FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should go in the SCAR board or the FAL board, so I'm putting it here...

What does the SCAR offer that the FN-FAL (and variants - l1a1, slr, paratrooper, etc) lacks? Is the SCAR just an upgrade/update so that more money is spent, or does it fix something that the FAL had wrong?

·
Registered
408 Posts
It offers interchangeability of about 80% of the parts of the SCAR-L AND SCAR-H. That way, if deployed, there are less supply chain issues while still being able to deploy two different calibers. Not to mention that training on these two systems will mirror each other and that cuts down on transition times if one were in need of using someone else's gun in a pinch.

The FAL is a formitable weapon to be sure, but it doesn't have a .223 brother with interchangeable parts like the SCAR series will... eventually... sometime.... when they finally are released.... in 2048... or somewhere around there... after laser guns are developed.

Zhur

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can't give a better answer Zhurdan. But I'd just like to say that there is nothing that needs fixed on the FAL. For half a century the FAL has been the most common military rifle in the world. I personally believe it to be, bar none, the most dependable repeating arm, period.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the SAR4800 was available in 223. Takes AR mags. Most of the other parts (lower rec stuff, handguards, etc) are regular FAL stuff.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming.

Zhurdan said:
It offers interchangeability of about 80% of the parts of the SCAR-L AND SCAR-H. That way, if deployed, there are less supply chain issues while still being able to deploy two different calibers. Not to mention that training on these two systems will mirror each other and that cuts down on transition times if one were in need of using someone else's gun in a pinch.

The FAL is a formitable weapon to be sure, but it doesn't have a .223 brother with interchangeable parts like the SCAR series will... eventually... sometime.... when they finally are released.... in 2048... or somewhere around there... after laser guns are developed.

Zhur

·
Registered
320 Posts
FiveseveN said:
Well, I'm sure the Scar has more accessory rails then a FAL.
LOL!

The biggest innovation in nearly 100 years for small arms is......more accessory rails. :-D

I like the SCAR, but at $3k, I am really considering getting a full auto FAL for the price of two SCAR's. For $2k (the same price as my fs2000) the SCAR is a no brainer, and I honestly believe that it will fall in the $2k range, NOT the $3k.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea the rather high price on the SCAR was a little disappointing for me but im sure it is worth it :?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I personally think the scar looks a lot nicer ergonomically. I understand it is designed to run lubricant free also.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea i read that as well. Its look and over design is very appealing to me :shock:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where can you get a full auto FAL for $6k?

itstock said:
FiveseveN said:
LOL!

The biggest innovation in nearly 100 years for small arms is......more accessory rails. :-D

I like the SCAR, but at $3k, I am really considering getting a full auto FAL for the price of two SCAR's. For $2k (the same price as my fs2000) the SCAR is a no brainer, and I honestly believe that it will fall in the $2k range, NOT the $3k.

·
Registered
320 Posts
$7k, gunbroker, ar15, or a bunch of other NFA sites. But I see the confusion, I meant the FNC, not the FAL.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/nfa-firearms-7/13861-wts-fnc-16-folder-howco-gun-south.html

iwannausername said:
Where can you get a full auto FAL for $6k?

itstock said:
FiveseveN said:
LOL!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hopefully I'll get some trigger time on the SCAR-H coming up in about two weeks.

I'm a die hard FAL fan, but honestly, Zhurdan nailed it.

It also uses a rotating multi lug bolt that will provide a greater accuracy potential. There's a lot that they can do with the SCAR system that you can't do satisfactorly with the FAL.

I'm in no way saying the FAL is a poor design, it's one of the greatest rifles of the 20th Century, but a good way to look at the SCAR system is as one of the greatest designs of the new generation of auto loading rifles.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I am totally stoked about the SCAR!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts