FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the questions but I have ran 149gr and 168gr smk, through mine and the 168 smk were good but was wondering what's the best. Thanks in return

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I get 1MOA or better out of PRVI 168gr BTHP. Its my favorite ammunition that I have used in my scar. It has been consistent out to 450 yards for me 600+ rounds. Its far cheaper than FGMM.

Reactions: mjk1

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I suppose you could try the 175gr ? that is a respected load, I myself have a bunch of Plinking ( 147,150,) POF,PPU,CBC... and sometimes do well with that. Then I have my hoard of SMK168....
I believe I shot a .610 3 shot group w/ my Armalite 20" and the SCAR simply shoots that the best. I will admit I never tried the 175, it is even pricier than the 168.

Been dying to try the PPU 168 that Kameron likes but would imagine that dollar for dollar that may be the cost effective round you may be seeking.
I shoot alot, trade alot of brass cases.. ( since I don't reload ) or sell them to mostly my budds... they love the CBC,PPU brass casings.

In fact if I ever do reload... it will be the .308 since that seems to be the most painfull.

PPU is PRVI

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine likes handloaded 168smk the best but it shoots 147-150 better than good as well. Just not quite as good as 168

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking for accuracy, I like the 168smk but I was wondering if the 175smk is better? I live on a island out in Alaska and there isn't a lot of choice for ammo;)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
When I shoot for accuracy.... I'm more to blame than anything else !
Truer words have never been spoken !

I have tried the Hornady 168 AMAX ... and 2 other types one being ( Combined Technology 180 gr black & white tipped hand loads ).
The precision 180 my budd sent me shop well but the AMAX wasn't better than the SMK... it actually shot worse. At least that is my story, sounds stupid but the SMK 168 seemed to be the ticket.
However... no telling what I was doing out there ... or what kind of day I was having...

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I suppose you could try the 175gr ? that is a respected load, I myself have a bunch of Plinking ( 147,150,) POF,PPU,CBC... and sometimes do well with that. Then I have my hoard of SMK168....
I believe I shot a .610 3 shot group w/ my Armalite 20" and the SCAR simply shoots that the best. I will admit I never tried the 175, it is even pricier than the 168.

Been dying to try the PPU 168 that Kameron likes but would imagine that dollar for dollar that may be the cost effective round you may be seeking.
I shoot alot, trade alot of brass cases.. ( since I don't reload ) or sell them to mostly my budds... they love the CBC,PPU brass casings.

In fact if I ever do reload... it will be the .308 since that seems to be the most painfull.

PPU is PRVI
I am going to venture a guess that PRVI is extremely underrated. I don't know anyone that harps on it like I do. For the accuracy I've been getting the price is outstanding. I just ordered 1K of this last month. I can't wait to get home and shoot it.

In any case happy shooting to you all. Whichever ammo you pick I am sure the venerable Scar will put a big cheezy grin on your face :biggrin: enjoy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I plink with nato rounds but when i shoot at the hrange or friendly comps i shoot a federal 168gr serra match king bthp and i love them for what they are (off the shelve and resonably priced) its my go to round but they run a lil over 1$ apeice

·
Registered
600 Posts
I plink with nato rounds but when i shoot at the hrange or friendly comps i shoot a federal 168gr serra match king bthp and i love them for what they are (off the shelve and resonably priced) its my go to round but they run a lil over 1$ apeice
This is good stuff I used to shoot it alot in my M1a NM and SSG. Give it try and see what you think

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm still doing my SCAR 17S homework, so please bear with me... I have experienced excellent, sub MOA accuracy with Portuguese NATO from my SEI built M14s with 1:10 ROT barrels, so I'm wanting to know if the 1:12 ROT on the 17S will deliver similar results with the same ammo that I have a good supply of. Also, if I pick up a 17S, it won't be so that I can shoot tiny groups from the bench, or anything like that. I seek a lighter .308 carbine, that's as reliable as my M14s.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Mil-surp will display fliers whenever 5 or more shots are fired. One shot groups are absolutely remarkable...

168 FGMM does well in some 17's while 175 FGMM shoots tiny groups in others. My personal weapons prefer the 175gr FGMM out of all the boxed ammunition.

-SS

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm still doing my SCAR 17S homework, so please bear with me... I have experienced excellent, sub MOA accuracy with Portuguese NATO from my SEI built M14s with 1:10 ROT barrels, so I'm wanting to know if the 1:12 ROT on the 17S will deliver similar results with the same ammo that I have a good supply of. Also, if I pick up a 17S, it won't be so that I can shoot tiny groups from the bench, or anything like that. I seek a lighter .308 carbine, that's as reliable as my M14s.
Now let's be honest H2O, you, I, and everybody else knows that you aren't giving up on your M14's. I've seen your posts and pics of them all over the interwebs. Full built SEI's that make the SCAR look like chump change.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
How do the Colt Zinc coated ammo run in SCAR?
Like any of the other steel cased ammo, I did some looking into the Colt brand ammo. In 308 the colt ammo I found was Colt branded Silver Bear ammo, Russian made, I run between 3and4K of it (Silver Bear)through my SCAR16 and what I was finding is it would have over pressured and under pressured rounds more often then I was comfortable with.

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
129 Posts
The intersection between cheap and decent NATO spec stuff. .50c/roar for Port, South African, Radway Green, German, Aussie etc... seems to be common @ gun shows here. I will note that the South African groups differently than true NATO spec stuff, so I don't mix and match too often.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now let's be honest H2O, you, I, and everybody else knows that you aren't giving up on your M14's.
I've seen your posts and pics of them all over the interwebs. Full built SEI's that make the SCAR look like chump change.
You got that right, I'm not giving up on them, no way!
However, I am honestly investigating to see if a 17 might not be a better carbine length .308
for me when compared to my current CQB-16 type SEI. The 17 will be lighter, and that is a plus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts