FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have info on the S&B 1-8x24 PMII Short Dot Dual CC? There seems to be very limited information on their optics on the web, and I have found all kinds of information from "it's still a prototype" to "they aren't making them anymore". I really like the idea of having the flash dot in the SFP and an illuminated reticle in the FFP, but I am not sure if it's possible to get my hands on one

Thanks,
matt

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you got the $$$$ your gonna pay thru the nose - unless you gotta have that name - the recital - FOV
There are comparable scopes out there for WAY less money - that you could invest elsewhere - Japanese glass is as "good" to German in many aspects... your money in the end & how you want to spend it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you got the $$$$ your gonna pay thru the nose - unless you gotta have that name - the recital - FOV
There are comparable scopes out there for WAY less money - that you could invest elsewhere - Japanese glass is as "good" to German in many aspects... your money in the end & how you want to spend it
Yeah I know they are pricey, I would prefer to not pay $4k on a scope - but I stay true to the saying of buy once, cry once. Do you know of any other scopes out there that are variable zoom in the ballpark of 1/1.5-8/9/10, that have the dual focal plane option? If not, then it may be worth the premium to me over the life of the scope if I could ever find one. I'm open to other options not listed below if you would like to suggest specific alternatives

I don't necessarily want to turn this into another optics thread, the goal of this thread is to get info on S&B, but my other considerations have been (in no particular order):

1. USO MR-10 1.8-10, like it because it is FFP, +other customizable options. Depending on info on S&B this is probably what I'll end up with. I like the price point a lot better than some of the others I'm looking at.
2. S&B 1.5-8x26 Short dot, I like it a lot but the 1-8x24 dual would be a much better option IMO
2. NF NXS 2.5-10x32/42 don't like it because SFP, but otherwise like it. People love it
3. Leupold MK8 1.1-8 CQBSS, like FFP, I feel that it is overpriced and my experience is that Leupold feels kind of sluggish, but people seem to love this scope
4. Elcan DR 1.5-6, I like it a lot, but I do not like the BDC
5. Elcan TR 1/3/9, same complaint as DR
6. Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP, probably the best bang for the buck that I have found. But, after purchasing I would wonder if having the 1.8 lowest setting, overall quality, and other custom options would be worth the premium vs the USO. (This $ + USO $ = S&B$ from the start)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dude, you must have a hard-on for unicorns....... The USOs are heavy and their durability isnt all that great. A quick search online will result in finding some scopes falling apart. That S&B is in a class by itself.

Here is some intel for ya if you haven't come across it already. Good luck in your decision, you have expensive tastes forsure.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/schmidt-and-bender-short-dots

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You want serious bang to buck:

Hi-Lux CMR8 1-8x26mm - just under $900

If your LEO/MIL look at the Vortex and sign up (or a friend hint hint) and you will get a serious discount on 2 items per year ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude, you must have a hard-on for unicorns....... The USOs are heavy and their durability isnt all that great. A quick search online will result in finding some scopes falling apart. That S&B is in a class by itself.

Here is some intel for ya if you haven't come across it already. Good luck in your decision, you have expensive tastes forsure.

Schmidt & Bender Short Dots | Lightfighter Tactical Forum
Heavy, yes, but IMO it checks more boxes than most. I have found plenty of posts that said they had issues but most of them have been pre-2014 and I have seen a lot that says they made QC changes - whether that is true or not idk, but lines up with the timeline of problem posts I have seen. If I had a problem I would be pretty disappointed, would probably get it fixed on their dime then sell it because I wouldn't tolerate it at that price point.

Thanks for the link, I did see that post but based on his description it does not describe the scope I am talking about. I believe he is just talking about the 1-8x24 short dot cc; not the dual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You want serious bang to buck:

Hi-Lux CMR8 1-8x26mm - just under $900

If your LEO/MIL look at the Vortex and sign up (or a friend hint hint) and you will get a serious discount on 2 items per year ;)
Hey friend, thanks for the advice :th_character0053:. I will check into it

That Hi-lux looks great, thanks for the recommendation. It says they are out of stock though, any info on that? I have not really looked any other places for them other than their website.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Heavy, yes, but IMO it checks more boxes than most. I have found plenty of posts that said they had issues but most of them have been pre-2014 and I have seen a lot that says they made QC changes - whether that is true or not idk, but lines up with the timeline of problem posts I have seen. If I had a problem I would be pretty disappointed, would probably get it fixed on their dime then sell it because I wouldn't tolerate it at that price point.

Thanks for the link, I did see that post but based on his description it does not describe the scope I am talking about. I believe he is just talking about the 1-8x24 short dot cc; not the dual.
I know it wasnt the exact model but since you had a plethora of optics listed, I thought it may help solidify your S&B decision over a USO. Excuse my ignorance but have you considered running a 45 degree T1 with a regular 1-8?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it wasnt the exact model but since you had a plethora of optics listed, I thought it may help solidify your S&B decision over a USO. Excuse my ignorance but have you considered running a 45 degree T1 with a regular 1-8?
10-4 thanks.

No I hadn't really put serious consideration into it, maybe I need to go down that road before dropping 4 grand on a unicorn. I'm not sure that I have enough shots that would be close enough to need it, but I could always move it to another rifle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts