FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am Charl van Wyk who is a South African missionary working in south and Central Africa. I am the author of: Shooting Back – The Right and Duty of Self-Defense.

I am pretty excited to be connected to all of you. I would love to discuss and hear from you how to use weapons responsibly and defend ourselves in times of any forms of attack.

Thanks,
Charl

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Are you this guy???

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
:welcomesigntb3: aboard !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting video indeed – you made a few good points about psychological training; and I would agree that it extends far beyond paper targets..

I would imagine there are those who rely too much on handgun sights and lasers, and when under combat stress with increased heart rate and tunnel vision, etc. – those sites disappear, accuracy decreases, and critical judgmenttime increases.

Even though there is no training exercise I’m aware of that comes close to what mind and body experiences during combat or when self/family/friendslives are threatened – There are a few ways to simulate this stress response under controlled conditions. All you have todo is run a few laps or miles just prior to combat pistol drills. Those who have never done this are amazed by how an increased heart rate affects vision, fine motor control, stance, etc. It’s also amazing how many 50yd range warriors who cannot hit a silhouette at 10 yards while under stress.

Unfortunately, this type of training requires a specific environment and may not fly at your local indoor/outdoor range.

I’ve even seen instructors put duct tape over pistol sights or remove AR laser batteries prior to room clearing drills – which reinforces the point you made about the firearm becoming an extension of your arm. It also teaches how to respond if sights were obscured, batteries failed, or if the situation required rapid response.

Work/life prevents me from frequently visiting this site, but when I do, your presence here will make the experience that much more valuable – welcome.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts