• Semi Auto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revolver

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Revolvers are great if you act in westerns, never run out of ammo or only have to reload during commercial breaks! :lol:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, some women can have a bear of a time working the slide.

1 method that helps is holding the slide over the top w/ 1 hand, and pushing the frame forward.

Some guns are easier to work (less spring pressure) than others.

I find my HK USPc somewhat easy to move. I've seen some people claim that their XD's are easy for their wife to move the slide on. Guess ya gotta check a few guns out to see which works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MY preference is semi autos.

However, I suggest revolvers to anyone who asks me what their first handgun should be for defense EVERYTIME.

I always suggest a .357 with a 4 inch barrel and lots of practice with .38s and .357s to n00bs and women alike.

That pistol is super accurate, any shooter can find a load that suits their situation. In a high stress, getting awaken at 4 am with an intruder in the house, adrenalin pumping, situation a n00b or a 90 pound woman can point that thing and put a bullet in an attacker. If a round misfires they don't have to clear their pistol, pull a slide, and reaquire a target that may be coming for them they simply squeeze again and again and keep the cylinder turning and firing until there is no longer a threat. PLUS you can get .357s with a seven shot capacity.

That is also why I carry a .38+P revolver as my back-up. If the occasion ever arrises that my primary carry fails I will be in a hurry and even more super stressed than if my primary had worked and I just want to be able to grab and squeeze.

So, my real answer is, BOTH.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I prefer semi autos because I first learned how to shoot them with my father's Ruger 5.5" bull barrel .22 auto when I was about 13 y/o.

A few years later, I started on .45 1911 Government and Gold Cup target models, at the same time I started with my Dad's .38/ .357 4" revolver but I didn't shoot it as well as with the semi auto pistols.

I have only one revolver now which is a S&W 686 4" SS Coast Guard model with round butt and I still shoot better with my other semi autos.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It depends on what the situation is. Combat - Colt 1911 .45acp, concealed Walther P99 9mm. At home I have an Uberti Colt 1872 open top with a 7" barrel in .44Colt hidden away for home defense. My wife knows how to use it, and if pointing that hog leg at an intruder don't intimidate them then one shot from that .44Colt should get their respect.

:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ship you need to add "C" Both I feel I am just as well gunned with my USG or my S&W 610 10mm (Double Tap 200XTP)
my Kimber elite or 4inch BRL. Super Black Hawk

OR even a alloy framed Colt Agent stoked with Corbon HP that seems to fall into my pocket from time to time

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
commander zippy said:
Ship you need to add "C" Both
Well, that would defeat the point of the poll :p :p :p

One can have a preference - but that doesn't mean U don't like the other choice. I was just curious - At handgun forum when I was there - there were quite a few die hard revolver guys there - and that was their thing. Just curious if we had any here...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts