FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had long discussion with a gentlemen I've known for many years.

He stated the following:

"I bought a PS90 and blew the barrel out shooting the 192 in rapid fire
after 100rds, the barrel bulged badly, he sent it back, and then blew out the replacement barrel just the same, finally the FN distributor sent him a Black (rare at the time), and he blew the barrel out just the same way, finally the distributor in Missouri (I live IN FLA), gave him all his money back, with the agreement that he would not share this problem with anyone, he was told that the lower pressure 197 blue tip ammo would not cause a problem, however the PS90 cannot handle the Higher pressure rounds made for the P90, he also told me that the entire gun except for the stock is made in Missouri, and it is a piece of junk.
This is after I bought my PS90 green with the secret service sight, he told me to get rid of it, that it is just a unreliable pile of junk that looks cool,
I know this guy very well, and he has some distribution level connections
so I'm not totally discounting his statements.

Someone that really knows the weapon, and I mean knows the weapon please make me feel better about my $2000+ purchase (weapon and accessories), where is this weapon made?, is it reliable or just another hi tech pile of junk?, how is the barrel constructed, chrome lined etc. etc. someone please help.

Thank You.
Gunner77 in FLA

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Sorry - but this post is the only time I have heard any owner reallyc liam the gun is junk. I don't believe it.

I read a post recently of someone getting a squib from a bad 5-7 ammo round - and he is sending his gun in for them to look at. But, that's not the same thing as what U are describing above.

I'm not worried - the design has been around over 10 years now in the form of the short barrel P90.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShipWreck said:
Sorry - but this post is the only time I have heard any owner reallyc liam the gun is junk. I don't believe it.

I read a post recently of someone getting a squib from a bad 5-7 ammo round - and he is sending his gun in for them to look at. But, that's not the same thing as what U are describing above.

I'm not worried - the design has been around over 10 years now in the form of the short barrel P90.
I appreciate the response, however the P90 and the PS90 are not the same weapon, I need tech info on the PS90 not the P90.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know the weapon fairly well, I have shot several thousands of rounds(ss192, ss195, ss197) out of the long barrel, and the short barrel, I never had an issue with my barrels. Although, I have heard of barrels bulging if there is water or some other sort of moisture or excess lubricant in the barrel.

I don't know anything other details that have been in your post, but I would guess that there may have been some sort of foreign substances in the barrel that may have produced those results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fn_ps90 said:
I know the weapon fairly well, I have shot several thousands of rounds(ss192, ss195, ss197) out of the long barrel, and the short barrel, I never had an issue with my barrels. Although, I have heard of barrels bulging if there is water or some other sort of moisture or excess lubricant in the barrel.

I don't know anything other details that have been in your post, but I would guess that there may have been some sort of foreign substances in the barrel that may have produced those results.
So this more info on barrels bulging? HMMM
Did you radid fire the 192 ammo out of the "longer barrel" ?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gunner77 said:
Fn_ps90 said:

Thanks
I rapid fire at least a few mags every range trip.

Just about anything can cause a barrel bulge, part of a torn cleaning patch, water, lubricant, even an insect that has crawled in the barrel could possibly cause barrel damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fn_ps90 said:
Gunner77 said:
Fn_ps90 said:

Thanks
Thanks for the range report, do you know anything about the barrel,
who makes it? Is it hammer forged chrome lined? I guess I need to feel good about my purchase before I start putting hundreds of rounds down
range, Thanks Much for any info.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
It is chrome lined.

There are some members here with some serious round counts. I really think this is much ado about nothing - go have fun with your gun :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gunner77 said:
Fn_ps90 said:
Gunner77 said:
Fn_ps90 said:

Thanks
Thanks for the range report, do you know anything about the barrel,
who makes it? Is it hammer forged chrome lined? I guess I need to feel good about my purchase before I start putting hundreds of rounds down
range, Thanks Much for any info.
FN's barrels are hard chrome lined, not "soft" chrome lined like on an AR or M-16 barrel, that is why it is not recommended to cut down an existing long barrel to make a short barrel, but some have done it with success, so far.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am another member with a serious round count.
And I have seen bulging!
One of my PS90s developed a small bulge after ~ 2000 rounds of SS195 and another bulge ~300 rounds later. I'm still getting excellent groups out of that barrel, however I intend on replacing it with an SBR.

I'm sure it wasn't a cleaning rag, or moisture, that caused the bulge(s). A bug in the barrel? Not literally, I don't think. But I suppose it's possible.

Any way, there may be some truth to the above claims. However, I don't believe the part where the customer was told to keep this issue to himself.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Fn_ps90 said:
FN's barrels are hard chrome lined, not "soft" chrome lined like on an AR or M-16 barrel
+1

According to FN :
The plating process FN uses is a "hard chrome" plating instead of a "soft chrome"
plating. All M-240, M-249, P-90/PS-90, FsN, F-2000/FS-2000 and SPR firearms have the same hammer forged, hard chrome plated barrel process. This is to ensure barrel life rather than to prevent corrosion. The reason the barrels are so accurate is because the inside rifling contour is much smoother and precise than a button cut barrel and it does not need to be straightened. This process is very expensive from a machinery point of view and most smaller companies cannot afford to do it.

Don't confuse the soft chrome process of the M-16/AR-15 with the other. They are two very different products. Also, most soft chrome plated barrels are button cut which is not as smooth as a hammer forged barrel to apply plating to and the plating is there to keep the bore from rusting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fn_ps90 said:
Just about anything can cause a barrel bulge, part of a torn cleaning patch, water, lubricant, even an insect that has crawled in the barrel could possibly cause barrel damage.
I think it is important to note that, that is true for every gun. Not just the PS90. If you are shooting with an obstructed barrel I hope you have good luck because that is dangerous.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Promoted Pawn said:
And I have seen bulging!
One of my PS90s developed a small bulge after ~ 2000 rounds of SS195 and another bulge ~300 rounds later. I'm still getting excellent groups out of that barrel, however I intend on replacing it with an SBR.

I'm sure it wasn't a cleaning rag, or moisture, that caused the bulge(s). A bug in the barrel? Not literally, I don't think. But I suppose it's possible.

Any way, there may be some truth to the above claims. However, I don't believe the part where the customer was told to keep this issue to himself.
With the sleeve, how have U been able to tell?

·
Registered
36 Posts
finally the distributor in Missouri (I live IN FLA), gave him all his money back, with the agreement that he would not share this problem with anyone,
finally the FN distributor sent him a Black (rare at the time), and he blew the barrel out just the same way,
Not buying that at all. I'm sorry, but your "friend" lied to you for whatever reason. That just doesn't sell.

The black and green rifles are the same other than plastic color. Your friend is somehow indicating there is a difference in the rifles, another indicator he has no idea what he is talking about.

If your entire worry about purchasing a PS90 is because of what this one guy told you then frankly you shouldn't buy one. Go buy whatever it is he was recommending.

You didn't include that but I'd be willing to bet that somewhere in the conversation he told you exactly what you SHOULD get didn't he?[/quote]

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did hear on the 'net that the barrels are made in China and are designed to be very soft so they bend and don't shatter as many other less expensive guns do, on a daily basis. The best thing to do is hammer the barrel shroud very tightly around the barrel, so as to support the barrel. That should take care of it. :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Promoted Pawn said:
And I have seen bulging!

With the sleeve, how have U been able to tell?
You can see it when you look down the bore, and you can really feel the loose spots (bulges) when you are running patches or a brush through.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
So, if we avoid 192, nothing to worry about?

Just shoot 197 with lower pressure?

I am not sure if I buy this, but promoted pawn is mentioning it too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The story seems to have some sensationalizing to it so I'm not quite certain whether it's designed to promote hostile debate. Non-Disclosure Agreements are pretty much the standard for all settlements of claims. My friend had a car damaged in an underground parking lot when a water line burst. He never sued but the operators of the lot paid for his damage and he had to sign an agreement not to name them in a negative fashion nor reveal all the details of the settlement.

Of course, creating a bulge in a barrel is possible, but my money would be on either a problem with the metal used for a batch of barrels or more likely an issue having to do with the operator (i.e. poor or improper maintenance practices). I'm not pointing a finger at "promoted pawn" but this anonymous friend who supposedly went through three rifle barrels definitely seems like the culprit in his own problems with the firearm. If it was broken plastic or a series of different problems, I'd have no problem thinking it was a FN Quality Control issue. However, since this anonymous friend was able to replicate the same problem with three rifle barrels that indicates to me that he is doing something wrong and managed to destroy three barrels.

Obviously without more info, it's just a guess, but if this was a real problem with the design we'd be seeing widespread reporting of the issue. Remember when the FS2000 came out with the wrong firing pin and caused occasional burst fire... There were only 500 or so rifles out there with this issue yet it was all over the place and FN was on top of fixing it.

Just my two cents...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts