FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am Self indulgent. Shortly after shot show , I saw pictures of the Magpul's Zhukov Furniture and was intrigued. Then about 3 moths ago I was standing at the local fun shop when one of the owners was placing an order with his whole saler , and asked his partner ,"Do we want any of the Plumb Zhukov Furniture?". I assured them that they did and about a week later the stock and the Handguard arrived. No Pistol grip. So I wound up ordering one from Magpul. I ordered it thinking I would put it on my AK74. But once I got everything together I simply couldn't make my self cut off the handguard retainer or the front sling loop, so I set it aside.
I was thinking about buying a Kit from and building something to put it on, then I began seeing various reviews , of the Century RAS 47. After viewing some online reviews that noted some QC issues (canted front sight, Some poor rivet work , and a rattling top cover) I priced one out and compared it to a kit with a barrel , then a receiver and The RAS47 came in at about $50 more than a kit for an assembled rifle.
I thought it through and figured that even if I had to fix all three problems noted It would still be less work that building out a kit, and I ordered it.
When it came I have to say I was shocked at how nice it is. If I had been taking it out of an Arsenal box I would not have been surprised at all, and the last time I saw wood this nice on an AK was when I bought a Krebs . Everything is straight and tight , rivet work is appears perfect. The finish is dark and uniform (how it will hold up only time will tell) As others have noted it does not have a cleaning rod or a bayo lug. So it is not a clone of anything. That said the rifle was nice enough that I thought about leaving it stock and set it aside for a couple days.
Then I rolled up my sleeves , grabbed a dremel and did the deeds.

An fun side fact is that Century guarantees that their nitrated barrel is concentric so as you can see I grabbed a YHM QD mount for my 30 cal Phantom and mounted it. Since the picture was taken I have added an Attero Bravo mount and a Primary Arms Micro Dot.
I have had experience with Century in the past that left me very leery. I am shocked at how nice this rifle is and if you are considering a custom build of some kind, and with the supply Saiga's drying up, I will tell you this rifle may be a very good choice for a base to start from.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Looks nice!

Have you had a chance to take it to the range yet?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Maaannnnn...that's a good lookin' AK. Thanks for posting your impression of it, and including the details of doubts and then pleasure...I think many of us wonder about the whole Century thing. I owned an L1a1 and a Cetme from Century. Neither one could fire a full mag without a malfunction. Then I owned a G3 with HK lower and HK bolt / carrier, that was imported by Century, and it never malfunctioned once over the course of I'd say 20,000 rounds thru it. (back when 7.62x.51 was .25 a round lol) I've had trouble bringing myself to buy the enemies choice of weapon, but I do respect it, and must admit, am considering a purchase. There's just really not much needed in the extra parts department. And that might 7.62x.39 round. I do worry about the availability of it with this Russian import ban...but nonetheless...I enjoyed your post and dig the picture. Thanks !

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have only fired it using , cheap tula ammo, while zeroing the red dot. it groups well with the cheap stuff. Interestingly enough there are a few reviews that claim sub minute of angle groups with higher end ammo.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Looks good!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts