FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New scar owner here, and I can do so far I love it.
I had a quick question about securing the firearm for small gunsmith tasks.

I wanted to replace the factory brake, so I took it to a local gunsmith. He knocked it out while I waited, but all he did was throw the entire firearm into a rubber padded vice. He took the old one off and timed the new one this way with the shoulder ring.

To me it was a little concerning since the lower is polymer, and I saw the rifle flex back and forth a bit while he timed it. This bothered me since I just bought it. He at least held onto the barrel to help stabilize the platform some more, and explained that's what he does for scars.

I may be over thinking it, but it definitely didn't seem like the right way to stabilize a scar for attaching a muzzle device.

I'm looking at investing in some tools, so I can do future work myself.

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
I've always pulled the barrel to do muzzle device work on my SCARs. I then use a barrel vice block to secure it for removal, installation and torque.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah, not the right way, but it works. A barrel vice is best, but since most muzzle devices only need 20-25 ft.lbs of torque, it shouldn't hurt anything. The SCAR barrel is easy to clamp in a vise (using wood blocks or vise pads) with out removing the barrel too, since so much of the barrel is exposed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm used to the AR platform, and I think that gunsmith was as well. I'm looking forward to properly taking care of this rifle and having fun for years to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts