FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the trigger pack sticky, but without having the PS90 in front of me, I am trying to determine what gen pack it should have by the serial number. Does anyone know what gen this should be, FN0897XX? I am looking to purchase it, and I am just wondering for my own knowledge before. Its from a private owners wife who won't open it up.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I am trying to determine what gen pack it should have by the serial number
The only sure way is to look at the pack.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's like Christmas ya just don't know what you are going to get! At the least you'll get a *****n rifle!
i got my ps90 on a blind trade ended up being a gen1. Good luck role the dice!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
No way of telling by serial number.

Have to look at the hammer group.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
With such a high number I would think it would be a gen 3.
But as said ... Who knows. You could always ask the seller to confirm with a picture.
I have seen gen 2 from fn in OEM / stock config as high as x065....

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
With such a high number I would think it would be a gen 3.
But as said ... Who knows. You could always ask the seller to confirm with a picture.
I have seen gen 2 from fn in OEM / stock config as high as x065....
This would be my thinking, as well. The current SN range, on the last 30 I just got in, were in the 096XXX series.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I saw the trigger pack sticky, but without having the PS90 in front of me, I am trying to determine what gen pack it should have by the serial number. Does anyone know what gen this should be, FN0897XX? I am looking to purchase it, and I am just wondering for my own knowledge before. Its from a private owners wife who won't open it up.
Thanks
Like the others said above, it's not possible to know by the serial number if you will have a Gen II, III, or IV hammer pack.
Like mkj1 said above, you probably have a Gen III pack.

I bought mine earlier this month and upon field stripping my PS90 to do the initial cleaning and lube, I looked over my hammer pack and it is a Gen III.
I called FNH customer service and gave them my rifle's serial # and they informed me my rifle's birthday is 14 OCT 14, the very day it came off the assembly line and was put straight into the box. My SN is higher than yours, FN095###. And since it came with the Gen III hammer pack, I assume that FNH still has a good supply of Gen IIIs before they will switch to the Gen IV packs (if the Gen IV packs are not already being used for other rifles).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Good to know. I just didnt want a gen iv. So other than colors, what really makes tge gen 1 through 3 different? Why is the gen 1 pack so valuable?

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Ok. Good to know. I just didnt want a gen iv. So other than colors, what really makes tge gen 1 through 3 different? Why is the gen 1 pack so valuable?
All you need to know is in the sticky thread.

Reactions: mjk1

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All you need to know is in the sticky thread.
I am in the sticky....i see the explanation of how to determine the packs, ans all i see are color differences in the packs> so, what i am wondering, is what makes a gen 1 cost (normally) so much more than a gen 3? rarity? I don't see any thing different functionally or different parts.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I am in the sticky....i see the explanation of how to determine the packs, ans all i see are color differences in the packs> so, what i am wondering, is what makes a gen 1 cost (normally) so much more than a gen 3? rarity? I don't see any thing different functionally or different parts.
They all work the same.

Unless you are a SOT the Gen 1's and 2's won't help you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They all work the same.

Unless you are a SOT the Gen 1's and 2's won't help you.
i red the descriptions 30 times and just noticed that 1 and 2 have the semi auto sear....blended in when i read it:-x I figured fuction was the same, just wondering for a value. Its local, and it seems like a killer deal. Ps90, with the fn cmore sight, with a additional top rail, 5 50 round mags, 1 30 round mag, a crappy sighmark reflex sight, a urban ert sling, and 800 rounds of blue tip for 1300$. Can pass regardless of the gen.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bro, take my advise and if you are getting a banging price, buy it and then get the hammer group from Mike.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
i red the descriptions 30 times and just noticed that 1 and 2 have the semi auto sear.
That is not a semi-auto sear.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Meant the semi sear, thats not present. I missed that.
Then you are not talking about a Gen 1 or Gen 2, and once again it's not a semi-auto sear. You need to go back and read some more.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
:smile:
i red the descriptions 30 times and just noticed that 1 and 2 have the semi auto sear....blended in when i read it:-x I figured fuction was the same, just wondering for a value. Its local, and it seems like a killer deal. Ps90, with the fn cmore sight, with a additional top rail, 5 50 round mags, 1 30 round mag, a crappy sighmark reflex sight, a urban ert sling, and 800 rounds of blue tip for 1300$. Can pass regardless of the gen.
If the red dot and mount is not your thing send me a pm and I would be more than happy to buy it off you for a good price

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then you are not talking about a Gen 1 or Gen 2, and once again it's not a semi-auto sear. You need to go back and read some more.
Then please explain why it says semi sear on gen 1 and 2

Gen 1: Black pack body, black hammer, OD green semi sear, auto sear present.
Gen 2: Gray pack body, black hammer, OD green or gray semi sear, auto sear present.
Gen 3: Gray pack body, gray or white hammer, gray sear, auto sear present.
Gen 4: Gray pack body, black, gray, or white hammer, gray sear, no auto sear. (As JHS mentioned, the hammer in a Gen 4 may actually be black but the defining characteristic is that there is no auto sear.)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts