FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting one of those, a Beretta PX4 Storm, a Taurus 24/7 Pro, or an FNP-9 which has recently piqued my interest.

The Taurus feels great in hand and the price is significantly lower than the others.

I have a Cougar, the predecessor to the Storm, and I love it. So the idea of a lighter version with more capacity and accessory options is inviting - but then again I already have the Cougar so why get "another?"

I recently picked up my first FNH firearm, the Five-seveN - which is a blast! I'm sold on FN and looking at the FNP-9...it seems to call at me.

I've been interested in the Walther P99 for awhile now, but the higher price and the fact that I own a Walther P-22 has held me back. The P-22 is fun but finicky - and a pain to take down especially when compared to other firearms. So I'm concerned that some of that carries over to the P99. Tell me what makes the P99 your favorite and how does it compare to the FNP-9?

Happy to hear from others with experience on any of these pistols as well!

·
Registered
114 Posts
personally, i really really really dislike the P99 (and kid brother P22), it just doesnt fit my hand right, regardless of backstraps and i just cant get it to group as it should.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well, I'll get into some details about the gun in a second - but honestly - I shoot the P99 A/S better than any gun I've ever shot. I shoot it better than a 1911, in fact... I've owned 5 1911s over the years. My last 2 was when I had my P99. I was irritated to find that even after spending $1200 on a 1911, I STILL was better with my P99.

I avoided the P99 for years because it was the new "Bond" gun, and I don't care for James Bond or Pierce Brosnan. But, in 2005, I got tired of always shooting low and to the left with every Glock I'd owned, and I had owned a Glock 26 for 8 years. When I discovered that the P99 also had a tennifer finish, I got interested in them. Then, I found out that my local range had a SW99 to rent - the S&W clone of the P99.

I rented it and shot it. I was amazed by the accuracy, but the mag release took a little time to get used to. I was still trying to use my thumb, so I didn't totally like the gun the first time. As I checked the gun back in, the guy who runs the range showed me that if you use your trigger finger, it works great.

I rented the gun 2 more times and then decided that I had to have one. Finding a P99 A/S at the end of 2005 was tough, however - Walther USA has stopped importing the A/S at the end of 2005, and was only importing QA models. So, I had to settle on a SW99. I then got a P99 A/S COMPACT, and sold my Glock 26. And, in the spring of 2006, I FINALLY got my P99 A/S fullsize.

Over time, I much preferred the Walther P99 to the S&W clone, and I finally sold the S&W about 2 months ago - mainly because whenever I have a duplicate of a gun, I never use the second one.

Anyway - some features I love about the P99 is the user replacable sights. U can drift the rear sight left and right with a screwdriver, and U can change out the front sight on your own as well - it comes with 4 different height sights. Also, if U want to put night sights on the gun, the user can do this. No gunsmith required for any of that.

Also, the ergonomics of the P99 is the best I've ever felt. And now that I am used to the mag release, i prefer this to a normal "button" release - it's easier and requires no shift in the grip. I've very used to it now, since I own the compact and fullsize P99s as well as an HK USPc that has a similarly styled mag release.

I hard chromed my P99 compact to make it holster wear proof (even a Glock will get holster wear after a few months of daily holster carry). I liked the look so much that I did the same to my fullsize P99.

I do not care for the P99 QA trigger - as it is a bit too heavy IMHO. But the A/S trigger is great - especially when in Single Action mode. After the gun's trigger has been smoothed out at around 500 rounds, the break on it is fantastic. I now compare all triggers to it when I shoot a new gun.

I've gotten 15-16 people to buy P99s since last Nov - 2 in person by shooting my gun (both got one within a week of trying mine), and all the rest are people online that see me endlessly talking about the gun. Most of those took a chance and bought one without ever trying the gun. No one regretted it.

The A/S model can be a bit harder to find - but I tend to always see at least one at a Texas gunshow. Also, I think the 40 cal version has too much recoil. And, the gun was originally designed to be a 9mm gun. So, I'd stick with the 9mm. Had I discovered the 40 cal version first, I do not think I would have liked it as much...

Here is a pic of my hard chromed guns... As I said a minute ago - I did sell the SW99 - mainly to finish paying off my FN Five Seven. But, I'll never get rid of the Walthers....

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Oh, be aware that the P22 and the P99 should not be compared at ALL. The P22 is actually contracted out to another company. And, it is a rather cheaply made gun, quality wise - at least in my opinion (most 22's don't compare to larger, more expensive guns when it comes to quality).

The P99 doesn't have any reliability problems, and it's made a lot better. So, don't compare the P22 to it and think that this is how all Walthers are made.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
SuA said:
personally, i really really really dislike the P99 (and kid brother P22), it just doesnt fit my hand right, regardless of backstraps and i just cant get it to group as it should.
One of the few I have ever heard say this - but, that's fine too... That's why there are so many brands of guns. Something for everyone. The world would be boring if we all liked the same things...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
My P99 fits my hand a little better than the FNP, but I like the slide release better on the FNP. Both are easy to take down and clean. If you decide to go the FNP route you may want to consider a Browning Pro9, I think they are being discontinued and that should help with its value later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info ShipWreck. I'm going to have to see if a local range has one for rent and check it out.

Texas Armadillo, where can I get info on the Browning Pro9? Nothing on it at the Browning web site :( Are they just a Browning labeled FNP?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
FNMAN here stated that Browning is discontinuing them in the US and FN will be the sole seller of that design.

But yes - it is basically a rebadged FN. The Browning version allows for cocked and locked, but only comes with 2 mags. The FN has 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright ShipWreck,

Your evil persuasion and tantalizing pics have convinced me to become the newest member of the P-99 club :D

I just bought a P-99 AS - slightly used for $455 - Wanted to fire one first but I don't know if I could find one at that price again.

I'm STILL planning on picking up an FNP-9 as well. Man this hobby is getting expensive. :cry:

Have you found the P-99C more difficult to control than the full size version?

Also, is there a Walther Forum that you suggest for more info on the P-99?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
predecessor said:
Alright ShipWreck,

Your evil persuasion and tantalizing pics have convinced me to become the newest member of the P-99 club :D

I just bought a P-99 AS - slightly used for $455 - Wanted to fire one first but I don't know if I could find one at that price again.

I'm STILL planning on picking up an FNP-9 as well. Man this hobby is getting expensive. :cry:

Have you found the P-99C more difficult to control than the full size version?

Also, is there a Walther Forum that you suggest for more info on the P-99?
I don't find the P99c difficult to control. I just tend to shoot fullsize weapons better at longer distances. So, while I shoot my fullsize P99 better than anything else, the P99c shoots better for my than another compact gun I had for 8 years - the Glock 26. I shoot the P99c so much better that I sold the Glock 26 (this was in 2005)

Congrats on the P99!

As for the Walther Forum, go here:

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/

I am actually a sponsoring member there -as the site was so valuable to me when I first got into P99s...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, just shot my newly acquired P-99.

I now know why all the hype for this pistol. Very nice shooter! What I now judge all polymer guns against.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts