FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have refrained from posting stories as such lately but this one deserves sharing.

Watch this video, taken from a police raid in Des Moines, Iowa. Send it to some people. When critics (like me) warn about the dangers of police militarization, this is what we’re talking about. You’ll see the raid team, dressed in battle-dress uniforms, helmets and face-covering balaclava hoods take down the family’s door with a battering ram. You’ll see them storm the home with ballistics shields, guns at the ready. More troubling still, you’ll see not one but two officers attempt to prevent the family from having an independent record of the raid, one by destroying a surveillance camera, another by blocking another camera’s lens.

Scenes from a militarized America: Iowa family ?terrorized?

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
This sh1t has got to STOP!

I fully understand the use of overwhelming force where applicable, that being high-risk warrant service and that implies the LEA's tactical intelligence unit got accurate and verified information prior to breaching. However, a blatant disregard for the Constitution such as tampering with CCTV or impeding videotaping should be severely punished. I know it's unlikely but the LEO who did just that, should be put away for ten years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is a sad state of affairs when the force you depend on to help and protect you becomes the bad guys. If you try to defend yourself - you are wrong and are treated like a criminal - if you don't defend yourself, you, your family and your property are abused and in some cases damaged. And the so called good guys try to make sure that you don't have any evidence to the contrary to their side of the story. Let me say this, their are a lot of great LEOs out there - it is a shame for a few to poison the water for the rest. Isn't America great?

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
If you haven't, I suggest reading Rise of the Warrior Cop by the author of the article. Very interesting read to say the least.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
WTF.. Now if they expected to find a violent fugitive from the law I could understand this, but they were looking for credit card fraud??? Shouldn't that be 2 plain clothes detectives knocking on the front door instead of 8+ fully geared up guys with rifles and battering rams?

I wonder how often police send out a bored and under-utilized SWAT team on an otherwise routine case simply as a training exercise.

My favorite part is that you somehow label yourself as guilty by having video surveillance on your property, at least it seems that way since the news person had to point out why they were taping in their home.

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Iowa Cops: If We Know You Have a Carry Permit For a Gun, That's a Good Reason to Invade Your Home Like an Army (Even If You Aren't Who We Are Looking For)

UPDATE: Original headline mistakenly said "registered gun"--what was at issue was a carry permit.

Radley Balko at the Washington Post with a disturbing followup to the story about another superviolent police raid over a non violent crime, blogged about here yesterday by Ed Krayewski.

Why did the cops feel necessary pursuing a credit card fraud suspect to come in like an invading army?
Because they knew someone in the house had a registered carry permit for a gun, the police said.

That's pretty scary, Balko points out:

citing the fact that one of the occupants in the house — Justin Ross — had applied and was approved for a gun permit is probably most disturbing of all. First, hardened criminals who are a threat to kill cops tend not to be the sort of people who bother with permits, or to register their firearms with the government....

Second, Ross was not one of the suspects for whom the police were looking. It seems highly, highly unlikely that had the police knocked on the door, announced themselves and waited for someone to answer it, a law-abiding citizen like Justin Ross would be a threat to suddenly decide to kill some cops. But it’s much more likely that Justin Ross might feel the need to defend himself upon hearing unidentified parties break down two doors, followed by the sight of several armed men in his home. Indeed, that’s very nearly what happened.

Finally, think of the implications if this were the policy everywhere. It would mean that if you’re a gun owner, the police could cite that fact in and of itself as justification for them to violently tear down your door, rush your house with guns and point those guns at your family — even if their warrant is for a nonviolent crime, even if it’s for a white collar crime, even if you’ve dutifully registered your gun with the government. In fact, given that Ross’s permit is how the police knew he was armed in the first place, especially if you’ve dutifully registered your guns with the government. If I were a gun owner in Des Moines, I’d be asking some questions.

Iowa Cops: If We Know You Have a Carry Permit For a Gun, That's a Good Reason to Invade Your Home Like an Army (Even If You Aren't Who We Are Looking For) - Hit & Run : Reason.com

·
Registered
641 Posts
Makes me wonder what else they utilize to gather firearms intel on citizens...4473s maybe?

·
Registered
454 Posts
How in the world do you have to have a carry permit to carry a gun in your own house? I'm open carry in my abode, someone comes in unwanted, you'll see me in my tighty-whities with my .45 in hand, and if I have time, I'll bring out my rifle.

This kind of gestapo-like crap is exactly why I want to build an m1 garand modified to take a BAR mag and modernize it with rails, and then load up with AP rounds that laugh at Level 4 body armor. I just wish some manufacturer would just make a modernized .30-06 battle-rifle so I don't have to make a hodge-podge gun.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
This is more than just a little disturbing, meaning those of us with CW permits are targeted for overwhelming force simply because. Even more disturbing, without covert cameras INSIDE and out how would we ever defend ourselves in court if we survived attempting to defend ourselves from a not knowing who, no-knock, no-identify breach? This scenario would only apply to the not so rare anymore "oops sorry, we got the wrong address" blunders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts