FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and am excited to get as much info on the scar as possible and was wondering what sets the scar apart from say a piston ar15. I am in the market n for a piston rifle and am narrowing it down to a scar and lwrc. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am still drudging through the forum and getting lots of info but would like some real world user information please, Thanks E1...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The scar 16 is much more balanced, designed with a picton system from the ground up, is lighter, modular barrel assembly, mine functions 100% with a couple thousand rounds through it. I had a lwrc m6a2 and was not that impressed with it. Just my opinion but most people on this forum are going to lean towards the scar platform.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
What vertigosol says is true! Love the balanced, light, modular nature of the weapons platform. A soft shooter for sure. But you will enjoy it more and more each time you get to shoot it. And then you will buy a SCAR 17 next!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I own both a lmt mrp cqb piston and scar 16\17. The scar 16 tends to much much lighter than piston ar rifles. The FDE color is the best of course. Not much difference in price between premium piston rifles ex. lmt,pws, or lwrc. Barrel swaps are really easy on the scar and they suppress quite well. Only downfall is expensive\hard to find spare parts and limited aftermarket parts. If I had to sell one rifle it would be the lmt. The plus to the lmt is the factory barrels are quick change from 556 to 6.8 to 300blk. Just wish FN would release a factory 300 blk for the scar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually held one today at the local gun store and everything seemed great but I am having a hard time with that pencil barrel sticking out so far. I was actually thinking that I would like to have the 16" barrel chopped to 14.5 and have a 51t aac mount pin welded on it to make it look a little better.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
just SBR with the 10" barrel assembly!

I actually held one today at the local gun store and everything seemed great but I am having a hard time with that pencil barrel sticking out so far. I was actually thinking that I would like to have the 16" barrel chopped to 14.5 and have a 51t aac mount pin welded on it to make it look a little better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
fill out a form 1 and sbr the rifle . ATF eform 1 has only been taking about a month. If not 14.5 with pinned mount and an extended rail does look nice.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I agree, you can't go wrong either way 10" or 14.5" pinned - they both look and feel great and keep the balance of the weapons platform.

here is my 10" SBR
View attachment 34235

fill out a form 1 and sbr the rifle . ATF eform 1 has only been taking about a month. If not 14.5 with pinned mount and an extended rail does look nice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'll take velocity over looks any day. :) Seriously, though, there are a lot of little engineering details on the SCARs that I believe add up to a more reliable, robust system. At the end of the day it still does the same thing that an AR-15 does, sending lead and copper down range. But I like the engineering and quality of the SCARs. Worth the premium price in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,026 Posts
You all are killing me with the SBR's. Why did I **** up my Form 1? Come on, next month.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys. I checked with adco and it seems that with the brake, it will cost me around $300.00 to have it chopped to 14.5 and pin weld on a aac 51t flash hider. I wonder if I could order one from the factory through an fn le dealer already done up this way?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.