FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to shooting so I don't have a lot of experiences in mounting scopes and would rather not waste money buying things that will not work. I recently traded for a FNAR w/ 20" barrel. My brother had recommended looking at the Vortex scopes and I decided to go with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA with a 30mm tube. I am now searching for the right size rings to mount the scope. I'm looking at the Vortex cantilever w/ 2" or 3" offset. I actually ordered the 2" but they are backordered so I'm looking at alternatives. I am also looking at possibly getting rings instead of the one piece, and am looking at Vortex Precision matched rings, but don't know what height to go with. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Go with rings as strong as possible, low as possible, and use blue loctite.
Several of us have had quality rings work loose on the FNAR's.
Also, welcome to the forum from Bama!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome check out LaRue

Welcome George. I have had good luck with LaRue single piece quick disconnect mounts. I have a couple of LT104-1 mounts that are flat, but you can get 10 and 20 degree long range mounts as well. I agree with Butchman on low and strong mounting systems and this one is strong, but it is a little tall for a 40mm. It should hold a 50mm nicely. They are not cheap, and you get a little better deal if you buy a scope/mount combination. Since you already have a scope, an LT104-1 would set you back $210 plus shipping and maybe tax. This is for the one with quick detach levers and you can save $50 by eliminating them from your order. The QD mount I use on a different rifle returns to zero when dismounted and remounted, so if you want to swap optics, this is a solid option from my limited experience. The LT104-1 on my FNAR doesn't have levers as I don't intend to remove it. I understand that there are may heavy duty scope mounts available for less and the LaRue may be overkill for a casual shooter like myself. I have, however, broken and loosened ring mounts on other firearms, and I am pretty confident that even I will have a hard time breaking a LaRue on a 7.62x51 firearm when the rings are set with blue Loctite.

While your on the LaRue site, be sure to check out their 7.62x51 OBR which starts at $3,370. Like the FNAR, it can be had with a 20" or 16" barrel, has a 10,000 round barrel life and is guaranteed 1 MOA. This is for a DI gun! My FNAR is looking better all the time and I hope yours is too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a set of medium height Burris Tactical Extreme with quick disconnect rings on my FNAR. I have found them to work well. I have the Vortex 6.5-20x44 and the medium height rings work well. As long as you do not need your scope set real far back (the scope might hit the front part of the rail), you should be fine with medium height on the scope you listed. I have not problem with MOA or less 3 shot groups with my handloads. I looked at 1 piece mounts, but they were all out of my budget with putting my FNAR together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for suggestions

Thank for the replies. The LaRue's are a little out of my budget at the moment, but the Burris Tactical's and TPS are well within and I will look them over. Thanks kmiles in the medium suggestion as I was especially worried about height. I was wondering about the PEPR as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I am new to shooting so I don't have a lot of experiences in mounting scopes and would rather not waste money buying things that will not work. I recently traded for a FNAR w/ 20" barrel. My brother had recommended looking at the Vortex scopes and I decided to go with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA with a 30mm tube. I am now searching for the right size rings to mount the scope. I'm looking at the Vortex cantilever w/ 2" or 3" offset. I actually ordered the 2" but they are backordered so I'm looking at alternatives. I am also looking at possibly getting rings instead of the one piece, and am looking at Vortex Precision matched rings, but don't know what height to go with. Thanks for any help.

Burris Signature Zee Rings
Posi-Align Offset Inserts
By utilizing Pos-Align Offset Inserts in Signature Rings, you can virtually sight-in your gun without moving the scope adjustments. By keeping the internal optics centered, you'll see through the scope all of the clarity, sharpness, and brightness that the optics designers intended for you to see. The offset inserts also correct for any misalignment caused by receiver holes drilled off center, or the bases or rings being slightly off perfect center. And for you 1000-yard shooters, the need for expensive tapered bases or shimming becomes a hassle and expense of the past.

Posi-Align® Offset Insert Kit
Black
Installation Kit
1 each of +/-.005, +/-.010, +/-.020
626019​
Gunsmith Kit
10 each of +/-.005, +/-.010, +/-.020
626024​
Individual Inserts
1 each of +/-.005 Eccentric Offset
626016​
1 each of +/-.010 Eccentric Offset