FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still can't believe it. My friend's favorite gun shop ordered too many guns over COVID, forgot to cancel orders, and were selling firearms way below MSRP. I got a steal on a SCAR17. I never thought it would happen. I do have to thin the collection a little now to afford it which means one FN15 and my recently purchased Bergara B-14 308 are probably going to go...

My cousin loves to hand-load ammo for hunting. Usually Nosler expansion bullets and Norma brass. Also have used Hornady in the past. I've heard hand-loading can cause feed issues in a semi-auto, thus the popularity of a bolt action firearm for hunting.

Has anyone here hunted with a SCAR17 before? Any recommendations on good expansion rounds? Or should I sell a Kidney and try to keep them all lol. In a perfect world, I'd keep both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still can't believe it. My friend's favorite gun shop ordered too many guns over COVID, forgot to cancel orders, and were selling firearms way below MSRP. I got a steal on a SCAR17. I never thought it would happen. I do have to thin the collection a little now to afford it which means one FN15 and my recently purchased Bergara B-14 308 are probably going to go...

My cousin loves to hand-load ammo for hunting. Usually Nosler expansion bullets and Norma brass. Also have used Hornady in the past. I've heard hand-loading can cause feed issues in a semi-auto, thus the popularity of a bolt action firearm for hunting.

Has anyone here hunted with a SCAR17 before? Any recommendations on good expansion rounds? Or should I sell a Kidney and try to keep them all lol. In a perfect world, I'd keep both.
I've been hunting with my Scar17 for the past few years. I just use the Winchester 150 grain rated for deer and hogs. Have easily dropped bucks in their tracks. I normally do head or neck shots to preserve all of that wonderful venison resource. I think it's the perfect hunting weapon, partnered with a 4-16 vortex, it's really hard to miss. Good luck hunting !

·
Registered
843 Posts
Congrats on a really good carbine. Fortunate at this time to get it somewhat below retail.

150 gr. Softpoint … commercial .308 by Federal, Winchester, is a good bet. Both group well enough.
My handloads on a good day are just a tad better. ( Hornady bullets with Hogdon BL C2)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats on a really good carbine. Fortunate at this time to get it somewhat below retail.

150 gr. Softpoint … commercial .308 by Federal, Winchester, is a good bet. Both group well enough.
My handloads on a good day are just a tad better. ( Hornady bullets with Hogdon BL C2)
Thanks! I'd actually prefer to hunt with handloads, but I've heard semi-auto don't always like to feed custom loads. My cousin loads all my hunting ammo for me. Any advice for do's/don't reloading for the SCAR?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Thanks! I'd actually prefer to hunt with handloads, but I've heard semi-auto don't always like to feed custom loads. My cousin loads all my hunting ammo for me. Any advice for do's/don't reloading for the SCAR?
I don’t know about the SCAR17 but back in the 1990s when I still hunted, I used hand loads from a friend with great effect through my HK91. Nosler ballistic tips and partitioners were the billets of choice. I asked the dude to load the ammo to full power instead of the lighter load he preferred for his own use. Shot great through the HK. The ballistic tips would literally cut coyotes in half.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Let's throw some trash M80 in that thing and get that barrel glowing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your mileage may vary but I’ve owned two 17s (one Belgian and on American) and both have printed almost the same point of impact but tighter groups with federal fusion 150gr as they do with nato ammo so that’s what I use. I’ve taken two elk with it a Coues whitetail and an Arizona mule deer with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Hornady Black
Automotive tire Wood Terrestrial animal Automotive wheel system Trunk

Wood Trunk Fungus Polyporales Natural material

168 grain A-MAX

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jaflowers,

Was wondering what you use for a thermal spotting scope when hunting? I use a FLIR PTS233 because it's relatively light weight and I can actually use it as a clip on on my AR if I see a hog. I just put it on one of my SCARs for a dedicated hog rifle. Thanks!

-psychobabble

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Jaflowers,

Was wondering what you use for a thermal spotting scope when hunting? I use a FLIR PTS233 because it's relatively light weight and I can actually use it as a clip on on my AR if I see a hog. I just put it on one of my SCARs for a dedicated hog rifle. Thanks!

-psychobabble
Bought it awhile back but it's a Pulsar HD38 S if memory serves. Still works great so no need to spend a few thousand on a newer one. Nice thing is I bought a cheap Sightmark Photon RT that uses the same battery pack so that's nice for varmit night hunting using both thermal and night vision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought it awhile back but it's a Pulsar HD38 S if memory serves. Still works great so no need to spend a few thousand on a newer one. Nice thing is I bought a cheap Sightmark Photon RT that uses the same battery pack so that's nice for varmit night hunting using both thermal and night vision.

Awesome, thanks! The thing that I like about the FLIR was that it has a USB-C port for downloading video and pictures from the onboard memory that I can use to power it for hours with a rechargeable power bank that are inexpensive. It is bulky, but saves on the CR123 batteries. If you have a USB port, you could do the same.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I use a rechargeable battery pack for the thermal, last for roughly 8 hours so usually covers me for a full day hunting easily. Keep a spare with me just in case and in a pinch i also have the one pack that uses AA batteries too. Pretty well covered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts