FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying with the idea of shooting at metal plate so I could hopefully hear my "good" shots. Using the PS90 with SS197, what would be a minimum safe distance from the plate to stand, to avoid the danger of getting hit by a ricochet?

Any idea as to what type of metal and thickness to get? Do I want standard steel plate, or maybe diamond plate or what?

When shooting at plate material, do I want a thinner material so the bullet penetrates, or do I want thicker so it bounces/falls.

Since I've never shot this way before, let me ask if it would even be possible to hear the clang of the impact over the report from the gun while wearing typical shooter's ear muffs.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would hang the plate, or fix it so the shots are angled into the ground.
I shoot ss197 at a "rimfire only" spinning steel target. I've shot as close as 20 yards. There's been no damage to the steel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please elaborate as to the brand/model of spinner. Can you hear the shots hit the metal while using hearing protection. I guess if the answer is no, and you can't hear it, at least with a spinning target you would see it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts