO would be the best option for PDW. Just wish more PDW in an intermediate cartridges that works. Really not too crazy about 556 under 10in-12in barrel unless "toy"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts