FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say this is the first FN I have ever owned and I must say it is the sweetest pistol I have ever shot! I have a few questions for you all regarding range results you have had.

I have been to the range 3 times and I have 200rds down the barrell. I am having a very hard time getting any kind of grouping or accuracy out of this pistol. Please note this is in a free standing position anywhere from 10-50 yds using ss197sr ammo.

I have a HK Tactical USp that I am very accurate with, but I have also ben shooting this for a few years and I am very comfortable with the weight and trigger pull.

Some of the questions I have are...
1. When you are squeezing the trigger are you pulling in one complete motion or are you pulling gently until it stops and then squeezing from that position?
2.Has anyone had any trigger work done to come down from the 5lb pull?
3.Does mounting a light actually improve the accuracy...I have read that it does.
4. I guess the main thing I am asking is am I doing something wrong and do you have any tips to that would be helpfull when shooting this pistol.

I want to make it clear that I am not in any way trying to blame these things on the pistol...I know it is something I am doing and I am just looking for any help you can give me. Thanks in advance, Justin :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I no longer have mine, as I sold it to buy a 1911 a few months ago. But, I too didn't shoot it much better than any other gun.

Then on 1 trip - I just hit the zen spot. For some reason, I just figured out the trigger and it was very accurate.

Only hit that zen spot on 1 trip - admittedly, however, I probably only made 5 trips with the gun before I sold it. I can justify the ammo cost much more out of my Ps90 than I can from a handgun.

Anyway - just keep practicing. Try shooting a few roounds, and then adjust your rip, and then try some more. Then, maybe try using differnt parts of your trigger finger.... The pad, the tip, and the 1st joint of your finger. Figure out what works best for you. I have a few guns that I use different grip styles and different parts of my trigger finger to shoot well. It can depend on the gun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did on one occasion hit the bullseye from 30yds and I know I had a good steady hold, but other than that I am lucky to get 5 or 6 rounds on a 6" diameter out of a full clip. I am almost sure it has to do with the awkward tigger pull...Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Wll, I shoot pretty good at 7-10 yards. I suck past that.

I did 99% of my shooting with that gun at those ranges. I inially bought it for a home defense gun. So, I resighted it in for 7 yards actually. I suck at long distance ranges with a handgun, so I never really shot it that far out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
AZDUDE said:
Does anyone know where I can search my serial# to see when and where the gun was made?
U would have to call FN. But, all Five Sevens are made in Belgium to my knowledge.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
My IOM was made in Cambodia

·
Registered
8 Posts
AZDUDE said:
First of all let me say this is the first FN I have ever owned and I must say it is the sweetest pistol I have ever shot! I have a few questions for you all regarding range results you have had.

I have been to the range 3 times and I have 200rds down the barrell. I am having a very hard time getting any kind of grouping or accuracy out of this pistol. Please note this is in a free standing position anywhere from 10-50 yds using ss197sr ammo.

I have a HK Tactical USp that I am very accurate with, but I have also ben shooting this for a few years and I am very comfortable with the weight and trigger pull.

Some of the questions I have are...
1. When you are squeezing the trigger are you pulling in one complete motion or are you pulling gently until it stops and then squeezing from that position?
2.Has anyone had any trigger work done to come down from the 5lb pull?
3.Does mounting a light actually improve the accuracy...I have read that it does.
4. I guess the main thing I am asking is am I doing something wrong and do you have any tips to that would be helpfull when shooting this pistol.

I want to make it clear that I am not in any way trying to blame these things on the pistol...I know it is something I am doing and I am just looking for any help you can give me. Thanks in advance, Justin :?
U just need to get off you HK TAC 45 & keep on shooting ......... By the way U need the Supprossor also lots of Fun ........ LOL "J" ..... :)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
H&k's blow goats :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iCeMaN said:
H&k's blow goats :roll:
I can see from your list that you don't care for them at all :-D

So no one has any other input on shooting this pistol :roll: Practice is the obvious answer, but I was hoping to hear from some people with first hand experience. I have read every other thread regarding this.

Has anyone noticed a difference shooting the ss195lf compared to the ss197sr

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The 195 is a bit dirtier than the 197. I prefer 197. The point of impact will be little bit different depending on which one you shoot (in the Five Seven)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I shoot factory rounds with my Five-seveN :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
iCeMaN said:
I shoot aftermarket rounds with my Five-seveN :?
Hope ya don't blow it up then. I'm sticking with factory rounds - especially in light of what happened to that other guy....

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I haven't had an issue yet and i could do what he did lol :roll:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
tqtran said:
iCeMaN said:
I shoot...with my Five-seveN
I don't know if I would openly post that where FNH can see it.
Since aftermarket rounds CAN void your warranty.
I can replace it if you are referring to a MISHAP!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes.... the FN spies are watching.... They'll look up "iceman" in the federal database and void his warranty. :lol:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
BUSTED!!! Then they will have to figure out if it is regarding my IOM or USG :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts