FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my 17 build after 3 years. What I thought would be perfect just ended up, meh.

What's on it:
Geissele trigger
Surefire brake
Surefire Mini Socom
Steiner 4-16
Borbo mount

The rifle is just too heavy to do anything productive while standing for the day. Prone it is fine but that isn't what I had in mind for this rifle. The issue is I just don't know where to go from here. I am not impressed with any scopes on the market after reading more about the Elcan 1-3-9. I thought this would be perfect because I don't use any magnification but the lowest and highest settings. I have a SS 1-4FFP in a NF unimount as a backup scope that was on it for a year. That as got put away when I got the Steiner. Do I put the extended rail on it? Canted red dot and a lightweight scope? Sheesh. I don't even know of any products that are intriguing at this point.

I would like a man size target capable rifle from 100-800 that is still portable. I shoot 3 gun, hogs, classes, and appleseed. Everything I shoot has to be carried for the day, not just from the trunk to the bench.

Where should I go from here? I know the SCAR scope questions are numerous but they haven't helped me any. Thanks!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Man sized target is basically IDPA, so 2.5 MOA horizontal and 4 MOA vertical @ 800yds.

If you want something lighter than the steiner, maybe a 4x ACOG. Another choice would be one of the NF 2.5-10 models, preferably the 24mm that they don't make anymore. 10x is plenty of power to reach to 800.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even think of the NF! Not a bad option. SFP kinda sucks, but alas some concessions have to be made.

Keep the suggestions coming please.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr.Toy,
I have a variable scope. Any other suggestions?

Armor,
Yes, that is on the list. I ran a grip pod for a while. It wasn't a great grip or a great bipod but it does both in a pinch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The weight is a problem for carry. That is why many go for 2.5-10X. You can go for rings instead of QD mount and save some weight. I don't know what kind of can you have or the weight of that, but consider a hearing device. I've even though about using a light weight hunting scope with just plain cross hairs and no illumination.

You might want to have a bipod. The Atlas bipod is high quality and very light.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Leupold Mark 6 1-6?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently posted an inquiry about the Norden Performance combat rifle scope (CRS) 1-6X24mm with 7.62 reticle in the wrong thread but have moved it here. It seems to be exactly what Im looking for. Sounds like you may be looking for something similar. The 5.56 version has gotten alot of good reviews. The reticle is designed to get shots on a human size target quickly by using the target's human anatomy in conjunction with the reticle. Makes alot of sense.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts