FN Herstal Firearms banner

Security Systems - Home Monitoring - Not Monthly Service - What is recommended?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JosephSlater007 
#1 ·
OK, I decided that I need a home security system but not an outside monitoring service like Brinks or something like that. Had that a couple of times and like the police, they are great for filling out reports but pretty useless for anything else except emptying you wallet on a monthly basis.

What I am looking for is a home day/night camera system and DVR with remote access. I would like from 4 to 6 to 8 cameras, so an 8 channel system is needed. I want day and night, around 70 to 100 feet for night vision cameras, high definition, not the cheap 1 MP or 2 MP cameras but something that can be used in the Florida heat/cold humidity that will last. Also anti tampering, so a wired system vs a wireless system is preferred.

Any of our members in the know about this type of system and what are the recommendations?

I have been looking for quite awhile and it is very difficult to determine what is garbage and what is not. What I do not want to do is spend $800 on a garbage system. I want something that will last and is worth the money.

#2 · (Edited)
Google ADI Global, I've had an account with them for 20+ years they are a wholesale distributor to the licensed trades. Anything I ever purchased or installed never let me down or lost me $. Search their website find what suits you then Google product for best price. Do not pass on wireless systems there is nothing wrong with them and save you the headache of running cables. The Key West Naval Base has a fine wireless video surveillance system and has worked flawlessly since 1999, I know I sold and installed it, for 3 million I can do the same for you. In any event most cameras these days that are UL listed for outdoor use will work fine in Florida and most now provide IR illumination. Do NOT skimp on your DVR and multiplexer, you can purchase combination units but separate components are my preference. Anything on ADI's will serve your purpose, good luck.

PS: A non-monitored system is as useful as tits on a bull. Most reputable companies will monitor customer installed systems, contrary to popular opinion ADT is a good monitoring firm. Oh and, make damn sure your systems 120v power source has quality UPS and surge protection. Nothing worse than a system that goes down when the power goes out.

One more thing, a good residential system will cost at least a few grand with the DVR costing the bulk of it unless you opt for camera housings on motorized mounts.

#3 ·
There is an ADI Global distributor just down the road from me a couple of miles. What is the minimum that I should be looking at as far as DVR and cameras? I like the high res 1080p and 4k systems. If wireless is good then I will reconsider it. This is for my home as security for my tools and other tools as well. I have had some items disappear while on vacation and I need to put a stop to it.

#4 ·
I'd first drop the want for hi-res, any decent camera will do fine. ADI generally does not sell to the public but, all they can do is say no. Walk in and ask them to assist with configuring a system for you, they're sales personnel are very knowledgeable. I would guesstimate $2-3k for a quality system. You can save money with fewer cameras with a wider FOV. Also check out Silmar or Graybar, again wholesale to trade but $ is $. You're a former contractor, talk the talk and they might sell to you.

#5 · (Edited)
I've got a friend who put one of these in a business. He liked it well enough to put the same system in his home. He's been pleased with it. I have a monitored alarm system and am considering a camera system as well that I can monitor myself. This one looks to do all I would need. Sam's Club had it a week or so ago for $549. Maybe worth a look.

For monitoring, we have used a local company that charges us $14.95/month. Have been with them over 15 years, in two businesses and our home, with zero complaints. I like dealing locally, and when I call about a failed sensor or any other issue, I like that a local guy I know comes out to fix it.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SDH-C75100-Channel-Security-Cameras/dp/B0163H24LQ

#6 · (Edited)
When installing a system like that you gotta make sure that all that data it records stays safe and is not used to work against you. I went through a training at Red Teaming | Fidus Information Security where I learned that often these cameras do more harm than good. I have also come across some articles which were telling stories about hackers remotely connecting to vulnerable systems like this one and extorting money through blackmailing. So, Before installing one make sure it's 100% safe

#7 ·
When installing a system like that you gotta make sure that all that data it records stays safe and is not used to work against you. I went through a training at Red Teaming | Fidus Information Security where I learned that often these cameras do more harm than good. I have also come across some articles which were telling stories about hackers remotely connecting to vulnerable systems like this one and extorting money through blackmailing. So, Before installing one make sure it's 100% safe
I hope it will be a good acquisition as my budget is limited

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.