FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I’ve been contemplating converting my 16 to an SBR. What’s the norm for pricing on the barrel? Is it a pipe dream to get one for 1k? I’ve been seeing most for 1200.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just chop your 16” barrel, will run you between $2-250 with engraving and you have more options like 10.5 or 11.5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On these same lines, I know that barrels are scarce right now. Are there any disadvantages to chopping your 16 versus buying a new factory one? Other than still having your 16 if you buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
On these same lines, I know that barrels are scarce right now. Are there any disadvantages to chopping your 16 versus buying a new factory one? Other than still having your 16 if you buy a new one.
Having a spare barrel is a pretty big advantage, especially in something like the SCAR. Means your carbine will be more adaptable and can be used for different purposes a bit better. The 10" barrel is fun but does have some limitations that easily switching back to the 16" barrel avoids. Also means you can swap the SBR barrel for the standard one, and not have to deal with as many questions or attention in a public setting like the range or a shooting class.

Whether or not those advantages are worth the cost of a new barrel to you is of course left to your judgment, but I don't regret buying a factory SBR barrel in the slightest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having a spare barrel is a pretty big advantage, especially in something like the SCAR. Means your carbine will be more adaptable and can be used for different purposes a bit better. The 10" barrel is fun but does have some limitations that easily switching back to the 16" barrel avoids. Also means you can swap the SBR barrel for the standard one, and not have to deal with as many questions or attention in a public setting like the range or a shooting class.

Whether or not those advantages are worth the cost of a new barrel to you is of course left to your judgment, but I don't regret buying a factory SBR barrel in the slightest.
Thanks, Alpha. I have been leaning towards the new barrel but wanted to make sure I was thinking everything through first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One other question for everyone. When I submit the form 1, under the manufacturer, am putting in Columbia, SC or FN Herstal Belgium? Again, first timer here and don’t want to screw it up. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
One other question for everyone. When I submit the form 1, under the manufacturer, am putting in Columbia, SC or FN Herstal Belgium? Again, first timer here and don’t want to screw it up. Thanks.
You should put whatever is in the circled area:
Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Gun barrel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make sure you list the model as SCAR 16 S and not just 16 S. 16 S is the first option that comes up in my form one was rejected because I did not list it as as SCAR 16 S which is further down the list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. I did list it on my RPQ form and will make sure I do it on my form 1 as well. Funny with the RPQ it said it was a fillable pdf, but when I got to it I could not and had to print it and do it manually. I made sure to use my best school hand writing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts