FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went shooting today - Took the Five Seven and the PS90 and met up with BowevelJoe - he wanted to try both out before deciding to buy either. I was fortunate to have someone be nice enough to do that 1 year ago, so I thought passing on the Karma was fair. He paid for his own ammo and was even nice enough to give me a bottle of Breakfree CLP for the trouble.

I had a good time - I assume he did. After he left and I kept shooting, I notice that my optic rail screws had worked their way loose - that's what a year of shooting will do. I thread locked them last Dec, but apparently didn't put enough on.

After BowevelJoe left, I shot some, and wondered why my groups were getting messed up. I then noticed the rattle. I tightened them down and things went back to normal. But now that I am home, I took the screws out and put more threadlocker on them. Now, I gotta probably hit the range again to fine tune the eotech - but it should still be pretty closly zeroed... Just a bit irritating, though...

Since I have the Magazine Parts extended rails on the side, I had to take 1 side rail off to get to one of the optic rails crews... Hopefully, it won't happen again...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yesiree, we shot up the range, down the range, at some guys car we did not know, and any small animals that happened to be in the area.

Not really...

I have to say, besides the Five seveN being a very wicked looking pistol the recoil was next to nothing at all. I was shocked. The first round I figured this must be a joke, there is no way a bullet just came out of this thing. The second round, yeah, this thing really just has next to no recoil whatsoever.

The only gun I own is a 9mm, and the FiveseveN easily has half the recoil I feel in my Sig P226. I shot pretty crappily with it because I am not experianced with shooting in general, but from what I saw I could tell that with a little more practice I could shoot it very accurately, pretty quickly, because of the small recoil.

The PS90. The star of the show. So ugly its beautiful in some strange way. I have held it before at a local store but never anything more.

The first thing that struck me about this was how loud it was. When Ship was shooting this thing a couple yards away I was carrying on a cell phone conversation and the person on the other end did not even hear it.

The next thing I found cool was how the brass just drops out of the bottom. No flinging and flanging it here and there and everywhere. This thing just drops it out the bottom like tiny brass turds. Very nice.

The next thing I found cool was my first experiance with an EoTech scope. Weird stuff. I would turn my head around and the hologram would swim around in the scope. I found it pretty cool. It helped me get on the paper but Ship told me that it was not zeroed by any means so to not expect any miracles. In my heart of hearts I think I did. But not really. :)

I shot some pretty crappy groups with the PS90 as well, but I kept it on the paper for the most part. I shot it standing up, on sand bags, kneeling, and while underwater while weaving a basket at the same time.

This weapon would be an exceptionally deadly tool as a self defense weapon. If someone broke into my house and I had the FN PS90 in my hands they would have 50 rounds of fun frangible ammo in them.

I am very impressed with both of these weapons and am very thankful the Man, the Mod, Mr. Shipwreck was nice enough to let me try out these weapons out of the goodness of his heart. It was a kick ass way to start the day. I was almost late to my exam, but this was so worth it :)

Now I just need to come up with over $2,000 to make these two weapons part of my family of one (Sig P226) :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I had a good time - and, I appreciate you giving me that bottle of Breakfree CLP.

I was actually out there until a bit after 2:30pm. We got there at 9:45am. So, it was a long day :?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it was zeroed - but it was zeroed from my last trip. I need to hit the range on a non windy day (then, just keep that zero) - I keep getting there on windy days, so I make minor adjustments to the Eotch. I got it very close to where it needed to be, then let him shoot it.

The problem was we were getting huge gusts, and there is no way to account for that.

The wind actually died down after he left, and I got some really good groups.

·
Registered
114 Posts
BowevelJoe, dont worry, nearly everyone shoots crappily with a FsN the first time. you have to get used to it first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive been getting in the habit lately of putting witness marks on my screws.....( been doing it on my ARs for a while now).....I marked the usg's windage and elevation screws to visually verify if the screws are starting to back out. So far so good. :?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
"Dalieo" Ive been getting in the habit lately of putting witness marks on my screws.....( been doing it on my ARs for a while now).....I marked the usg's windage and elevation screws to visually verify if the screws are starting to back out. So far so good. :?
Good idea, thanx.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I brought my PS90 out to the range briefly late yesterday afternoon.

Since I had removed my optic rail completely - to re-threadlock the screws and remount it after the last trip.

FINALLY a day with no wind blowing.... I sighted it in quickly and got some really good groups. Now, I'll just leave the zero where it is even if it's off on other days where the wind is blowing. In the past, I've always tinkered with the zero a bit. I have rarely hit a day with no wind...

I wanted to save the targets, but the rifle range was so busy I couldn't go down at the end and get them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts