FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't yield much on barrel chops to 11.5 and 12.5, but tons of infer regarding 10". I recently submitted a form 1 on my 16s, and was curious about what y'all thought about gas system modifications that might be required to go from 14" assembly to an 11.5 or 12.5? I have several SBR'd AR15's, and have found that 11.5" is my favorite. Figured id feel the same about my SCAR being an 11.5"

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
marvin pits at nefarious arms is your best choice in terms of cutting the barrel and gas system modification questions if you don't want to go with the factory 10" barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Im familiar with his work. He's done some dimpling on KAC stuff for me in the past. I'm new to the SCAR game, so i'm trying to figure out my options.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I spoke to Marvin yesterday concerning this and he stated that if you will run a suppresor go with shortest possible barrel possible to leverage the stamp fee and use. If not, cut it down to 14.5" and perm attach a FH/MB of your choice to avoid the stamp. The saving of 1" - 2" wont matter much, but from 14.5" to 10" matters for CQB applications.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Be aware that if you plan on a suppresor, some manufacturer's won't warranty if the barrel is to short.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I spoke to Marvin yesterday concerning this and he stated that if you will run a suppresor go with shortest possible barrel possible to leverage the stamp fee and use. If not, cut it down to 14.5" and perm attach a FH/MB of your choice to avoid the stamp. The saving of 1" - 2" wont matter much, but from 14.5" to 10" matters for CQB applications.

I agree 100% with this. 10" SBR or 14" perm or 16" stock. Nothing else makes sense to me.

Sony is is right per always make sure your can is rated and warranties for your barrel length. Silencerco Specwar or Saker are g2g. :x

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 14.5 bbl for CQB, long before the super shorty's and even M4's were available we were issued and carried CAR-15/XM177 Commando's with an OAL of 16" for CQB and they worked just fine. CQB is a practiced skill, one not easily obtainable in the civilian world unless you have access to force on force CQB training. SBR's look cool and are all the rage with the "tactikewl" crowd however they serve little purpose for anyone unfamiliar with actual CQB training and experience. My $.02 on subject matter.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I was quoted $250 which included $15 return shipping and me providing the FH. There are cheaper alternatives available but Marvin has a reputation which has no compare so why tempt fate with our precious SCAR's.

View attachment 29033

Seamac--- out of curiosity how match does it cost for nefarious arms to cut a barrel down and perm attach a FH? Also how long does it take and what is the process?

·
Registered
835 Posts
As stated earlier, I am not stating which barrel length is better than the other. I am simply stating from a cost leverage perspective from a good source. For me, I would go with 11.5" as many R&D results show this as the optimal barrel length for the 5.56 platform. Because I am in CA, I can only go with a 14.5" w/perm unless I go with a AR pistol set up which I do not want to do.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the 14.5" chop and perm attach. You'll end up with a very versatile platform.

As stated earlier, I am not stating which barrel length is better than the other. I am simply stating from a cost leverage perspective from a good source. For me, I would go with 11.5" as many R&D results show this as the optimal barrel length for the 5.56 platform. Because I am in CA, I can only go with a 14.5" w/perm unless I go with a AR pistol set up which I do not want to do.

Reactions: thmpr

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I assume so, then again I'm not worried about warranty, with all the mods in process warranty was the first thing thrown out the window. Besides with all the knowledge in here, I should be able to address any issue that may arise.

By choping the barrel-- will that void the warranty?

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
When I spoke w/Marvin he was going to use a 16's barrel chopped to 14.5" w/Breakout 2.0 perm attached to check feasibility for the bayonet lug. So, I have to think yes at least for the Breakout.

also can you pin any flash hider. I am going to use the breakout 2.0 by AAC for my scars. I love the idea of shorter barrel, but don't dig the Sbr form 1 thing

·
Registered
8,495 Posts
I think i would be more likely to chop the 16 and leave the 17 alone. For distance you need longer barrel. I just don't want my sub Mia to become supra Moa at 200 yards.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Personally, if I owned a 17s I'd leave it 16" too. The as issued 17s barrel IS 16" with the once "as issued" 16s being 14".

I think i would be more likely to chop the 16 and leave the 17 alone. For distance you need longer barrel. I just don't want my sub Mia to become supra Moa at 200 yards.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question Trouble, the civilian versions of both are 16", the USGI Mk16 standard barrel is 14" with the Mk17 standard being 16". I'm going w/14.5" on my 16s for 3 reasons, shorter OAL -not by much but- offering more maneuverability, a closer match to my Mk6 CMR-W reticle which is calibrated to a 14" bbl and lastly the fitment of a bayonet.

What is the original length of the 16 and 17 barrel? You said the standard military length is 14
inches for the 16?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts