FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the key to finding the date of manufacture for the FNX?
*Please only post if you have the key or part of the key e.g. year of manufacture for the FNX.
**Please post only information related to the question.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
The only "key" to the date of manufacture of FN weapons is the date on the fired shell casing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It is known that the serial numbers on FNH-USA pistols are sequential, however there is no way to correlate them to date of manufacture.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I worked for Harley Davidson and VOA and all serial numbers were required identify the origin of a vehicle and the key features with a check number to prevent fraud. This also applies to other industries that are subject to tight regulation like weapons. My FNX-9 serial number is: FX1U0xxxxx and I believe "FX" is FNX line or "F" is FN Company and "X" is FNX line, "1" is the year 2011, "U" is for USA and the rest is production number and check number or just the production number. I call the manufacture and got the run around but the guy confirmed the year based on the "1". Too bad Bob left.The reason I wanted to know is I had purchased the firearm but was in the waiting period and I had a chance to change pistols as I wanted the latest manufactured FNX-9 in the store and they had large inventory for a special sale the retailer was having they would not tell me due to security reasons.

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
I don't know how correct your information maight be. The Five Seven starting with the IOM in 2004 all start with 3861, that also carried over to the USGs. There are no letters on the IOM/USG, just numbers and the only date is on the fired casing bag.

I've asked Bob about the dates and he said he could only narrow it down some but not give the exact date. He said the closest he could advise is the casing date as after the pistol is test fired it is complete.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
But that is for a FiveseveN, not an FNX, which was started more recently. I understand wanting to carry a serial number over, and continue, but when you start something new, wouldn't you want to use a newer better system with is as well?

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
But that is for a FiveseveN, not an FNX, which was started more recently. I understand wanting to carry a serial number over, and continue, but when you start something new, wouldn't you want to use a newer better system with is as well?
As was stated by Blitz above:

"It is known that the serial numbers on FNH-USA pistols are sequential, however there is no way to correlate them to date of manufacture."

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
You'd make a great politician.
We've been trying to get the dates on FN weapons for a very long time. It ain't happening.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't know how correct your information maight be. The Five Seven starting with the IOM in 2004 all start with 3861, that also carried over to the USGs. There are no letters on the IOM/USG, just numbers and the only date is on the fired casing bag.

I've asked Bob about the dates and he said he could only narrow it down some but not give the exact date. He said the closest he could advise is the casing date as after the pistol is test fired it is complete.
Wow, the date on the fired casing bag with the new Five-seveN that I just got from Bud's was 11/25/09 - so it was obviously made more than 2 years ago! Either it's a long boat ride over here from Belgium or these things aren't exactly flying off the shelves! I guess most people buy Glocks for some reason.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So let us say a defect is found in the FNX-9 and FN USA has to do a recall. How would they be able to track the recall if the company does not know the date of manufacture, lot and components that were used in the firearm? On an H&K USP for example, you only need to look at the slide and read the year of manufacture date codes consisting of letters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So let us say a defect is found in the FNX-9 and FN USA has to do a recall. How would they be able to track the recall if the company does not know the date of manufacture, lot and components that were used in the firearm? On an H&K USP for example, you only need to look at the slide and read the year of manufacture date codes consisting of letters.
I'm sure that they could enter the serial number into their database and come up with that information.

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
Well by all mean call FN and ask them. See if they tell you anything different from what they've told us the thousand or so times we've asked in the last eight plus years.

Bob said no, and good luck getting any information from the new guys there.

·
Administrator
11,917 Posts
Well by all mean call FN and ask them. See if they tell you anything different from what they've told us the thousand or so times we've asked in the last eight plus years.

Bob said no, and good luck getting any information from the new guys there.
Some people just want to beat their heads against a concrete wall for some reason........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts