FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ordering my 17 (if my dealer ever calls me back) and I'm looking into optics.
I THINK I want to go the variable route and have it slightly narrowed down and would appreciate some thoughts.

Right now I'm looking at either:
-Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 side focus w/CDS
-Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 illuminated

I'm sort of leaning towards the VX3 since I'm used to higher magnification and the cds dials seem somewhat dummy proof.

But I know it's not 100% necessary since the farthest I normally shoot is 200 or 300 yds.... but I do like to shoot small targets and try for precision.

I love the idea of an acog, but the low magnification freaks me out and I'm worried I'd regret the 1K+ purchase.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Seems like you would rather have the VX3. That's what you should go with. Leupold optics are absolutely bullet proof (no pun).

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Leupy VX-R on my 16 and it's a nice optic. Wish I hadn't cheapened out on the mount =).

On my 17 I have a 1.5x6 ELCAN. Beautiful piece of glass. Plenty of magnification for 200 yd ranges.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There's more to the "train with what you know and like" than you would think. You have to know yourself and listen to yourself before jumping into uncharted waters. Some of those waters are good, and some aren't. Being comfortable and happy with your firearm is half the battle. Good luck and welcome to the "toy room"! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Seems like you would rather have the VX3. That's what you should go with. Leupold optics are absolutely bullet proof (no pun).
Bullet proof? I have a Mk6 that I ran on a Colt 901 AW and the recoil killed the brightness when set on 7.

Haven't shot a bullet at it and have no plans on doing so, but the one I purchased certainly isn't recoil proof on a 7.62 Colt AW.

I'll send it back to Leupold for a fix and keep moving forward, and I haven't lost faith in Leupold's QC.

-SS

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Bullet proof? I have a Mk6 that I ran on a Colt 901 AW and the recoil killed the brightness when set on 7.

Haven't shot a bullet at it and have no plans on doing so, but the one I purchased certainly isn't recoil proof on a 7.62 Colt AW.

I'll send it back to Leupold for a fix and keep moving forward, and I haven't lost faith in Leupold's QC.

-SS
I am sure I can point out a product from any line that has failed under certain conditions. Whether it be a lemon (your case it seems) or mistreated in some way shape or form. I would not speak badly of the brand or particular product for that reason alone. When I said bullet proof I was not speaking literaly and I apologize if it was taken that way. Leupold has an outstanding warranty on the the optics but from what I understand a limited warranty on the electronics. I have personally (stupidly) dropped a bolt action rifle 12 feet off of a tree stand and it landed directly on the objective hood of a VX3. That was onto a steal support. Not only did the optic survive but it held zero. The only proof that it happened is a ding on the hood. I admit that that is an isolated incident but it was a very good show of quality and durability to me. I have also researched several incidents where leupolds optics have held up under extreme conditions. As i understand it leupold has stepped up their quality in the last few years as well. I rarely hear about leupold failing to honor their lifetime warranty. In any case I appreciate your input James.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

-SS
He never said they were recoil proof, just bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I don't have a new Leupold mounted on a .308 semiauto rifle so I don't know how well they fare under recoil, but my old and still running strong Leupold Vari-X II and Vari-X III were and are mounted on my Sako TRG-S and M75, both in .300 Winchester Magnum. After hundreds of rounds, they're still good to go - and these Vari-X scopes weren't exactly top of the line either.

If I were to go with a scope, I wouldn't hesitate to go Leupold.

·
Banned
596 Posts
I have an ACOG on my 16s .223 and love it on that platform. I think you're right on going with a longer range scope shooting a .308 round. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22-56 Zero Stop with MOAR reticle that I use on my long range .308 sniper rifle. Can't be beat...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have an ACOG on my 16s .223 and love it on that platform. I think you're right on going with a longer range scope shooting a .308 round. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22-56 Zero Stop with MOAR reticle that I use on my long range .308 sniper rifle. Can't be beat...
The thing is, the SCAR isn't a "sniper rifle" and he says he doesn't shoot past 200-300 yards. At that distance, a 3x or 4x ACOG is plenty IMO. I have a TA33 ACOG on my 17s and I also rarely shoot past 300 yards and I love it. It adds very little weight to the SCAR, doesn't interfere with the charging handle and optics don't get much more durable than an ACOG. Also to the OP, most models of ACOGs can be had for under $1k. I paid $700 shipped for each of my brand new TA33s (yes I like them so much I bought two!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Interesting.
How accurate can you be with 3x or 4x at 200 yrds? 300yds?
I normally shoot at smaller targets, 8" round or so, not man sized.

·
Registered
141 Posts
get an elcan specterdr, amazing FOV, and great eye relief, only problem is the price. i have a acog ecos currently on my scar 16s which i am either selling or trading for an elcan.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts