FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome, dang we sure are getting a lot of new members lately. I guess we have "Obama gun buy mania" to thank for that. :lol:

As to your question, how much ya wanna spend and what range do you anticipate shooting the most? What type of reticules do you prefer?

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
suggestions

Thanks for the replies. I will be mostly shooting within 200 yards but also want the capability for the long range shots, looking for something within the 300 - 800 price range. (budget is tight this time of year). I would also like a type of BDC reticle or turrets to help me out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, i recently purchased a fnar light. you may want to consider a ior super m2 combat scope. they are built like a tank and are calibrated for the 308 round, lighted retical and 6 power magnification. they run in the 475-600 range. they also come with your choice of heavy duty rings.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scope

Guys help me decide between these three scopes. 1.) Leupold VX III 4.5-14X40 LR w/ boone and crockett reticle. 2.) Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40, Z-600 reticle. 3.) Burris Fulfield II 4.5-14X42, balistic plex reticle

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Thiis is the scope I purchased for my FNAR

Bushnell Yardagepro 4-12x42

This scope has three features that are absolutely phenomenal.

1. It has in integrated Laser Rangefinder. Unreal. If you haven't played with one of these, try it. You will never by another kind of scope again.
2. It has bullet drop compensation turrets that replace the standard turrets. Just match your ballistics and there are visible notches right on the turret that shows actual yardage numbers....

3. PLUS, it has a wireless trigger remote to activate the range finder. I have it located right by the location of where my thumb would go.

The low profile of the scope is PERFECT for the rail on the FNAR.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone purchased the FN 30mm scope rings? How long of a waite and how much? Or, do you think something else is more superior?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I decided to start with the Millett DMS-1, 1-4 x 24mm, with donut-dot illuminated reticle. Less than < $250. Unfortunately, this particular model is made in China, which I didn't realize till I rec'v'd it. Oh well; Millett is a good California company nonetheless. You can see and read about it on their web site, but I will try to figure out how to get some images in this posting. Here is site:
http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/dms_reddot

(Oh well, I gave up on trying to insert images - maybe HTML must be enabled/ON?)

Here are some descriptions from Millett:
1-4X24 DESIGNATED MARKSMAN SCOPE

The Designated Marksman Scope fills the requirements of the law enforcement officer, rifle shooter, and the big game hunter who needs a quick-sighting system at ranges of 5 yards to 500 yards. The "Dot-in-a-Donut" reticle allows for fast, natural aiming. The shooter\ís eye lines up the circle at close range, and the one MOA dot gives accuracy at the longer ranges. Range estimation is straight forward by use of the circle out to 500 yards. Compact design, 30mm tube, fully coated glass and bright illumination of the reticle are just a few of the many features of the DMS-1. Bright red illumination of the reticle adds to the quickness of the sighting system in day and low-light conditions. At 1 power it works well as a reflex sight and at longer ranges the 4X magnification gives increased accuracy.
About the donut-dot reticle:
DONUT-DOT RETICLE
The Designated Marksman Scope Reticle offers quick sighting under the most demanding conditions of close combat or dangerous game. The "Dot-in-a-Donut" aligns naturally to give accurate shot placement at ranges of 3 meters to 400 meters. Range measurement by use of the known scale of the donut is a simple matter.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
ick,

I had the images as .JPGs on my local hard drive. Couldn't figure out how to upload them from there. I guess a site like PhotoBucket has a way to upload images from my local hard drive, then I can use PhotoBucket's URL to upload to fnforum? How quaint. Regardless of quaintitude, is that what you meant? If "yes", no further answer (or photos!) needed. Cheers, Bill

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Yes, sounds like you were where I was at. I didn't want to do the whole Photobucket thing but eventually someone convinced me to finally do it. Now that is actually easier than working with them on my hard drive. The posting is so seemless now.

With the re-sizing features and what-not it works well. Just make sure you get a pretty good organization in your folder so you don't find yourself with a clutter of files. That was the mistake I made when I started my photobucket. I just dumped everything in one massive album and pretty quickly I realized I needed my album to be more organized.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My FNAR with an AIMPOINT 6-24x42 ($240) gives a nice view. I have a 3-9x42 on my AR15 and found it to just not have the magnification power I wanted in a sniper platform like the FNAR. I'm very happy with both the Scope & the rifle.

FNAR on the bench

Down range view 100yds

view down range via the scope 7 shoots off the bipod 4 inside of a quarter

Shot group w/ hornday 110gr Match ammo

1 - 20 of 38 Posts