FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to end up as an opinion thread, but here it goes anyways.

I have a FNX9 that I carry (not on a daily basis as I work in MA and it is a major PIA for an out of stater to carry here), but I do carry it, or have it nearby when at home. I have been using a hand loaded Speer 147gr. Golddot loaded to around 950fps, so pretty much the same as the factory loads. Now that a lot of the SD/HD ammo is back in stock, I have been looking at some of the other offerings in 9mm, and there are a lot of them. The one that caught my attention is the Liberty Civil Defense 50 gr. +P hollow point. They show it at over 2000 fps, with a 50 gr. projectile. That is getting into the velocity range of the 5.7x28 with a slightly heavier bullet. Has anyone tried these in a FNX9? Are there any other brands/rounds that I should be looking at? Should I stick with the 147gr., or get the increased velocity with the 124gr.? I have watched a lot of the ballistics test videos on youtube, but have not seen anything that has made me immediately change what I carry. Just kind of wanted to see what others were using in the FNX9.

I am aware of the whole argument about practice with what you use, and if I make a change, I plan on buying enough to do that as I go through 200-300 rounds a month on several range trips each month.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have become pretty fond of the critical duty 135 grn +p. it has good velocity and the mass is still there to hit hard. I dont know on the 50grn stuff. Might be fun for varmints. I just wonder how hard it hits and how the expansion is. Federal hst 147 and 124 is pretty good too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't remember if there was a thread here that linked the study or somewhere else, but it showed speer golddot or lawman to be pretty high on impact and retention. Apparently stay away from 115, it fragments too much in the 9mm format. I tend to shoot 115 more than anything because I had some bad results w/ 124 when I first bought my pistol. That being said, I shot a box of speer lawman 124 and it worked flawlessly. I need to get some more. Right now I have a magazine of critical defense in 115. I'll shoot it next time I'm out and replace w/ the lawman 124... search this forum. I know there was a link to the study. It was very good and comprehensive!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I personally like 124gr myself. Lots of good offerings available. Pick what suits you and try them out.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'm sticking to 124 gr + p or 147 gr Gold dots, or 124 gr or 147 gr Federal HST's (possibly in the +p offerings, but from what I've seen, not really needed).

In my SIG P938, I have 124 gr HST's loaded up. In my FNP-9, I have 124 gr +P Gold Dots loaded up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts