FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, looking for some feedback from the gents that have all the great glass and or have used these two optics. I'm torn; Z6i or MK8? And why? I'm really close to giving in and just getting one, but I think what's holding me back is that I can't decide which would be better. I need something for shooting between 0-500 as well as hunting that I can run on my 17 or 16. The T1 didn't fair so well at getting me hogs/doe last year. :mrgreen: and, I really want to keep the ability to run an optic like a red dot. So anything that's not a 1 or 1.1x is out. :-o whatcha think guys?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Year before last I used a trijicon tr20g which is the accupoint mildot 3-9x. It was a decent enough optic for static deer hunting. Not good enough for hogging. This year I was stuck using my mosin 91/30 sniper due to my lower parts being off at handl with the lower... again good enough for static deer so so hogs. The 3-9 isgoing either to my 45-70 or 458winmag

This year I'm going to be using a tr24g 1-4x on the hoggies and a nightforce 2.5-10x for deer. Both on adm mounts which will swap on and off zero poi shift. So I would say get the optic you want for deer and a quick red dot for the hoggies put em both on qd mounts and swap as needed. I like the extra magnification for inspecting deer to pick the right one.

I don't think there is a really good all in one optic. This is just my opinion and I'm hardly an optic expert and proven to make poor buying decision :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Never seen the Mark 8 in person. The Swaro is sick glass, but the reticle is small and you will have to do some work finding holdovers for yardage. I've hunted with my Elcan for years on the 16 and its great out to about 300 yards. My son and brother both took deer using my 17 with a cheap Primary Arms 1-6 this year. I've since upgraded to a Nightforce with offset aimpoint. I got tired of trying to find the perfect 1-x solution. I don't know anything about optics engineering, but it must be giant pain to start at 1x.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Do you really need the extra 2x on the Mk8? That's a lot of unnecessary bulk, weight and (most of all) expense if not. The VCOG's are on their way to dealers and will be available by the end of this month. I'd strongly suggest waiting to see the consumer reviews on them. I was very impressed with the one I handled and it may be replacing my Leupold when the time comes. Either way, that's a lot of dosh to be throwing at glass. If your primary target is feral hogs, that same amount would net you some pretty sweet Gen3 NOD's with enough left over for a good class 1 IR laser. Just something else to consider. ;)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always appreciate your insight Kalmar! I didnt realize the VCOGs were so close to release. Might have to hold out and check those out. Lemme borrow your NOD and PEQ so I can test it out and then make a decision :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Always appreciate your insight Kalmar! I didnt realize the VCOGs were so close to release. Might have to hold out and check those out. Lemme borrow your NOD and PEQ so I can test it out and then make a decision :mrgreen:
Oh Sh!t.:p

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Kev, the VCOG's are now showing up as "in-stock" on more and more sites. Me, I'm waiting for real world reviews and the price to stabilize or a really good sale then a VCOG will be mine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can't commEnt on actuaLly owning either, though I CAN say that I've dinked around with the Swaro and it was pretty nice on 1x. Can't help but feel like there's some other option you aren't considering...

Oh well, it's probably nothing :wink:

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't commEnt on actuaLly owning either, though I CAN say that I've dinked around with the Swaro and it was pretty nice on 1x. Can't help but feel like there's some other option you aren't considering...

Oh well, it's probably nothing :wink:
Kev, the VCOG's are now showing up as "in-stock" on more and more sites. Me, I'm waiting for real world reviews and the price to stabilize or a really good sale then a VCOG will be mine.
This is precisely the issue! Tooooo many choices. :-D elcan, vcog, etc... First world problems.

·
Banned
596 Posts
My favorite long distance scope is my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 HS Zero Stop & MOAR reticle...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well Kev - you already know I've dropped some crazy coin on glass, but I really don't think you know How much. I've owned the Z6i 2.5-15x56, (3ea) NXS 2.5-10s, SBs, Swars, Trijs, ....You Name it. (seriously!!) You have to test them all, add up obviously glass, engineering, durability, warranty, user friendliness, est.... and in All Seriousness - - Screw the Cost! If it is what comes out on top and it is what works for you both physically and ease of use, mentally (knowing you can bet your life on it).... where the hell does cost play in there?? I'm being truthful here. Where? Hell, most of all the scopes I just listed were all gathering dust in the safe. I sold the Z6s for an engineering reason, (contrast / robbing peter to pay paul thing in brightness. edge fringe,...). The NXSs I'm down to one left and it's going bye bye too. Bottom line - you know already what I went with and it wasn't from prejudice - I've ran them all, owned them all. I made my choice. Now there, you have my two cents. As for why did the Mark 8 go with 1.1 and not a true 1x.?? Simple, engineering / human optical Dr. testing tests proved that running and gunning with both eyes open allows human vision center of the brain to pull into a higher concentration mode the objects that are barely magnified over being equal with the other side of the vision input. Higher count and quicker response time by going to an almost indistinguishable .1 higher magnification to the shooter eye.
And PS Ken - the H27D is all that you think it is. (IMHO)

Have a blessed day my friend!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well Kev - you already know I've dropped some crazy coin on glass, but I really don't think you know How much. I've owned the Z6i 2.5-15x56, (3ea) NXS 2.5-10s, SBs, Swars, Trijs, ....You Name it. (seriously!!) You have to test them all, add up obviously glass, engineering, durability, warranty, user friendliness, est.... and in All Seriousness - - Screw the Cost! If it is what comes out on top and it is what works for you both physically and ease of use, mentally (knowing you can bet your life on it).... where the hell does cost play in there?? I'm being truthful here. Where? Hell, most of all the scopes I just listed were all gathering dust in the safe. I sold the Z6s for an engineering reason, (contrast / robbing peter to pay paul thing in brightness. edge fringe,...). The NXSs I'm down to one left and it's going bye bye too. Bottom line - you know already what I went with and it wasn't from prejudice - I've ran them all, owned them all. I made my choice. Now there, you have my two cents. As for why did the Mark 8 go with 1.1 and not a true 1x.?? Simple, engineering / human optical Dr. testing tests proved that running and gunning with both eyes open allows human vision center of the brain to pull into a higher concentration mode the objects that are barely magnified over being equal with the other side of the vision input. Higher count and quicker response time by going to an almost indistinguishable .1 higher magnification to the shooter eye.
And PS Ken - the H27D is all that you think it is. (IMHO)

Have a blessed day my friend!!
Well hell... that even sold me. Think you've got your answer, sir.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yup lefty sold me too, that and the possibility Kev doesn't like it and I get to buy it for a reduced rate in the next year or so. :?

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup lefty sold me too, that and the possibility Kev doesn't like it and I get to buy it for a reduced rate in the next year or so. :?
Sounds about right! My lady last night was telling me that she wishes I still had that MK4. I told her should could have bought it from me. :-D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts