FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I, as a newbie, missing something? I was on the 2nd page of this sub-forum and noticed that the discussion was from 2018. I didn't wish to unknowingly resurrect a dead thread.

Are there really that few active reloaders on this forum?

I'm not trying to be critical, just surprised!

Cheers!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Only you can make it happen. Clean some brass with me in the other active topic on this subforum

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I reload but just haven't had anything of interest to actually make a thread about.
Scored a hell of a deal early last year on some components....was psyched about that. 800 pieces of new Win 44 Mag brass for $20. 37 100 count boxes of Hornady 30 cal spire point hunting bullets for $8 a box.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Am I, as a newbie, missing something? I was on the 2nd page of this sub-forum and noticed that the discussion was from 2018. I didn't wish to unknowingly resurrect a dead thread.

Are there really that few active reloaders on this forum?

I'm not trying to be critical, just surprised!

Cheers!
You are not alone... :)

I only load for precision rifle, at the moment, but intend to get around to handgun rounds. Sooner the better.

And, I am going to be reloading for the SCAR's... 17, 20S in 6,5 and 7,62... just to see what they can do.

Come on now, you started this, so... What do you reload?

Below:
6,5 ready to go... and already gone :cry:... Got to prep and reload soon for the next comp... :rolleyes:
250 brass cases of 7,62/308 prepped for the SCAR's (y), waiting for the 185 Gr Berger Juggernauts to arrive :D
I need more brass and bullets!!! :rolleyes:
RE 1.jpg

RE 2.jpg

RE 4.jpg

RE 5.jpg

·
Registered
982 Posts
the forum is comparatively quiet in all the sections. there aren't even that many lurkers (that read but don't post).
this is unfortunate since some of you might be reloading for your FN and of course this isn't as common as 9mm...

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
718 Posts
this is unfortunate since some of you might be reloading for your FN and of course this isn't as common as 9mm...
Oh I load for my FN. 460 Rowland for the FNX45!

Would be doing 5.7 and posting it here but my dies have been on order for months

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was doing some reloading for the FNS .40's awhile back but never found anything that made the darn things shoot groups good enough to suit me. If I had I'd have posted some info on that.

I reload for other pistols/rifles (trying to find something that shoots good enough to suit me in an M&P 5" FDE 9MM now and not finding anything). I will be working on some 124 grain 9MM loads for the CZ pistols at some point. And maybe some 180 grain loads for the CZ .40's.

I've been reloading for over 40 years. Seen some weird stuff (unexpected, maybe, more than weird). Some of it specific to gun make/model that wouldn't really apply here on an FN forum. Don't have any FN rifles and probably never will. Too cheap to spend that kind of money on a rifle, but I do reload .223 and .308. Just not for FN rifles.

I've got two or three models of single stage presses and one Lee turret press that I use as a single stage press. Really like it as it speeds up my process (which uses lots of visual inspections). Use Lee hand primers and not very happy with any of the last couple of models of those. Used the old round tray ones for years with no issues. The square tray model that replaced it has problems and the triangular tray model that replaced it is even worse. I'm on the verge (soon) of trying a different brand. I've got multiple brands of dies. Cheap (FA) vibratory brass cleaners and a Harbor Freight rock polisher I use for wet cleaning of brass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow! Thanks for the (virtual) myriad of replies!

In no special order...

A comment: I've found the RCBS Universal Hand Primer to be excellent. Main reason: no need for shell holders. I have a Hornady hand primer that I typically use for large primers and it's a pain in the you-know-where.

An answer (or two?): Been reloading for only about 4 years now. When I 1st got involved is was for a couple pistol calibers and then just took off! I load now for basically everything I own (except 22lr & 22wmr, of course) and for some close friends. 380acp, 9mm, 38 Special/357 Mag, 9x18 Mak, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45acp, 45 Colt, 44 Special/44 Mag in pistols. And in the long guns, .223/5.56, 7×57, 30-30, 270 WIN & .308/7.62.

LEE & RCBS for presses, Ohaus & RCBS for balance beam scales, a Hornady Auto-Charge & a Lyman #55 and a small digital scale for doublechecking the LEE dippers! Mostly Hornady reloading dies, some from RCBS & LEE, but their FCDs, both carbide & collet-style are a must, IMHO.

Well, enough about me... For now, anyway!

Cheers!

P.S. I swear by my Thumlers, but still use the trusty Frankford Arsenal vibrator when things need to be shiney and bright!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reload but just haven't had anything of interest to actually make a thread about.
Scored a hell of a deal early last year on some components....was psyched about that. 800 pieces of new Win 44 Mag brass for $20. 37 100 count boxes of Hornady 30 cal spire point hunting bullets for $8 a box.
Uh, if you ever wish to part with some (how many LIFETIMES worth?) of that old 44 Magnum brass...

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Got to hit the 6,5 reloading this weekend, ready for the first match of the year. It's time.

One thing I did which totally transformed my round consistency when it comes to velocity, ES and SD, was to invest in an extremely accurate (read expensive) scale... and it really does pay dividends down range. I have a Sartorius Entris 64-1S. Initially, expensive as F, but when I consider the number of rounds I've reloaded with it, it was not that bad and the more I use it, the cheaper it gets, cost per round wise.

20210104_203421.jpg

Late last year, I did a Ladder (Powder Load) Test and Bullet Seating Depth Test.

With just a .2 Grain difference between loads the results were pretty eye opening, even at 100 yards. Only shot 2 of each, as the intention was to chrono each load, rather than see how things grouped. However, the visible results confirmed the chrono consistency.

OLR LADDER TEST.jpg

Bullet Seating Depth (CBTO) results were also interesting. Only did 3 shot groups, until I got a spec that gave good results, then went back to reconfirm. Apart from were I shot the wrong target (2.2735, shot the one above), and where I aimed at the POI, instead of the actual cross hair (2.3050), the group spread with just 3 Thousands difference in seating depth was pretty startling.

OLR SEATING DEPTH TEST.jpg

Now, to load for the 20S 6,5 and the 7,62 1 in 10 twist... The Berger 185 Grain Juggernauts arrived today... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts