FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 17 and I'm wanting to set it up for occasional hunting and mostly 3 gun matches. Just looking for some ideas on some good s ole set ups , I've seen a few with the mini Reddot on the side , where do you get that mount ? I've heard the Vortex makes a good scope for the price. I've had a TA31F Acog and I want a little more magnification. Any help and pics would be great , thanks .

·
Registered
11 Posts
after many hours spent on this same issue, I chose the Leupold VXR patrol 1.25 to 4. For me it came down to weight, I want my 17 to stay as light as possible. The VXR came in at 11 oz. I plan to use my Scar for hunting and plinking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great , any other ideas out there , I have a nice new in box NIKON PROSTAFF that I may use for now , what about scope QD mounts. I'm a Larue tactical fan myself

·
Registered
602 Posts
Vortex 2.5-10x FFP riflescope. Msrp $899.99

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 MOA

Or

Vortex 2.5-10x Second Focal plane riflescope. Msrp $699.99

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MOA

Both can be had for about $100 less if you shop around, and most places will ship for free. I would love one of these in a ADM mount. Personally, I would go with the Second Focal Plane model, and get a good quality one piece QD mount with the money I would save. The bell is just a little bigger as well at 44mm compared to 32mm on the FFP model.

On a side note, I love ACOGs. I suggest you keep the 17s as badass as possible. Get a bigger ACOG.
TA55A ACOG - Trijicon, Inc. $1964.00

or

Go for a British "sharpshooter" style with one of these.
TA648-308 ACOG - Trijicon, Inc. - Msrp $2680.00

militarywarfighter.com has a great selection of ACOGs at decent prices. I have no affiliation with them other than purchasing a rifle scope after very long discussions with the owner. He took the time to help me in every way I needed and I even learned a few things. Hope you have fun in your choice for a new optic!

If you couldn't tell, I cant sleep

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use a Loopy 1.24-4 VX-R Hog scope with the firedot PigPlex reticle mounted on a Quick Release Ad Recon by American Defense. The Hog is very clear and brite and the reticle works well for a deer chest as well as hogs as they are similar in size.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's up with these Elcans , I've never heard of them till I got my SCAR. I've had alot of optics Aimpoint , Acogs, Luepolds, Eotechs etc but never heard of these till now. They look like they weigh 20 Pds :/

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
What kind of lower you have on that 17s Bob ?
Judging by the last photo, I would venture to say that's a Handl Defense lower, maybe?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use a Loopy 1.24-4 VX-R Hog scope with the firedot PigPlex reticle mounted on a Quick Release Ad Recon by American Defense. The Hog is very clear and brite and the reticle works well for a deer chest as well as hogs as they are similar in size.
Hey, renderit. I run that scope on my 17 as well and it works great for me. My current QD rings leave something to be desired, though. The AD Recon mount looks to be a good option. Which model of the Recon do you use? I'm looking for low over bore axis and no cantilever. Could you also recommend a retail source?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Hey, renderit. I run that scope on my 17 as well and it works great for me. My current QD rings leave something to be desired, though. The AD Recon mount looks to be a good option. Which model of the Recon do you use? I'm looking for low over bore axis and no cantilever. Could you also recommend a retail source?
Thanks in advance.
AD-RECON-S. I use it with my Mark AR Mod 1, 1.5-4x. Comes in various ring sizes as required.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts