FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing posts about these but I don't get what is the main attraction over the stock lower? Why would I want to swap mine for one of these?

Not trying to be smart, just trying to understand what I am missing...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Isn't polymer lighter? Polymer is typical FN in my book, I am use to it.
2. Does that mean it can no longer except standard magazines? AR10 Magpul mags are nice, mainly cheaper but I actually like the scar mags. Funny that they are going from a polymer lower to a polymer mag. ;)
3. Meh... Any of those grips can easily be modified to fit. I have a Hogue on mine right now and don't see a reason to ever swap it out.

Guess I am more or less on track with it all then, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Some like the idea of using common magazines across multiple platforms so they don't have to maintain a stockpile of two different types. The SR25 Pmags run a little less than the factory SCAR mags as well. The SEAL also comes in a factory spec. version that will use the SCARmag for those who already have a quantity of them but would prefer a metal lower over the factory polymer one. I would like to have one as my primary and keep the stock lower as a ready to rock backup unit in case of primary failure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
1. Isn't polymer lighter? Polymer is typical FN in my book, I am use to it.
2. Does that mean it can no longer except standard magazines? AR10 Magpul mags are nice, mainly cheaper but I actually like the scar mags. Funny that they are going from a polymer lower to a polymer mag. ;)
3. Meh... Any of those grips can easily be modified to fit. I have a Hogue on mine right now and don't see a reason to ever swap it out.

Guess I am more or less on track with it all then, thanks for the reply.
I'm in the same boat as you and agree with your points. I didn't feel the three were worth points were worth it for me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some like the idea of using common magazines across multiple platforms so they don't have to maintain a stockpile of two different types. The SR25 Pmags run a little less than the factory SCAR mags as well. The SEAL also comes in a factory spec. version that will use the SCARmag for those who already have a quantity of them but would prefer a metal lower over the factory polymer one. I would like to have one as my primary and keep the stock lower as a ready to rock backup unit in case of primary failure.
Yeah... Common mags are a good idea but having a stock pile of two different types of mags would really only apply to someone who had a typical AR10 which I don't... Besides I have tons of different types of mags already from AR to Scar and everywhere in between. :)

I guess the plus to the seal lower is it holds no serial number since the upper is the registered part on the SCAR.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If Stryker ever offers a polymer version of the S.E.A.L. I will buy it.

Until then, my S.E.A.L. in addition to my OEM FN Scar 17 lower gives me the choice of which mags I want to run. The MIAD grip alone on S.E.A.L. makes it my first choice. The fact that I now carry a 10 round PMAG that makes my S.E.A.L. equipped Scar 17 weigh less than than the FN lower with a 20 mag and my mag changes are 25 round PMAGs I will carry on my vest is icing on the cake. Two mag changes and I have run 60 rounds with the S.E.A.L. in this configuration, the same as two mag changes with the FN lower and 20 round FN mags, only my S.E.A.L. equipped Scar 17 is Lite-er to carry with the 10 round PMAG for starters.

The bottom line is this...

It is all about personal preferences and having options and choices is a great thing. It's even better when you have a quality choice that is of equal or greater quality and function to the OEM part you are replacing. I have a pile of aftermarket parts that did not work out for me because they are total crap. Live and learn. If you do want an aftermarket lower you have four choices now I think. The S.E.A.L. raises the bar and sets the new standard for them all and that is what all the buzz is about. Until someone offers a PMAG mag polymer lower that is equal to or better than the FN lower, I don't expect that to change.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Yeah... Common mags are a good idea but having a stock pile of two different types of mags would really only apply to someone who had a typical AR10 which I don't... Besides I have tons of different types of mags already from AR to Scar and everywhere in between. :)

I guess the plus to the seal lower is it holds no serial number since the upper is the registered part on the SCAR.
Well my recommendation is you don't buy one.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
If Stryker ever offers a polymer version of the S.E.A.L. I will buy it.

Until then, my S.E.A.L. in addition to my OEM FN Scar 17 lower gives me the choice of which mags I want to run. The MIAD grip alone on S.E.A.L. makes it my first choice. The fact that I now carry a 10 round PMAG that makes my S.E.A.L. equipped Scar 17 weigh less than than the FN lower with a 20 mag and my mag changes are 25 round PMAGs I will carry on my vest is icing on the cake. Two mag changes and I have run 60 rounds with the S.E.A.L. in this configuration, the same as two mag changes with the FN lower and 20 round FN mags, only my S.E.A.L. equipped Scar 17 is Lite-er to carry with the 10 round PMAG for starters.

The bottom line is this...

It is all about personal preferences and having options and choices is a great thing. It's even better when you have a quality choice that is of equal or greater quality and function to the OEM part you are replacing. I have a pile of aftermarket parts that did not work out for me because they are total crap. Live and learn. If you do want an aftermarket lower you have four choices now I think. The S.E.A.L. raises the bar and sets the new standard for them all and that is what all the buzz is about. Until someone offers a PMAG mag polymer lower that is equal to or better than the FN lower, I don't expect that to change.
Can you please explain to me how the SEAL is of greater quality than the OEM as well as how it functions better? You do realize that FN makes OEM 10 round mags as well, right? Also, I hope you dont shoot those 60 rounds in a row, youll mess up your barrel :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
For everyone mentioning grips check out the Parker Mountain Machine website. You don't have to do any of your own modifying you can buy direct from them ready to fit on your Scar polymer lower for a small fraction of the SEAL cost and they have about a dozen different options to chose from. Now if you want to change them out once a week it may be more cost effective to buy a SEAL but since most of us will only change them once in our lifetime it's not a big deal really. PMM SCAR 16/17 Magpul MIAD Grip - Parker Mountain Machine

·
Registered
974 Posts
S. E.A.L. Pros:
It fits and functions as advertised indicating it was machined accurately.

7075-T6511 aircraft grade aluminum, more expensive than 6061 you will find in some other lower choices, a sign no production corners or costs were cut.

The finish is incredible and being hardcoat anodize will last more than my lifetime.

The Mk 4 takes PMAGs including 25 round PMAGs

No reports of problems in assembly or operation.

No reports of failures.

Takes AR grips which means the grips don't have to be cut and will fit on other AR's so they are not dedicated for use only on a Scar and can be fitted to, sold or traded for use on any AR.

No complaints, suggestions for improvement, or claims of disappointment seem to be forthcoming indicating that it was well designed and well tested before being released for sale, an indication it is delivering on its much ballyhooed promises and expectations.

S. E.A.L. Neutrals:
It is stronger than the OEM lower but I concede that in most applications the FN lower does not need to be stronger to operate reliably.

S. E.A.L. Cons:
It is a net ~4 ounces heavier than the FN polymer lower when running 20 round PMAGs (but can be offset by running a 10 round PMAG and doing mag swaps with 25 round PMAGs to get back those missing 10 rounds in 2 mag changes, something you can't do with FN mags)

It is a net ~5 ounces heavier than the FN polymer lower when running 25 round PMAGs (less the extra 5 rounds of ammo)

It is an option that costs money you don't have to spend to make your Scar work if you are satisfied with the FN lower.... even Stryker says there is nothing wrong with the FN lower, the S.E.A.L. is there just to meet the demands of those like me who want the highest quality lower options, a personal choice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Only a very few have made it into customers hands thus far and I haven't seen any reviews of them in actual use by private customers just pics of them installed so to say there are "no reports of failures" is only true because they haven't actually been shot yet, lol :wink:. Its like having a car delivered to your door step via car carrier and have your friends over and say "it's great, it hasn't broken down once yet!", lol. While true it doesn't actually mean much, lol. Once they have been around for some time in use then that statement can be made. Not saying there will be any issues but lets be fair to make that statement doesn't mean much either.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
^^^^ This. Im not saying its a bad product at all, Im just wondering how people can claim its the highest quality option on the market and functions better than the OEM when its only been for sale for what, a week??? To each their own I guess. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
It will be next week before I can get to the range... long gone are the days I could pee and shoot from my back porch... I have installed and removed my S.E.A.L. at least two dozen times and have dry fired it well over 100 times, maybe over 200. I have done only maybe 50 mag swaps, something I need to do more of. The PMAGs show a little scuffing from the changes, but they feel much better going in and dropping out after a dozen times in and out of the mag well. I usually take a few rifles when I go and I stay a few hours. This lets me rotate them so all get heating and cooling cycles. I will get at least 200 rounds through the Scar like this when I go, with several minutes of cooling between each mag. I plan to get and post some video.

I totally understand.

I went through several months of pre-order status where at times it seemed that everyone but me had a problem with the delays. Then I got my S.E.A.L. about a month sooner than I expected so no more complaints about the production delays.

Now we are moving on to complaints about delays in getting some S.E.A.L.'s in action videos posted up and I am doing the best I can with that... soon those complaints will cease when the vids get posted.

I can't wait to find out what the complaints will shift to next.

But life is as much a soap opera and drama as it is anything and the internets and forums are a reflection of life. Like Hickok45 says, "Life is Good" :smile:

Reactions: hillbillyjim

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I cant wait to see some videos. I try not to be guinea pig to new products....been f'ed on a few first model cars before to know dont mess with first model year cars. Im interested in one but will wait to see how everyone likes it once people start testing at the range. I have bought other products from stryker and they are top notch imo so he hasnt done anything that would make me doubt his quality. Its where others have come out with similar products and all I see is complaints makes me want to pause and wait and see approach. So dont take it personally people want to see the videos. I hope its all that is being said by everyone that received one more after market quality scar stuff the better and from a forum supporting vendor its a plus. If I get one it would be the one that takes oem mags. And I already have spare lowers for my scars also so having a seal would be cool too

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
No drama on my part. Just asking questions. So does that mean you have not fired a single round through it yet? And I realize you waited several months, but others have been waiting years.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No drama on my part. Just asking questions. So does that mean you have not fired a single round through it yet? And I realize you waited several months, but others have been waiting years.

Thats the reason that i am not hopping up and down saying " The seal is awesome!!!!"

I haven't shot it yet. I do plan on putting at least 140 rounds through the SEAL in the coming weeks. Thats 5 mag changes and enough left over for 3 groups of 5 rounds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A question was asked and supporters of the SEAL have chimed in to list the pros and cons from their point of view. I think were all entitled to voice our pros and cons to answer the question. I'm a weekend warrior, I shoot for fun not in case of zombies or the end of the world. To me I don't have a need to spend $1k on a completed SEAL when the creator didn't feel it was "necessary" to fix any OEM problems. Obviously there is a huge following and for valid reasons. It seems to be extremely well made, by a very revered sponsor of this site. I don't expect anything to go wrong... EVER, but then I expect the same from my OEM lower which has been battle tested/proven by some of the best since its inception. It's just not for me as I have other things I would choose to spend my money on first. If I hit the lottery I'll buy one though, just don't see a "need" for it.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Can you please explain to me how the SEAL is of greater quality than the OEM as well as how it functions better?
I could, but it would require to make public information that I refuse to make public. The SEAL release video does answer your questions I invite you to view it.

I would also like to ask you why you purchased a couple of SCARs considering there are far cheaper weapons that do the same for your level of shooting, or why an average guy would purchase plate carriers, NODs, and PEQ-15s? Maybe it's because this is America and people are free to spend their hard earned money on whatever they please.

The men who installed and fired over 75,000+ rounds through SEAL modules (so far) on their Mk17 and Mk20 weapons aren't going to come to FNF and validate anything to you, so you don't have that to look forward to. They don't need to and are busy doing more important things.

One thing is certain, those men are 100% confident in their SEAL modules and for that I am honored to have made a difference for them.

Offering the same derivative to the commercial market is a natural progression, just as FN has allowed you to purchase your SCARs.

-Jim

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.